S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Strange issue with locks

Old 01-22-2018, 11:38 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Strange issue with locks

I recently started experiencing a strange issue with my driver side lock. If I unlock the car I can hear the lock disengage, however the moment I go to open the door and pull the handle (either outside or inside) it relocks. The only way to open the door is to push the unlock while pulling the handle. Another thing I notice is that the manual lock switch inside is always free floating, it does nothing. This just started out of nowhere and the only thing I have been doing is installing a roll-bar, which I dont think can be related.

To me it seems logical that something is broke inside the door although it seems electrical and I don't want to tear the door apart for nothing. Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 01-22-2018, 12:49 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Door comes apart super quick. Just do it!
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ga...e-such-158388/
Old 01-23-2018, 05:03 PM

Received 280 Likes on 140 Posts

The manual lock switch has a piece that extends down to the metal rod that does that actual locking. That part is broken. Here's a pic from another user (forget who, sorry, but his thread is around here somewhere):

Unfortunately you can't buy just the switch, you have to buy the whole handle assembly.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:20 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

a bit off topic but, it is kind of funny i had to replace this on my 95 civic hatch recently and its like the same exact mechanism. I wonder if it is literally the same piece it looks almost identical
Old 01-25-2018, 08:03 PM
Jub

Received 386 Likes on 309 Posts

As twohoos pointed out, the plastic piece of the lock mechanism that connects to the rod breaks off. I've broken this twice now on my car in 2 autocross seasons. I have a tendency to clutch my left knee against my door panel while cornering. I thought I broke the habit this past year but, again, have broken door locks. I looked for over a month to find a used one on ebay last time around. It seemed there were many passenger side door handles available though driver sides were few and far between. I had to order one from Australia and pay shipping. Anyways, try to be conscientious of holding yourself in place with your left leg while driving hard. I am 99% sure that is the culprit of the issue. I've been wondering if I was the only one to have this problem...

Last edited by Jub; 01-26-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:41 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Jub
As twohoos pointed out, the plastic piece of the lock mechanism that connects to the rod breaks off. I've broken this twice now on my car in 2 autocross seasons. I have a tendency to clutch my left knee against my door panel while cornering. I thought I broke the habit this past year but, again, have broken door locks. I looked for over a month to find a used one on ebay last time around. It seemed there were many passenger side door handles available though driver sides were few and far between. I had to order one from Australia and pay shipping. Anyways, try to be conscientious of holding yourself in place with your left leg while driving hard. I am 99% sure that is the culprit of the issue. I've been wondering if I was the only one to have this problem...
Ha! I actually do 15-20 HPDES a year and wear a hole in my leg from doing that! So I am betting your guess is correct.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:18 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Also have a problem with my driver side lock... can someone help me figure it out?
Its with the inside lock button... when I push/pull to lock/unlock, it does not go all the way. I have to slightly lift the inside door handle while push/pulling the button and then it locks/unlocks as normal
The following users liked this post:
Carbon Blue (08-10-2019)
Old 01-31-2018, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B KOO
Also have a problem with my driver side lock... can someone help me figure it out?
Its with the inside lock button... when I push/pull to lock/unlock, it does not go all the way. I have to slightly lift the inside door handle while push/pulling the button and then it locks/unlocks as normal
Same thing for me! When I hit the remote lock, hear the noise of stuff actuating... but doesn't lock. I have to manually partial hold the inside latch plus switch the lock. Just pushing the lock inside minus pulling the handle doesn't work. I was looking to buy a new actuator to fix this. Sorry OP, don't mean to hijack this thread.
01 model with this issue
Old 02-01-2018, 01:09 PM

Received 280 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by akirakun
Same thing for me! When I hit the remote lock, hear the noise of stuff actuating... but doesn't lock. I have to manually partial hold the inside latch plus switch the lock. Just pushing the lock inside minus pulling the handle doesn't work. I was looking to buy a new actuator to fix this. Sorry OP, don't mean to hijack this thread.
01 model with this issue
Probably either handle position or a bent actuator arm. The handle mounting holes are a little oversized to allow for fore/aft position adjustment (and maybe a little up/down, I forget). A bent actuator arm might no longer have the proper "reach" from the manual switch back to the actual door lock. Since they're reasonably thin, you might be able to "unbend"/re-shape it.
Old 11-15-2021, 09:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Know I'm late to the party but I've just found the fix for this issue after hours of tinkering. You need to take the outer door handle off and thread the rod attached to the door handle out till its flush with the part it screws into.

Test it for proper alignment when u put it back in by locking and unlocking the interior lock. Should lock and unlock freely.

I've broken countless interior plastic locks and had the same issues above. This fixed my issues.

Last edited by williamb81; 11-15-2021 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Update