S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Strange noise from transmission/clutch?

Old 05-19-2018, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange noise from transmission/clutch?

Hey everyone,
Started having this issue recently and wanted some of your input on it. Tried looking it up but due to the vagueness of it I couldn't find any threads, so if this is a relatively common issue I apologize.
I noticed that there was this.. Odd grinding noise coming from the front of the transmission/back of the engine. It's very difficult to describe, so I took this video that captures the noise.
A few things I've noticed- The sound doesn't go away, whether the clutch is in or out. It makes the noise at idle. I can barely hear it while driving, and can't hear it at all when driving hard, so I'm unsure if the noise scales with RPMs. The clutch is, from what I've been told, the stock OEM unit. Nothing has been changed yet. Vehicle has almost 90k miles. I'm unsure whether or not this is related, however under high load, the clutch pedal is very "sticky." Initially incredibly stiff when pressing the pedal.
While I don't believe the TCT has been changed on this vehicle, the sound doesn't appear to be coming from anywhere near that area. It's definitely emanating from the back of the engine/front of the transmission.

Video:

Thanks guys
Old 05-19-2018, 11:48 PM

Received 343 Likes on 320 Posts

Check crank end float too eliminate thrust washer wear.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:02 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Does the sound change with hot or cold engine?
Old 05-20-2018, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by noodels
Check crank end float too eliminate thrust washer wear.
Sorry but what's the way to check this?

Originally Posted by flanders
Does the sound change with hot or cold engine?
The noise does change when the engine gets hot. It's a hard to describe noise, I'll get a recording of it when I can.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:05 PM

So I turned over the car this morning and the noise was there when cold. I let it sit, and when warmed up the noise apparently went away. I recall hearing noises even when warmed up, so I let the car sit again until it cooled down, turned it on again, and the sound came back. I then took it for a quick stint around the highway to warm it up. Came back, and yet again little to no noise. The video below is the car idling after driving it around for about half an hour.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-20-2018, 02:44 PM

Received 1,310 Likes on 990 Posts

So if I understood that, its now only making the noise when cold, and while you reproduced the noise twice today while cold, you made a recording when it was warm and not making the noise?

Do I have that right?
Old 05-20-2018, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
So if I understood that, its now only making the noise when cold, and while you reproduced the noise twice today while cold, you made a recording when it was warm and not making the noise?

Do I have that right?
Correct. The warm recording is just in case it /is/ making a noise that I just happened to miss or didn't consider out of the ordinary.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:57 PM

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

I couldn't really hear much. The only thing I thought I picked up on was a faint rattling which I thought could have been the catalytic converter honeycomb starting to make noise but wasn't sure. Could you point out where exactly in the videos it is making noise? If the issue doesn't change with the clutch in or out then I would think that the issue is related to the motor (ie. before the transfer of power to the transmission).
Old 05-20-2018, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Soviet
I couldn't really hear much. The only thing I thought I picked up on was a faint rattling which I thought could have been the catalytic converter honeycomb starting to make noise but wasn't sure. Could you point out where exactly in the videos it is making noise? If the issue doesn't change with the clutch in or out then I would think that the issue is related to the motor (ie. before the transfer of power to the transmission).
The first few seconds are when it's most clear to me. That metallic cackling, almost like two metal balls vibrating against each other. I'll try to check the cat see if it's that in the meantime
Old 05-22-2018, 10:07 PM

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by laitoukid
The first few seconds are when it's most clear to me. That metallic cackling, almost like two metal balls vibrating against each other. I'll try to check the cat see if it's that in the meantime
In the first video during the beginning it sounds like a rattling catalytic converter. Check out this video I made on the subject, it has some sample noise that you can reference: