S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Strong fuel odor!

Old 04-10-2005, 06:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Strong fuel odor!

My S has smells like it has a gas leak. The cap is on tight(it has had a couple of new gas caps already for not being able to get them to go on) and it does not seem like the odor is originating from there. The oder is under the car by the drivers rear wheel. The vapor canister looks dry and there is no oder under the hood or in the trunk. The oder is so strong that it will make you sick in the garage. Better not light a match either.

Anyone else have this problem before?
Old 04-10-2005, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i forgot to put my oil fill cap back on and it smelled like gas... check that
Old 04-11-2005, 09:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this exact problem. It's the same smell and came from the same place. It would only happen when driving the car hard on hot days in high elevation. I have no idea what it was but I haven't smelled it for a couple years now. Some people thought it was the vapor canister getting over saturated.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've just proven to myself I don't drink too much
My memory is still OK enuf!

"There is a Honda service bulletin, (04-002) which addresses this problem for MY 02 & some MY 03's. Some vehicles came with fuel filler tubes with deformed threads for the gas cap. As a result the cap can click before it's seated, causing the check engine light to come on. The fix is to replace the filler neck."

See thread https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=240255

Take care,

Siepel
Old 04-11-2005, 07:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by david1,Apr 10 2005, 06:53 PM
My S has smells like it has a gas leak. The cap is on tight(it has had a couple of new gas caps already for not being able to get them to go on) and it does not seem like the odor is originating from there. The oder is under the car by the drivers rear wheel. The vapor canister looks dry and there is no oder under the hood or in the trunk. The oder is so strong that it will make you sick in the garage. Better not light a match either.

Anyone else have this problem before?
"it has had a couple of new gas caps already for not being able to get them to go on"

Get an O.E.M cap and/or take it to the deaer. The cap should last a very long time............unless something is grossly wrong.

Utah
Old 10-14-2006, 03:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the exact same problem. Could not figure out why for 2 years my car smelled of gas. Turns out the fuel filler neck was defective.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gti2000
I had the exact same problem. Could not figure out why for 2 years my car smelled of gas. Turns out the fuel filler neck was defective.
If the fuel filler neck is defective, why wouldn't it smell all the time? why only on hot days?

Im dealing with tis issue right now and I'm not undrestanding all the suggestions of cracks and leaks. Isn't a crack/leak/deformity permanent? Why smell only on hot days?
Old 04-18-2019, 12:59 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

For those with the defective filler neck, are you guys turning and tightening the cap correctly? If you do not, you will smell gas.

... Yes, the filler neck is defective on some early AP1s.
... Yes, there's a TSB for it.

But yes, you can use an OEM gas cap, and as long as you straddle the outside and turn it correctly (until the inside/inner ring of the cap tightens a few revolutions first, and then you get the clicks on the outside ring), then you can go for years without having to fix it. I'm going on 8 years and only my second gas cap after the first one cracked (the first one I believe lasted 8ish years as well).

Practice tightening it, and I think it's worth that extra 2 seconds at the pump vs going through the headache of replacing the filler neck.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:31 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

For what its worth, on both my 01 and 02, the cap would click prematurely initially a few revolutions but as long as I kept turning it would then free up and spin until it was actually supposed to engage the clicks and be properly seated. Every once in a blue moon I have to fuss with it to get past the initial clicks to actually tighten, but that's rare and can always get it with a little more effort. I actually wasn't aware there was a TSB for it, but my case may not be as severe as others have experienced, or maybe I just inadvertently learned the behavior and adapted my twist technique accordingly.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:13 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by starbai
If the fuel filler neck is defective, why wouldn't it smell all the time? why only on hot days?

Im dealing with tis issue right now and I'm not undrestanding all the suggestions of cracks and leaks. Isn't a crack/leak/deformity permanent? Why smell only on hot days?
It is generally better to start a new thread than replying to a 14 year old thread......

Quick Reply: Strong fuel odor!