S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   Strong fuel smell? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/strong-fuel-smell-147050/)

twohoos 09-02-2003 04:11 PM

All of a sudden I'm getting a strong smell of fuel from my car. Car is running well (though I'm obviously not going to push it!), gas cap is tight, exhaust connections appear sound. It seems to be coming from the engine bay -- the dashboard vents seem to blow the fumes strongly, and I got a good whiff when I opened the hood, but a cursory glance didn't reveal anything obvious.

What do you guys think? Fuel injectors? Manifold leak? Something else? Anybody else have this?

Thanks,
John

KYS2000 09-02-2003 04:13 PM

I had this when my fuel pressure guage broken and was leaking fuel out the face of the gauge.

Prolene 09-02-2003 04:17 PM

Have you done any fuel related mods? Check the fuel rail tightness as I think this holds the injectors in place, and we removed the fuel rail and injectors to put in the Hondata gasket.

Reignman 09-02-2003 04:34 PM

Yeah your fuel rail might need to be tightened down or you might has a small leak in your fuel line. Look under your car and see if there is anything leaking. There is also a black line running to the bottom of your fuel pressure regulator. I would check that hose to see if there are any leaks. I had that fuel smell in my car also but that was after my supercharger was put on with a larger fuel pump.

Road Rage 09-02-2003 04:48 PM

Originally posted by twohoos
All of a sudden I'm getting a strong smell of fuel from my car. Car is running well (though I'm obviously not going to push it!), gas cap is tight, exhaust connections appear sound. It seems to be coming from the engine bay -- the dashboard vents seem to blow the fumes strongly, and I got a good whiff when I opened the hood, but a cursory glance didn't reveal anything obvious.

What do you guys think? Fuel injectors? Manifold leak? Something else? Anybody else have this?

Thanks,
John

With the age of your car, if it is not an obvious fuel leak, you could have a saturated emissioins canister - this can happen over time, esp. when people "top off" the fuel tank manually after the auto shut off clicks. Also check to see if a hose to the canister is off or damaged.

RevJunky 09-02-2003 04:54 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Prolene
[B]Have you done any fuel related mods?

cdelena 09-02-2003 05:11 PM

A missing oil cap will also provide the hydrocarbon aroma in the cockpit.

1FastS2k 09-02-2003 06:11 PM

I've noticed this on mine a few times also, but usually only when I get out of the car. A strong fuel smell. I just assumed that I overfilled the tank.

spider 09-02-2003 07:18 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by VTECxTurbo
[B]

Remember my car has this same problems too?

RevJunky 09-02-2003 07:41 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by spider
[B]

Was it ever fixed?