S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   Suspension bushings... (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/suspension-bushings-9761/)

Elistan 03-21-2001 08:39 PM

I've decided to buy some non-compliant suspension bushings for my stook. (It's my daily driver, but I track it a lot and don't mind sitffness.) I've been doing a bit of investigation and found the Mugen set from King. http://www.king-motorsports.com/products/m.../suspension.asp It'd be $629 for the components I'd want. Ouch. Why is the upper arm set so much more than the others?

Anyway, there's also Spoon, but I have no idea what the cost is. Giampiero?

Are there any other options out there? Does anybody have any experience with either set?

One other question while I'm at it - I think it'll be worthwhile to install a new sway bar at the same time. Comptech's adjustable one is probably overkill for my weekend warrior goals. But what about Comptech's regular one? How does it compare to the Mugen? I've driven a Mugen equipped stook and was quite impressed, but I'm curious if anybody has any comments about the Comptech one.

Thanks.

Schatten 03-22-2001 04:07 AM

not even sure what the Mugen's are made of. Polyurethane? Or perhaps Polygraphite?

Suspension Techniques uses Polygraphite. I was about to email them several months ago regarding any kind of initiative to supply such bushings for the s2000, but they seem to deal with domestic cars of all ages. I had a rear set on the Mustang years ago. Definately _much_ stiffer than polyurethane equivilant.

Regarding the sway bar: I'm holding out for the adjustable Comptech. I just want that added bit of tuning in the suspension.

/my two cents

Scott @ King Motorsports 03-22-2001 05:05 AM

Hello All-

The Mugen Hard Bushings kits are constructed from a very hard rubber compound using all the factory molds. This rubber is 120% stiffer than the stock material. This is a much better way to go than poly bushings which require an endless amount of upkeep to keep them quiet. The beauty of the Mugen bushings is you install them and forget about them. They never wear out and never make a noise. They also allow the suspension to travel throughout it's range without binding, a common problem with poly bushings. We have used the Mugen Hard Bushing kits in every Championship race car we have built since 1984 with exceptional results.

Please feel free to call us at any time (262-593-2800) or email us (tech-staff@kingmotorsports.com) if you have any further questions.

Cheers!

Scott

Luder94 03-22-2001 06:19 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Schatten
[B]not even sure what the Mugen's are made of.

The Reverend 03-22-2001 07:57 AM

Originally posted by Scott @ King Motorsports
They never wear out and never make a noise.
I'd be careful making claims like that... never is a very long time. But they do sound like good bushings.

We used the entire suspension techniques kit on my friend's civic and I used a handful of them on my old Integra. They now come with a jelly type of lube. It works pretty well if you really work it in there, but that shit is seriously evil to get off your hands - WEAR GLOVES! Anyway, the civic squeeks quite a bit from the bushings. Partly because it's got the full set, and partly because Sean didn't think it was necessary to really glop on the lube too much. After we learned from that, I made sure to use lots of it in my integra and there weren't any noticable problems, although they're still not COMPLETELY silent. (then again, neither are stock bushings).

Elistan 03-22-2001 02:38 PM

Hmm... I really like the idea of minimal upkeep. :) Now I need to find more info about the Spoon products...

mingster 03-22-2001 03:28 PM

Spoon engine mounts bushing: $795
Spoon gear box mount bushings: $678

Spoon suspension bushings: $Coming

Just to give you guys an idea.

GTRPower 03-22-2001 08:53 PM

Reverend-

I used the Mugen engine mounts on my Integra Type R.

They never wore out- even with over 10K miles of track abuse over two years, and two magazine tests. They were maintenance free. They also held the engine better than the stock ones even with the higher specific output we had tuned into the engine. My Integra had arguably the most track miles of any Integra over that timespan- and the mounts worked just fine.

I would think that the same product for the S2000 by the same company would perform the same.

For those of you who are thinking about these bushings I recommend them- they work as advertised.

The Reverend 03-22-2001 09:16 PM

I wouldn't expect a bunch of track miles to wear them out. What I would expect to wear them out is 10-15 years of regular driving - with temperature ups and downs. That the kind of thing that wears out stock bushings after several years - and it's the same thing that at SOME point in time will wear out the Mugen bushings too. Perhaps that point in time is 100 years, but they don't last forever and I doubt they last more than 10 years without showing wear.

Never is a word you should use very carefully.

[Edited by The Reverend on 03-22-2001 at 10:21 PM]

Giampiero 03-22-2001 09:17 PM

Elistan;Suspension bush kit from Spoon is $985.00(part#51350
AP1-002)