S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Swapping my (maybe faulty) ECU

Old 11-23-2005, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping my (maybe faulty) ECU

Have an OBD II issue. ECU does everything fine -- car runs great, OBD II generates codes as it should, etc. -- but it just won't take when the inspections station hooks it up....gives a "not ready" reading as if it was just reset.....and before anyone starts, yes, I have driven it after each of (eight) not-ready inspections for far more cycles than it would take to reset normally....after 12,000 miles I'm pretty sure that it's not going to reset.
Trust me, have been through three mechanics on this one, at this point I don't think I need advice on what the acutal problem is. The last mechanic said that chances are high that the ECU has an issue.....
After that, time had run out on inspection so I got an omissions exemption for this year
Old 11-23-2005, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I remember (read it somewhere on here) the odometer info is stored in the console as part of the display and not in the ECU.

Could be wrong, but pretty sure about that.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:21 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

but the other question is, did you get the key with it? the ignition disabler is embeded into ECU. if you change the ECU, you'll need matching key to work.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:07 PM

Aha! the key....there you go, that's exactly the kind of thing I didn't know and was worried about. No, I haven't actually bought the ECU yet, just ran it down, now trying to figure out if a DIY job is feasible before I part with the . Probably the keycan be had with it.
My main issue is I don't want to make giant problems by trying this thing out. Of course, whatever I screw up can probably be rectified by putting the odl one right back in, but don't want to do anything irreversible, and don't want to create mroe problems than i solve.
So it won't effect the odo at all? That's a start if that's true But maybe radio codes?
Old 11-23-2005, 01:45 PM

Two bolts hold the ecu, with 3 wiring harnesses. You arrange a time at your dealership to rekey the ecu to your keys. About 90-150 depending on dealer. Some dealerships insist on reprogramming your remote dohicky but there is a thread here that easily describes how to do this on your own.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:36 PM

radio code is in the head unit. not related.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:48 PM
Former Moderator

Received 290 Likes on 269 Posts

Is the back up fuse installed?
Old 11-23-2005, 04:26 PM

what about if you buy an aftermark ecu...mugen/spoon/j's. what happens to key id then?
Old 11-23-2005, 05:10 PM

same thing as if you were putting a new stock ecu i assume. retrive old immobilizer code before you remove old ecu then program new code into new (stock or aftermarket) ecu.
at the dealer that i work at we use what is called the honda diagnostic tablet.
i in fact replaced a pcm in an oddesy today.
all i did was get the pcm code, imobilizer code, and the password off the computer thru honda's interactive network.
plugged the tablet into the dlc and followed the directions displayed on the tablet.
this should only take about an hour or so to do but our tablet is fussy and i had to retry it more than once.
replacing a pcm/ecm is something i would NOT suggest you do as a diy.
i wouldnt do it on a vehicle with an imobilizer unless i have acess to honda's IN (interatcive network).
Old 11-23-2005, 05:31 PM

after market ECU's does not use immobilizer.

Quick Reply: Swapping my (maybe faulty) ECU