S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

TEIN Flex coilovers (EDFC compatible) - Opinions on montube vs twin tube design

Old 04-29-2004, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TEIN Flex coilovers (EDFC compatible) - Opinions on montube vs twin tube design

I am in the market for coilovers and have been swamped with information. Here are the coilovers I am researching:

Tein RA - 16 way adjustable 10kg/mm front, 10kg/mm rear
Tein Flex - 16 way adjustable 10kg/mm front, 12kg/mm rear
Buddyclub -16 way adjustable
JIC
Zeal - 6 way adjustable

I have heard great things about all of them. I daily drive my car but I drive very aggresively, auto-x a lot, and track every once in the while. The car does have some snap oversteer characteristics but I can always control it by countersteering or just let it drift. I do want a more neutral setup with less body roll and I want to get rid of that horrible feeling that you get when you are making a hard turn over a crest and car feels very un-planted and too softly sprung. I am also curious about coilover systems that run equal stiffness for both front and rear springs, not like 10 Front and 12 Rear, it seems like a good idea in theory.

My main question is that the Tein Flex's coming out in a few weeks for the S2000 are twin tube design, EDFC compatible which is awesome (for those of you who do not know, this is a small box that you put in your car and you can control the dampening stiffness from the inside of your car), 10kg/mm front and 12kg/mm rear (but any spring rate can be ordered), and chaning the ride height will not affect pre-load and compression.

Is the twin tube system any worse than a monotube design?

And btw, I would use the EDFC a lot. Also, since the flex's are 1430 retail, and the RA's are more, the EDFC is only $350ish so I think it isn't a useless, expensive toy. I would find it very useful, especially since I auto-x and track.

Anyone's thought on this new FLEX system, including the EDFC, is greately appreciated

Thanks

Anthony
Old 04-29-2004, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone of the setup will work to suit your application, most importantly is how much spring rate you're going to be using that matters. If you can stand up to harsh road use, then a higher spring rate will benefit track conditions, otherwise a lowered spring rate would give a better overall drive experience. There are multiple Zeal types to choose from much like Tein, the RA would be ideal for primary track work. The number of adjustable dials may not necessary mean the more the better IMO. What it comes down to is budget, brand/manufacturer preference, spring rate, application use, materials constructed (weight savings vs weight gains).
Old 04-29-2004, 07:58 PM

Budget, I'd say anything under 2k. I like a stiff ride, but nothing crazy stiff. If anyone has ever been in a Porsche GT2, it is stiff as hell, but not punishing. Members report that even with RA's and Buddyclubs with 10k ect, they have a very comfortable ride because they dont have their shocks too stiff.

It's just that these FLEX's are 400 less than the RA's and Tein told me it is bc they are the twin tube design which is easier to manufacture but that quality wise, there is nothing better about monotube.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:10 PM

you know the EDFC will only work with the flex right..... just so you know. the two main ones i would get are the tein RS or the buddy club race spec
Old 04-29-2004, 09:25 PM

BlueS2000boy, yeah I know as I posted above, but are you saying the FLEX is not as good as the other Tein's? If so, why not
Old 04-29-2004, 09:47 PM

the edfc does not work on the S due to clearance problems.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:40 PM

What ya guys think about the Amuse coilovers?
Old 04-29-2004, 11:03 PM

Tein told me the edfc does work and it is based on whether or not an edfc compatible coilover is made for the S2K which before the FLEX, there was not. How would clearance problems affect this, if you know please let me know. Is it because there isn't enough clearance for the hood? Thanks for the info
Old 04-30-2004, 12:53 AM

Sources tell me that Tein Flex is manufactured in Taiwan instead of Japan, thus the pricing factor. Zeal's range would actually be approximately similar in price range when compared to the Tein's range if my memory serves me right.

Zeal like the rest of the reputable suspension makers in Japan have more than one version to suit different application/usage. Has anyone gone to the website to check out what's available? http://www.endless-sport.co.jp/product/zeal/

There are currently a few options to choose;

L1 - Function B2 (Primary Street & Light Winding Road/Track Use) - Height Adjustment & 6-Way Damper Adjustable | 2 preconfigured spring rates - Street: F6K R6K, Track: F8K R8K

L2 - Super Function AKA Z (Very lightweight design + lighter springs (Known as Zeal Swift Springs), Street & Track applicable however recommended for Street use.) - Height Adjustment & 6-Way Damper Adjustable | 1 preconfigured spring rate - F6K R6K. * Note this spring rate is also for track usage.

L3 - Function B6 (Full aluminium constructed shock with even lighter weight than the above - Bias for Track Applicable) - Height Adjustment & 6-Way Damper Adjustable | 2 preconfigured spring rates - Street: F6K R6K, Track: F8K R8K

L4 - Function S6 * Flagship * (Full aluminium construction + Zeal Swift Springs - Highly recommended for Track only) - Height Adjustment & 6-Way Damper Adjustable | 2 preconfigured spring rates - Street: F6K R6K, Track: F8K R8K

Zeal is also about to release a new series - Function X incorporating their latest technology and development. Currently no catalogue or specifications available at this stage.

You can download the current Zeal catalogue here, but you'd need to have the Japanese version Acrobat Reader downloaded. http://www.endless-sport.co.jp/prod...al/function.pdf
Old 04-30-2004, 07:09 AM

i have heard excellent things about zeal, especially the B6. I would definately get the 8,8 configuration if I ot Zeals.
Thanks for the info SSS 01

Quick Reply: TEIN Flex coilovers (EDFC compatible) - Opinions on montube vs twin tube design