S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Think my cars engine was replaced?

Old 03-05-2018, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think my cars engine was replaced?

First of all sorry if i'm posting in the wrong forum section, but if it is, please move this thread to a more appropriate forum section.

So, to cut a long story short, i got the car a year ago (came to my country in 07 from japan), had 100000 km and had a bad oil burning issue 1 Liter/ 800km, changed the valve stem seals and guides, still have some issue probably from rings (AP1 engine 03 car F20C2), not concerning amount of oil.
My problem is, i checked the VIN when it was being tracked in Japan and it all checked out km wise. Now my question is, my car has an F20C2 engine that is the europe spec engine right?, and the car was sold in japan new, so its JDM right? Can it be sold in japan with Europe engine? Or was it replaced with a Europe engine with many more miles on it? Can i somehow check the engine code# that the car came with from the factory with only my VIN#?

Thank you very much for your help, any input is appreciated, have a lovely day
Old 03-05-2018, 02:34 PM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

What model year is the car. Should be a sticker in one of the door jams with the VIN and build date. VIN should show AP1 (the F20C1 engine) or AP2. North America got the AP2 (F22C1) engine in 2004. Japan got it in 2006.

-- Chuck
Old 03-05-2018, 03:34 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

The engine VIN is on the rear section of the head on a green tag and it should match the VIN of the chassis. It might be near impossible to see the tag but then again there are some crafty folks on this forum. Good luck.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:43 PM
Community Organizer

Here is a picture of the tag location.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:18 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The VIN is also stamped on the block, right front while looking into the engine bay, right underneath the front most intake manifold bolt. If that doesn't match the VIN of the car then at least the short block has been replaced.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:51 AM

First of all i would like to thank you all for your helpful replies ,

The only markings i found on the engine were the ones "under" the injectors, the engine code, says its a 2002, and matches the little plaque on the front right by the radiator

thats the only markings i can read

The engine code shouldn't be the same as the VIN# right? From the VIN# and pink slip, i checked them and the car was made in December 2002, AP1 in Japan, sold in 03 so it got titled as "03 car" Engine is F20C2, which came with 2002+ AP1s right?
Also i got no cruise control and indicator stalk on the left side. I dont even know what part of the world my car was made for

Thank you once again for your help
Old 03-06-2018, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by yessamgerg
The VIN is also stamped on the block, right front while looking into the engine bay, right underneath the front most intake manifold bolt. If that doesn't match the VIN of the car then at least the short block has been replaced.

Does that number actually match the car's VIN exactly?
Old 03-07-2018, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Fivepointnine
Does that number actually match the car's VIN exactly?
I thought that the engine# was different from the VIN#, because if you analyse the VIN# it has nothing to do with the engine#, am i correct? Here is a quote from HiPER from the thread on how to read the s2k VIN#

Originally Posted by HiPER
The VIN for our car and any car after 1981 is a 17 character code. This post deals with only the S2000.

1. J (manufactured, Japan)
2. H (manufacturer, Honda)
3. M (passenger car, made in Japan)
4-6. AP1/AP2 (chassis)
7. 1 (coupe+manual transmission)
8. 4 (grade)
9. Check digit
10. Y, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 (model year, y=2000, 1=2001, etc)
11. T, S (manufacturing plant, T=Tochigi, S=Suzuka)
12-17. Production Number
Old 03-07-2018, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by UnlickyDude
I thought that the engine# was different from the VIN#, because if you analyse the VIN# it has nothing to do with the engine#, am i correct? Here is a quote from HiPER from the thread on how to read the s2k VIN#

I read somewhere that the production number of the car should be withing a couple numbers of the stamped production number of the engine (the part on the front you can see under the intake). My car production number is nowhere near the engine number (but the PO told me the engine had been replaced with a lower mileage unit, and there is evidence of engine removal). I was just curious on how close the original engine number actually matches the car production number.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:52 PM
Community Organizer

In the photo I posted above, the VIN on the rear of the head and the transmission were identical to the VIN on the car.

Quick Reply: Think my cars engine was replaced?