S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   Thoughts on buying AP1 that was over-revved (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/thoughts-buying-ap1-over-revved-1189483/)

wickedCircuits 11-06-2018 07:52 AM

Thoughts on buying AP1 that was over-revved

Hey everyone. I am thinking of purchasing a '02 S2k that has ~62k on the clock. The previous owner stated he mis-shifted and over-revved. He stated the RPMs went to ~10k before he pushed the clutch back in. Then it idled down and shut off.
When trying to start "It cranks over, but won't start. The cranking is slower and somewhat uneven."
I've done some searching through this and other forums, and from what I can tell, this thing probably bent a valve, or something else in the head.
I know in order to fix it, ill probably need at least a full gasket kit, and have some machine work done to check the deck, etc.
What else do you all think might be needed to get this back on the road?

Say Chi Sin Lo 11-06-2018 08:12 AM

Is the previous owner selling it for $3,000 or less? Otherwise, walk away man.

Over-revving tells you a lot about the previous owner:
1) Doesn't understand gearing. Who's not to say the idiot lugged the engine everywhere on top of over-revving it?
2) Mis-shifting. There's no way that was his first mis-shift. That car probably has experienced quite a bit of drivetrain shock throughout its life.

I've also heard stories about S2000 that has been over-revved. None of them turned out good.

roel03 11-06-2018 08:17 AM

It all depends on the price of the car and the condition. If it's a good deal when factoring in around $3000 for a new motor, why not.
​​
The previous post is a little too closed-minded. I blew my motor by overreving on track. It doesn't make me an idiot or a fool, it happens.

Say Chi Sin Lo 11-06-2018 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by roel03 (Post 24529968)
It all depends on the price of the car and the condition. If it's a good deal when factoring in around $3000 for a new motor, why not.
​​
The previous post is a little too closed-minded. I blew my motor by overreving on track. It doesn't make me an idiot or a fool, it happens.

I'm sorry, but if it's not $3,000 or below, I'm walking away.

B serious 11-06-2018 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by wickedCircuits (Post 24529958)
Hey everyone. I am thinking of purchasing a '02 S2k that has ~62k on the clock. The previous owner stated he mis-shifted and over-revved. He stated the RPMs went to ~10k before he pushed the clutch back in. Then it idled down and shut off.
When trying to start "It cranks over, but won't start. The cranking is slower and somewhat uneven."
I've done some searching through this and other forums, and from what I can tell, this thing probably bent a valve, or something else in the head.
I know in order to fix it, ill probably need at least a full gasket kit, and have some machine work done to check the deck, etc.
What else do you all think might be needed to get this back on the road?

It probably needs an engine.

His error may be indicative of his usage. So maybe there's other broken stuff on the car. Or maybe not. One mistake doesn't mean he abused the car. But...inspect it.

Budget for a new drive train.

Rebuilds don't usually work. So just plan on buying a low mile or JDM swap and going on with your life.

If the car+the drivetrain+labour are not worth it....then your decision is easy.

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 24529970)
I'm sorry, but if it's not $3,000 or below, I'm walking away.

This just doesn't seem like the car for you. You should walk away. Unless its under $3000.

wickedCircuits 11-06-2018 10:23 AM

Hes asking 6.5k, which according to kbb would be a good deal (if I could fix it cheap), but like you pointed out, I'm worried about hidden damage. I've been pricing out parts, and I could fix it relatively cheaply (~1k)

But what I'm gathering from you guys is that just fixing the broken bits in the head, and having it checked by a machine shop (the head) likely isn't going to fix it?

Budget for a new drive train.

Rebuilds don't usually work. So just plan on buying a low mile or JDM swap and going on with your life.

I know a 'gently used' motor is 3-4k, any idea what a full drivetrain would cost?
Also, why don't rebuilds usually work? I know that's a good way to fix stuff on other vehicles. I've seen other rebuilt motors run forever.

Say Chi Sin Lo 11-06-2018 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by wickedCircuits (Post 24530029)
Hes asking 6.5k, which according to kbb would be a good deal (if I could fix it cheap), but like you pointed out, I'm worried about hidden damage. I've been pricing out parts, and I could fix it relatively cheaply (~1k)

But what I'm gathering from you guys is that just fixing the broken bits in the head, and having it checked by a machine shop (the head) likely isn't going to fix it?

I know a 'gently used' motor is 3-4k, any idea what a full drivetrain would cost?
Also, why don't rebuilds usually work? I know that's a good way to fix stuff on other vehicles. I've seen other rebuilt motors run forever.

You've got to see what kind of vibe you get from the previous owner. You can tell if the previous owner was a car person/enthusiast, cared for the car, or just treated it as a really expensive household appliance.

Honestly, I know it may not be popular, but I really wouldn't touch that over-revved car. You don't know what's been cascaded down as far as damage is concerned. Let's just say that right now, Day 1 of ownership, you know you need to either rebuild the engine or swap in a new one. But you don't know what trickled down from that one over-revved event (there could be a few more that the previous didn't bother to disclose as well). Day 15 of ownership, new engine in, all "looks" to be ok.

Day 40, the transmission goes out. What you didn't know was that the transmission took a hit too from the over-revving, and various other drivetrain shock the car has been subjected to from the previous owner. But it doesn't show its ugly face until later on in your ownership experience.

1) Engine was over-revved... ehh, convince me
2) Vibe from the previous owner lend you to believe he didn't care for the car (hence the over-revving and other issues may or may not creep up)... Walk away man

Lastly, there are good deals to be had out there, by good owners who truly cared for the car. I picked up my 2000 AP1 Silverstone with 136,000miles for $7,900. It was bone stock, mechanically sound, well taken cared of by the previous owner. Be patient man. (Took me 5 months of passive searching to find mine).

Ultimately, it's your money. You have all the rights to fine comb the car based on your personal beliefs of what a good purchase is. For me, if you over-rev the car, or any other driver initiated damage, or if any non-wear item needs replacing that is beyond my repairing skills, I'm walking away in a heartbeat.

WVCR-V 11-06-2018 11:25 AM

Sound advice here. $6500 just sounds like an expensive headache. Was it overevved on the track? I've been driving manuals for 25 years (street only) and never overrevved anything nor has anyone I know. I think that is indicative of the owner.

Scigheras 11-06-2018 11:29 AM

About two years ago, I did exactly what you are considering. Bought a discounted car that had been over-revved and was misfiring. Pulled the head, and replaced the valvetrain. Engine has been running fine ever since (20.000 k's), except for mad oil consumption through the piston rings, but rebuilding the head has nothing to do with that. I think it cost me less than a grand in parts. Usually when people are saying it is hard to rebuild these motors it's because of the block, special FRM cylinder walls and very tightly specced bearings. The cylinder head is mostly like any other performance engine, and is nothing special to rebuild. However, always be wary of private sellers, there might be more wrong with the car then just an over-rev.

sam_spider 11-06-2018 12:10 PM

It's an 02 with 62k miles it can't have had that hard of a life. If you've seen the car in person, or in pictures, the condition should give an indicator of how well the car was cared for.

I wouldn't call someone who mis-shifted an idiot, or anything else, sh1t happens to the best of us. I'd check out the car and go over it, condition of the car overall would sway me one way or the other. $6500 is cheap if all it needs is headwork and new valves/retainers.