S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Thoughts on buying AP1 that was over-revved

Old 11-06-2018, 02:26 PM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

Lol an over-revved car is a reason to walk? Just seems a little overly careful, IMO.

Whatever. A lot of people over rev. I've done it twice at the track, and I'm about as smart as I look.

Its strange that he's willing to sell for $6500 instead of just fixing it and selling it in good condition? I guess some people are just less motivated.

The safe bet is to assume that it needs a longblock from the over-rev...and possibly a trans and diff from general abuse have occured. He was obviously having fun with it *WHICH IS NOT A BAD THING*...but its just better to budget for more damage and then be pleasantly surprised.

Who TF cares if he was kicking the shit out of the engine if you're going to replace it anyway. And who TF cares about how he took care of the drivetrain if you're budgeting to replace it if needed?

Is the rest of the car straight? No accidents? No stupid fixes or patches indicative of low intelligence and/or laziness? Suspension ok? VINs present on body panels? Seats not torn? Etc.

Is it worth everything you may need to fix?

Don't be emotional. Be logical.

At $6.5+engine+drivetrain, you're at like $10.5-11.5K. I'd pick it up for that price; why not?

BUT...I do my own labour and know that I could replace this engine/drivetrain pretty easily.

If you're planning on outsourcing the labor....then just buy one that runs.

Or pray you get lucky after replacing the head.

IDK why people are panicking about an over rev. You're planning on replacing the parts that busted from that spin to 10K anyway.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
Uhhh... I know I sound like a broken record, but this is really not a good purchase. There were a lot of details that we didn't know.

1) After it died, previous owner didn't fix it. And now we know the transfer of ownership requires a tow...

2) It spun on ice and got into an accident: "The car is aligned and balanced..."
- That sounds awfully vague, was there frame damage? Is that what was "realigned"?

3) It's obviously seen snow and driven on salted road. Rust is probably inevitable.

4) "There was no body damage..."
- At least one headlight is misaligned, along with obvious hit-related damage to the front bumper...

You're paying a lot of money for an inoperable car that was in an accident and will most likely require a new engine. Not to mention it's coming from an ad that has contradictions all over the place.
**Edited my post after reading the ad...

ehhh I think you're kinda just over stating a bit because you've decided it sucks.

Sure, the owner seems like kind of a dummy and is pretty accident prone....but the car's worth checking out and negotiating on.

It needs an engine and a front fender.

Sucks that he spun on ice. But he lives in Texas. If there is a tray of ice cubes spilled on a TX highway, there would be 7 accidents per ice cube because these people have no concept of what TF ice is.

Inspect closely, OP. Are you good at catching flaws, or just generally bad at most things? Be honest.

Go look at it. Nobody on here is going to be able to make this call for you.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:38 PM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
Where is all this stated?

Based on all this...I would not buy it. It seems he was just beating the shit out of it overall. It will cost you more than a LOT to make it straight and drivable.

Plus its been driven in the winter.

Plus he's either REALLY bad at driving or he's going out of his way to abuse it. Neither of which are attractive selling points.

Based on the over rev alone...no big deal. Based on the above...why on Earth would you ask if this car is worth it? Buy one that isn't trashed.

OR accept the fact that you'll kinda be driving a shitbox once you fix the drivetrain.
It's in the craigslist ad that OP posted.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
It's in the craigslist ad that OP posted.

I edited my post after reading the ad, bruv.

I still think its worth a look.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:48 PM

Its clear that the owner isn't the type of person who is more of an enjoyer than a fixer.

Fender smashed? Just ignore it.

Engine over revved? Sell this MF. Its got a dented fender anyway!
Old 11-06-2018, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

aaaaaaand this thread just became a moot point.

Guy just texted me stating he just sold it. Apparently someone else was less hesitant, haha.

Thank you guys so much for the insight!!

gonna keep my eyes out for a slightly less risky deal on one of these bad boys