S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Is this ticking normal?

Old 03-10-2019, 11:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is this ticking normal?

Engine noise has like a (very quiet) rattlesnake noise that increases with revs when driving and faint ticking noise around the fuel rails. Recently performed a valve adjustment... didn’t fix it. Retainers are fine (I know they don’t make noise, but still) TCT definitely has a brief and much more audible whizz/rattle on a cold start, but is that also it making a continuous clicking in the front of the crank case? Not sure exactly what I’m hearing.

Owned her for a week, still a novice. Any and all input is much appreciated!

EDIT:
Oil level is also good and brand new change full synthetic 10W-30 w/ Honda filter

Last edited by mr.penis; 03-10-2019 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds to me like a couple loose valves. Try adjusting them again right in the middle of spec. .009 in intake / .010-.011 in exhaust. Got mine pretty quiet the last couple times I did it following Rob Robinette's guide. https://robrobinette.com/S2000ValveAdjust.htm
Old 03-11-2019, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by kikkomon
Sounds to me like a couple loose valves. Try adjusting them again right in the middle of spec. .009 in intake / .010-.011 in exhaust. Got mine pretty quiet the last couple times I did it following Rob Robinette's guide. https://robrobinette.com/S2000ValveAdjust.htm
Just did it again today going off of Billman’s reccomendation 0.008” intake and 0.010” exhaust. Seems a little better but still hearing a slight rattle up front. I think I’m just going to bite the bullet and the the Ballade TCT, going to do it eventually so might as well start weeding out possibilities now
Old 03-11-2019, 09:06 PM

Received 77 Likes on 67 Posts

Sounds normal to me. Sounds like the fuel injectors.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:39 AM

Received 1,305 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by mr.penis
Just did it again today going off of Billman's reccomendation 0.008" intake and 0.010" exhaust. Seems a little better but still hearing a slight rattle up front. I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and the the Ballade TCT, going to do it eventually so might as well start weeding out possibilities now
Noooo! The Ballade tct is manually adjusted. Meaning you have to keep adjusting it from time to time. Get it too tight, and you will cause serious damage. Thus has happened to people.

Why not get a bulletproof tct that adjusts itself automatically, and that has a lifetime warranty, and is invented and supplied by someone with a bulletproof reputation who stands behind his product?
Old 03-12-2019, 02:46 PM

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Engine sounds good to me.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Noooo! The Ballade tct is manually adjusted. Meaning you have to keep adjusting it from time to time. Get it too tight, and you will cause serious damage. Thus has happened to people.

Why not get a bulletproof tct that adjusts itself automatically, and that has a lifetime warranty, and is invented and supplied by someone with a bulletproof reputation who stands behind his product?
Where are you finding info on readjustments of the Ballade? I’m not seeing anything beyond the initial backing off of the wingnut to set initial tension. Want to make sure I stay on that if it’s necessary.

Last edited by mr.penis; 03-15-2019 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Zer0ne
Sounds normal to me. Sounds like the fuel injectors.
I appreciate the reassurance. I will stop dicking around with my valves, put in the new TCT and just enjoy my car.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This video should shed some light on your problem.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by kikkomon
This video should shed some light on your problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDJoKIoSd-w
Yes, I’m feeling more reassured hearing things in regards to loud injector solenoids. I’ll verify with the stethoscope but this is drawing the most conclusive answer

Quick Reply: Is this ticking normal?