S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Ticking from under the hood

Old 01-04-2008, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking from under the hood

Has anyone had a problem like this? With the engine warm, at idle, I can hear a slight ticking sound coming from the engine. It sounds almost like a lifter. It is not that loud and you would only notice it if it is quiet, with the radio off and top up. If I give it a little gas, the speed of the ticking does not seem to increase, however. And, if I rev the engine and then release the pedal, the ticking sound goes away and then slowly returns after about 20 seconds. I have a 2007 model with only 6000 miles on the odo. The engine was properly broken in and never beat on. I hardly ever even take the care into vtec. The oil level is fine and it has had it's first oil change.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:51 AM

The source of the ticking noise in my '05 was a white sticker on the front of the engine that had curled up and was rubbing on a belt.

This person had the same problem:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0&#entry9368592
Old 01-04-2008, 01:02 PM

Valves ticks. It's not an issue.

Jason
Old 01-04-2008, 08:41 PM

DISCLAIMER: Sorry for any spelling or grammer errors im too drunk to give a damn right now.

More than likely its just valves since honda is known for its noisy(read beefy, for high rpm redline) valve train, but thats normal. It could be a bad timming tensioner they make a noise similar to that. If it bothers you, 1 you can wait and see if it gets louder. 2 go buy a stethoscope and see if you can narrow it down to 1 cyl. If it sounds like its comming from all the cyl then its valves, if it sounds really loud on 1 but silent on the others more than likely its a scored cyl, if it sounds like its comming from the front of the engine then its probably the tensioner. Also has it EVER overheated? If so it could more likely be a scored cyl. I had that happen to mine and it sounded EXACTLY the same way. or 3 take it to honda and let them check it out... should still be under warrenty.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it doesn't change speed with RPM, it isn't the valve train, cylinders, etc. Check for loose clips on hoses, rattling heat shields and brackets, etc. If it goes away revving down, it's usually just something rattling. Good luck!

Edit: You sure it's not coming from the clutch area? The clutch components can make small noises when free spinning.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure that it is your emissions control gadgets like EVAP or PCV, solenoids, to be more specific.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:30 AM

Yes, it definately does not change speed with rpm, so it must not be a valve. The engine has never overheated. It does go away when the engine is revved and then will return after about 20 seconds at idle. I guess I'll take it back to the dealership, but you know that they'll claim they hear nothing and can do nothing. I'll just end up wasting my day.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by redsoxx,Jan 6 2008, 07:30 AM
Yes, it definately does not change speed with rpm, so it must not be a valve. The engine has never overheated. It does go away when the engine is revved and then will return after about 20 seconds at idle. I guess I'll take it back to the dealership, but you know that they'll claim they hear nothing and can do nothing. I'll just end up wasting my day.
I have the same issue. They told me it was my fuel injectors. Let us know what your dealer has to say.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:17 PM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Timing chain tensioner my guess...just replaced mine and no more noise

sound like this?

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=544760
Old 01-06-2008, 05:33 PM

most likely fuel injector solenoids.

it's normal

Quick Reply: Ticking from under the hood