S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   tiny coolant leak someplace... (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/tiny-coolant-leak-someplace-192935/)

lig 03-21-2004 05:00 PM

tiny coolant leak someplace...

Hey all -

I'm wondering if any of you all have experienced this. '02 11,900 miles (weekend sunny day car :) )

Last couple of times taking the car out I noticed a whiff of antifreeze odor. More the smell of evaporating coolant. Not losing much in the way of coolant at all - I've never had to add coolant for as long as I've owned the car (certainly not true for oil :LOL: ) but now it's down to maybe the "low" level in the reserve tank.

No leaks under the car or in the car that I could see or feel... I literally had to get out and sniff around and it seems like it's coming from near the firewall on the drivers side - somewhere near the intake manifold...

I suppose I'll have to call the dealer and have them look for it but I'm not really excited about that prospect.

Thanks for any input!

xviper 03-21-2004 07:00 PM

I'd check the more obvious places for signs of dried coolant:
-coolant lines to the throttle body.
-heater line valve near the battery.
-rad drain valve.
-coolant line to oil filter base.
-bleeder valves - one on top near intake manifold and one on metal line that runs across the top of the firewall.
-overflow tube from rad cap to reservoir.
-main rad hoses that you can see and can feel.
-passenger side footwell (heater core).

lig 03-21-2004 07:04 PM

The bleeder valve and the metal tubes - it looks like there is a whitish residue on all of the joints... I'm not sure if that is normal or not. :(

I'll have to investigate a bit more later...

Thanks, xviper! :)

mtm584 03-21-2004 07:11 PM

Not really a good way to check, in the past i have took a water hose and drained the fluid and used the water hose to find the leak but it might now work, keep us updated..

lig 03-21-2004 08:29 PM

hehe... you don't like my sniff testing? :) I couldn't think of another quick and easy way to find the leak.

No drips anywhere... and I could only smell it near the firewall. Only dectectable inside the car if it sits for a minute or so...

xviper 03-22-2004 06:13 AM

Originally posted by lig
Only dectectable inside the car if it sits for a minute or so...
Do a more concentrated investigation of the heater core area if this still does NOT happen when you have turned the heater knob to full COLD.

Gernby 03-22-2004 09:09 AM

Have you done any mods that may have effected the cooling system (Hondata gasket, thermostat, etc.)? If you haven't ever needed to add coolant to the reservoir in 2 years / 12K miles, then I seriously doubt you have a leak. Coolant will evaporate from the reservoir.

TepEvan 03-22-2004 12:34 PM

Do you have a CAI? Xviper and I discussed this in another thread as well. I replaced my coolant line (not necessary, but a lot of people do it) when I replaced my CAI. I get the occassional drips and coolant smell. I usually just re-tighted the clamp, but eventually (been saying this for over a year) I'll replace the hose.

lig 03-22-2004 05:38 PM

Gernby - you may be right. I have *never* added coolant and it has only dropped to the "low" mark on the tank - but I'm all too well aquainted with the smell of evaporating coolant. :) The weird thing is that the coolant smell is a very recent thing.

CAI? Yes - but I don't think it'll make a difference. It's the idi Spoon replical carbon fiber duct. No messing around with the hoses etc...

No cooling system mods.