S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Transmission Noise with video (Tried Everything)

Old 01-14-2019, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Noise with video (Tried Everything)

Hi guys,
I've been reading a lot of the threads on the forum but i've yet to find a definitive solution to a noise i'm having.

The noise can be heard here between the 2-4 sec mark. The video isn't mine.

It happens in 1st and 2nd when pulling away just like the video.

What I've done to try to fix the noise:
I've replaced the clutch and release bearing/pilot with genuine Honda.(no difference)
I rebuilt the transmission including input/output bearings and the main bearings on secondary + counter shaft.(no difference)
Rebuilt the tailshaft. (i was sure this would solve the issue but it made no difference).
Swapped cv buckets (there was no pitting).

**The last thing i've done is put a 2nd hand low milage prop-shaft on the car. This is the only part i've changed that has made a difference. The noise has all but gone in 1st gear but is still there to a lesser extent in 2nd.

My car is an ap2 2005 S2000 with 170'000Km in Ireland.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've carried out all the work myself (i'm not a mechanic) so i'm fairly invested at this stage!
Old 01-15-2019, 05:18 AM

Just to add to this, i've also replaced both engine mounts and the transmission mounts. Still the same. Very frustrating.

I also have a loud whirring/bearing noise at speeds > 70-80 mph.
Sounds like it's coming from the gear stick/shifter area.
It's not the ringing shifter issue, i've greased and tightened the area.

Any ideas? I'll try to get a video of the loud,high pitched noise later.

Last edited by Muiris2000; 01-15-2019 at 05:24 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:29 AM

Received 49 Likes on 49 Posts

From what I'm hearing in that video between 2 and 4 seconds, it sounds a bit like a rumble, correct? That sounds to me like something is potentially imbalanced or something... What I would do is get your car up on jackstands, and have someone drive it up through the gears and see if you can isolate the noise location. The higher pitched noise sounds a lot to me like my transmission secondary output shaft bearing I replaced last year (mine was at 40+ mph though), but sounds like you've already changed those out. You've already done a ton of work to try to get this figured out... I hope that you solve this problem soon and go back to enjoying your S2k before long! Good luck
The following users liked this post:
Muiris (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 07:35 AM

Oh here's an idea as well. When you're at 70-80 and hear the whining, try going to neutral and getting off of the clutch and seeing if that noise still happens. Could potentially isolate if the noise is from the trans and a specific gear or the rest of the driveline. Same could go for the 1st 2nd gear noise as well. Maybe stay at a stable speed while it's making your undesired noise, and go into neutral, or potentially even going to N and turning off the motor for a moment. When I was diagnosing my problem, gathering as much information on when noise occurred was very helpful for me. Trying to help solve S2000 problems is way more entertaining than getting any work done today ha.
Muiris (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 11:06 AM

Thanks for your response pal.
I'll do a few runs on Saturday to try to narrow down the high pitched noise as you said. I'll report back with my findings/video!

It's a lovely car, but it's hard to fully enjoy when you have a few niggle noises.

Also, you're correct about the 1st and 2nd noise. It's a rumble sound. I was convinced it was the one of the bearings in the tailshaft/output. I changed them all but the noise was unaffected.

Very peculiar.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:40 AM

Just for reference, the yellow items were the secondary output shaft bearings i replaced.
The red were some of the countershaft/mainshaft.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:49 AM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Not helpful but I have a similar rattle. If I remember correctly I can get it to make the sound in reverse by quickly releasing the clutch part way until it catches, then push it back in. It also makes it at low rpm/ low speed moving forward like in the video.
Not sure what it could be, I don't seem to have any other whining or grinding sounds at speed, just that rattle at low speed. Have also replaced clutch/throw out/pilot/flywheel (not specifically to try and eliminate the sound) with no change.
Muiris (01-16-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 07:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The video posted above is mine from when I was troubleshooting my transmission issue which was the secondary shaft bearings. I just wanted to mention that the video was taken with the rubber boots around the shifter removed and the microphone placed right at the shifter level...even on a properly functioning car this introduces a substantial increase in mechanical noises.

The main take away however that was resolved was the speed dependant whine caused by the damaged secondary shaft bearings (highlighted in yellow above). You can test for this particular bearing problem by putting the car in neutral while moving and the pitch of the whine will change as vehicle speed increases/decreases.

Here is a picture of my secondary shaft bearing for reference - not exactly smooth spinning.

Attachment 151025
Muiris (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 09:28 AM

Same situation I went through, Downgear.

My thread is right here!

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...lease-1181421/
Muiris (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 10:10 AM

Very interesting guys. I read your thread initially LagunaPearlAP2 when i started having the issue.

However, any of the bearings i changed had this type of wear:

There was no real damage like yours or Downchanges.

That probably explains why the noise(s) haven't gone away.

I'll spend time during the weekend to run the tests. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Transmission Noise with video (Tried Everything)