S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   Transmission. Rebuild or Buy Used? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/transmission-rebuild-buy-used-1191612/)

kevkim1234 02-04-2019 11:09 PM

Transmission. Rebuild or Buy Used?

Hi I'm a proud AP2 (04) owner.
My car has almost 80k miles now and I've owned it since late September. I am 80% sure the 1-2 synchro is starting to go out on it. Tried most things recommended by the forum
  • Master and Slave replaced (with bleeding)
  • Clutch Pedal Freeplay adjusted
  • Transmission fluid changes (went through Amsoil - best, GM, Honda - worst, would let me "half" into gear, MT90)
  • Shifter rebuild (regrease and replacement of plastic components)
I am quite frustrated cuz I have to shift very slowly to second gear for me to avoid a crunchy/grindy shift. It's especially prominent when cold.
It ruins the driving experience and is worth the rebuild/replacement now in my opinion.
I live in Seattle WA
I want to hear opinions on whether to rebuild or replace with used transmissions. If anyone has an used tranny locally, or knows of a good shop around Seattle, please chime in.
I know of the inherent risks of used transmissions but I've also heard that rebuilds can be risky too in that they may never get it right (not as good as Honda)

xxyion 02-05-2019 09:52 AM

I've kind of always had this thought as well. I've owned two S2k's and both I found had kinda "crunchy" shifts into second when it was cold. When the transmission is nice and warmed up the "crunch" tends to go away. I do unfortunetly have the issue where the shifter will pop out in 2nd gear under deceleration with high RPMs so I'm curious if a transmission rebuild would fix that for me. I own an 05. I've done basically everything you have minus the shifter rebuild. Sorry this isn't really a solution but I kinda wanted to share my experience and maybe learn something from this thread as well if people do respond.

Scigheras 02-05-2019 10:02 AM

If you only have this problem when the trans is cold but it goes away after it's warmed up, that is normal and your trans is fine.

xxyion 02-05-2019 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Scigheras (Post 24562665)
If you only have this problem when the trans is cold but it goes away after it's warmed up, that is normal and your trans is fine.

Just another one of those S2k quirks I take it? Theres a lot about this car that would seem like a problem in others but ends up being totally normal in this context lol.

cdelena 02-06-2019 06:51 AM

My AP1 transmission was junk from new and multiple repairs by Honda were not effective. When it finally failed I was skeptical of any rebuild (cost and results) so I talked with salvage yard to locate a replacement from a relatively low mileage wreck (was actually able to pick the donor from pictures).

I had no problem finding a good candidate, good price and guarantee and it was shipped to my location (quality salvage yards cooperate so you can actually be choosing from multiple locations).

Installation was no problem and the results have been great, it is a new car.

Car Analogy 02-06-2019 07:38 AM

My ap2 shiftimg was similar. And it only got worse and worse with time. But I eventually realized it was clutch drag, not the trans. As a temp fix, I adjusted the clutch pedal height higher, for more pedal throw, more clutch fork travel, more clutch disengagement. That worked, but didn't cure it completely.

Eventually my clutch disk failed. Dropped a spring. Turns out PO replaced stock clutch with crappy ebay version of the crappy exedy clutch. Also never greased splines.

Once I replaced clutch with oem, and I know no shortcuts taken during install 'cause I diyed it, it shifts beautifully now.

To see if its your trans or just clutch drag, you could adjust pedal for longer throw, see of issue improves...