S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   transmission upgrade (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/transmission-upgrade-353276/)

SC-S2000 01-18-2006 05:24 PM

transmission upgrade

i have an '02 s2k that is s/c and only has 38,000 on it and i was driving the car yesterday when i shifted from 1st to 2nd something poped and continuely chattered like metal on metal. I stoped the car and was looking at it while i was waiting on the tow truck and was thrown for a loop. I could have the clutch pedal pressed in and the motor would start fine no noises then as soon as i let it out the chatter started again i should describe it as like metal slapping metal. I tried it in every gear and it did this.

now that i got that out of the way, I was wondering if anybody had any ideas of any kind of trans upgrades for the car. or suggestions on what might be wrong i am currently in the process of pulling it apart to try to figure it out.

any help would be appreciated

James

vtec9 01-18-2006 05:29 PM

Definitely a problem with the tranny. You hear no noise when the clutch pedal is depressed because the tranny is not connected to the engine, and thus not spinning. It could be a number of things, and I'm no expert so I won't try to give any insights. If something is irrepealably damaged however, I think a logical step would be to get an AP2 tranny.

SC-S2000 01-18-2006 05:34 PM

are they a stronger tranny than the AP1's

cdelena 01-18-2006 06:01 PM

Sounds more like a diff failure to me.

SC-S2000 01-18-2006 06:03 PM

when i was listening to it i didnt hear any noise coming from the rear. and it makes the noise sitting still butt thanks for the suggestion.

IP_Andrey]RUS[ 01-18-2006 06:03 PM

Ok I

SC-S2000 01-18-2006 06:08 PM

sorry about that i just ment it made me confused when i said it thru me for a loop. and hopefully i dont find out it is the tranny.

IP_Andrey]RUS[ 01-18-2006 06:12 PM

[QUOTE=SC-S2000,Jan 18 2006, 07:08 PM]sorry about that i just ment it made me confused when i said it thru me for a loop.

xviper 01-18-2006 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by SC-S2000,Jan 18 2006, 08:24 PM
I could have the clutch pedal pressed in and the motor would start fine no noises then as soon as i let it out the chatter started again i should describe it as like metal slapping metal. I tried it in every gear and it did this.

You say nothing strange as long as the clutch was in. Then if you let the clutch out, it started the chatter. You also say that you tried it in every gear and it did this. If you take the first two sentences, that would mean that you could only do this in neutral. If you did this in every other gear, then to be able to let the clutch out, you had to be driving someplace. Otherwise, you would not be able to let the clutch all the way out without stalling the engine. Or do you actually mean that you were able to let the clutch out in all gears and not go anywhere and not stall the engine? :confused: If this is the case, then I would think you "could have" broken one of many things between the flywheel to the rear diff - clutch, tranny, propshaft, rear diff. There are ways to diagnose each.

Samer327 01-18-2006 10:25 PM

I had a similar problema while ago with my integra. Awful sound coming from the tranny being engaged, thought it was the gears, but I could engage every gear and then thought it might be the final drive, but there was no metal in the oil when I drained it. Turned out to be the splines on the clutchdisk had taken a crap. The heattreat on the part was done wrong and I had gone over a little bump and caught some air. On the impact the input shaft had started to shear the teeth off.

Hopefully it will be that. You should drain your tranny fluid and diff fluid to see if there are metal flakese, if not most likely it will be the clutch disk.