S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Transmission whining / humming

Old 06-08-2010, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Transmission whining / humming

Car is 03 ap1 with stock engine and stock tranny (clutch flywheel etc)
Just rolled over 108000

Car is lowered on tein S-tech springs with stock Shocks.

Transmission fluid changed every 5000 miles
Differential fluid changed every 5000 miles
Engine oil changed every 2500 miles

So about 8 months ago, the car started clicking in the rear followed by some vibrations under hard acceleration.

I read that without axle spacers, the inner buckets get pitted and cause this. So I replaced them with brand new axles and axle spacers.

It drove fine for about 2 days. The clicking is completely gone....But....

It still vibrated / shaked really bad. So I figured it was the differential gone bad.

Replaced that yesterday and drove to class last night. It felt much better after this on the way to class, but I could still feel this vibration a little bit. During the trip home I noticed that the shaking / vibration-feeling under acceleration was getting worse.

About half way home, which is about 9 miles, there was a humming / whining sound coming from under the car.

So today I got it back on jackstands and started the engine and "drove" it while on jackstands. The whining sound appears to be coming from the transmission. I can not really identify if it is more from the rear or front of it though as it is pretty loud.

As I accelerate, I can visually see that the tranny shakes somewhat. I assume that this shaking is the vibration I am feeling. But I do not know what the whining sounds is coming from.

This sound gets louder the faster I go. However, it does not make this sound while stopped in neutral just revving the engine.

I am at a loss right now and have no idea what's wrong. I read something about the bearings, but which ones? I do not know.

Anyone have any insight?
Old 06-08-2010, 01:41 PM

Holy smokes are you supposed to change the transmission/differential fluid every 5,000 miles?
Old 06-08-2010, 02:47 PM

tranny and diff fluid in 5000 miles....damn ur hardcore
Old 06-08-2010, 03:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the pitch doesnt change with the gear you are in its either the output shaft/reduction drive in the back of the gearbox or the diff.

When you are running it on stands, pull the handbrake one one click to remove any lash. Use a long screwdriver as a stethescope and hold one end on the gearbox or diff with the other end on your ear.

The bearings in the final motion of the gearbox are known to wear out. Likewise, whining from the diff is a sign that the pinion is moving out of alignment, or the teeth are about to part company.

Good luck
Old 06-08-2010, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by mikemille
Holy smokes are you supposed to change the transmission/differential fluid every 5,000 miles?
I don't know if this would harm anything. There is no way it would harm it more than not changing them ever...

Originally Posted by Jspecvtec
tranny and diff fluid in 5000 miles....damn ur hardcore
It became a religion for me.lol....

Originally Posted by chris barry
If the pitch doesnt change with the gear you are in its either the output shaft/reduction drive in the back of the gearbox or the diff.

When you are running it on stands, pull the handbrake one one click to remove any lash. Use a long screwdriver as a stethescope and hold one end on the gearbox or diff with the other end on your ear.

The bearings in the final motion of the gearbox are known to wear out. Likewise, whining from the diff is a sign that the pinion is moving out of alignment, or the teeth are about to part company.

Good luck
I put the old differential in and it makes the exact same sound. No difference at all. So I am assuming it is the "Output shaft/reduction drive" ??

So I put the new(er) diff back in since it makes the same sound either way.

The pitch is relatively the same in any gear. It just gets louder the faster I go.

I'll try the stethoscope thing tomorrow. Could I just use a real stethoscope? I have one.haha.

And I am gong to tear apart the old diff just to see what the insides look like. I am curious if it's all screwed up.

I will update soon.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:29 PM

and to clarify my first post....

The sound is definitely coming from the tranny.

I read my statement again and it looks like I said I could not tell if the sound was from the rear or front of the car...

I meant the front or rear of the tranny. ...

I was about to take apart the old diff but realized I do not have a 27mm socket for the input shaft/flange on the diff.

Is this the bearing you are talking about chris?

Old 06-09-2010, 03:22 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chris_barry,Jun 9 2010, 09:49 AM
This sounds like my problem.

I noticed some noise from the drivetrain and suspected my diff. Changed my diff and tranny oil and the sound persists.

Tonight I got the car on jack stands and played with the driveshafts. I was looking for play or roughness in the meshing of the gears. Nothing.

I then started the car and in idle change up to 3rd. I could hear an intermittent rattle from under the car. I got under the car and it appeared to be coming from the tranny. It rattles a few times every half second or so.

Assuming it's the output bearing, what is the procedure to replace this? Can it be done with the tranny in situ or do I have to remove it?
Old 06-09-2010, 11:55 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh, and another question. Is it ok to drive it with this rattling bearing or will it result it more damage to other parts?
Old 06-10-2010, 12:20 AM

I been told to add a few more OZ's of your favorite tranny fluid when changing it out. Just lift the car on the side of the fill hole and add some xtra then replace fill hole nut and let it back down. Of course if the rear bearing[s] is already shot this wont help. This whineing sound is caused from oil stavation to the rear most bearings. Mine does the same thing and last I heard it's about a $7-800 to repair. Honda recommends replacing all 3? of the rear bearings IIRC.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The bearings are the ones exposed when you separate the tailshaft housing from the gearbox body. The two shafts there are trying to push away from each other and the bearings surface starts to break up. They get a white oxide looking finish to them.

The bearing at the end of the output shaft isnt under as much load.

There have been a few threads on this a few years ago.

As for driving on it. The whine noise is a sign that the gears are no longer meshing properly. If its just a rumbling then its just the bearing rollers. Either way, best not to drive on it too long or hard.

Chris.

Quick Reply: Transmission whining / humming