S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

TSB 2004 2nd Gear Pops out

Old 12-21-2019, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phillipfrankreid
The detent springs and the bolts that retain them are accessed from the outside of the transmission housing. No disassembly required. My mechanic will be replacing the 2nd gear spring. If that doesn't work, it'll be a $1,600-$1,700 job to replace first and second gear. sets
good luck. Praying for your transmission. Which #s are Second gear? I was going to purchase all of them but I only need to try to fix second gear
Old 12-21-2019, 10:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm almost positive there is a diagram in this thread that has them numbered in red.
Old 12-22-2019, 07:31 AM

I'm almost positive there is a diagram in this thread that has them numbered in red.
yes, I have it.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by artemiomedina
@phillipfrankreid Try changing your clutch fluid, I just changed mine and Im looking into replacing the detent spring that Billman mentioned years ago
Did that, yes, plus diff fluid change. Changed 1st and 2nd detent springs. Still was getting some of the same behavior. So we just swapped the MTF again with another 2 qts of Amsoil. My tech said as long as it works, let's keep doing it. He and I both agree that everything else about the car drives and works beautifully.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:33 PM

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Did that, yes, plus diff fluid change. Changed 1st and 2nd detent springs. Still was getting some of the same behavior. So we just swapped the MTF again with another 2 qts of Amsoil. My tech said as long as it works, let's keep doing it. He and I both agree that everything else about the car drives and works beautifully.
Wouldn't the return spring also be a good thing to change out?

I also found a company that sells an "upgraded" kit for the selector springs and also do transmission upgrades as well.
https://www.manualgearboxllc.com/sho...or-spring-kit/
Old 01-20-2020, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by Live Fast
Wouldn't the return spring also be a good thing to change out?

I also found a company that sells an "upgraded" kit for the selector springs and also do transmission upgrades as well.
https://www.manualgearboxllc.com/sho...or-spring-kit/
Good stuff to keep in mind if it gets worse, thanks.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:53 AM

Great find. 2 weeks ago I had a family emergency and I was driving extremely aggressive. Went from 5th to 2nd when I wanted 4th. I believe since all parts were lubricated and already had been driving fast for 30 mins, nothing bad happened. No weird behavior afterwards.

To this day I'm still surprised I didn't destroy my trans and engine. I was going mid 80s when I did the misshift. After upgrading my brakes this will be my next upgrade.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Zuzu91
Great find. 2 weeks ago I had a family emergency and I was driving extremely aggressive. Went from 5th to 2nd when I wanted 4th. I believe since all parts were lubricated and already had been driving fast for 30 mins, nothing bad happened. No weird behavior afterwards.

To this day I'm still surprised I didn't destroy my trans and engine. I was going mid 80s when I did the misshift. After upgrading my brakes this will be my next upgrade.
Yeah that's a great stroke of luck--mis-shifts are scary. When I had to have the valve seats replaced, he upgraded the springs slightly (he said the AP2 springs are already upgraded from AP1 so you don't want to go too aggressive there or you can create problems), solely for extra protection against damage from a mis-shift. Fortunately I haven't had one, but I"m definitely on the cautious, laid-back side for an S2000 driver too.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:57 AM

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Just re-re-visiting this. I noticed mine would only do it after being warned up. I was going to be doing the shift detent springs when doing the trans fluid this weekend but don't have any torque specs.

Interestingly enough LHT mentioned it in their video recently around the 13:50 mark. Around 14:55 their manual mentions using Hondabond on the bolts (???) Which does not seem right. Torque specs seem to be 16 ft-lbs from the manual.

looking at parts it seems AP1 and AP2 either both use the same parts or only AP2 is available. I was using Majestic to look them up.
Old 03-23-2021, 05:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Going to bump this for any updates or reviews from people who have replaced the detent springs, OEM or stiffer.

Quick Reply: TSB 2004 2nd Gear Pops out