S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   Tyre Change - All Wobbley! (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/tyre-change-all-wobbley-1175737/)

davers 07-26-2017 11:19 AM

Tyre Change - All Wobbley!

Hi,

So i noticed my rears were a little on a slicks side the other day so monday i ordered some new tyres from a place here in estepona (im currently in spain) and yesterday they arrived and had them fitted.

While i was ordering them they guy said that the RE050 was harder to get now and was 2005 tech, but the 2017 S001 was the same price and a good step forward than the old ones. Made sense, so thats what we ordered and fitted.

Anywhoo drove the car home and almost immediately the car felt unstable, super wobbley, i got home and checked the profile as it felt like it was on citroen ax wheels or something, minimal imput makes a right horrible feeling. All fine, so on the way to work this morning i checked the PSI and they had put 38psi in them so dropped it to 32 all round. Has helped little but on the motorway, and only motorway speed i had some right bum twitches on the way home from work.
  • Are they just bedding in?
  • The tracking is perfect
  • Car is on OEM shocks so havent lowered i
  • Never had this on my last set of new RE050's
  • Is it because ive got relatively fresh RE050's on the front and brand new S001s on the back?
Never had anything like this on a tyre change before, car gives me no confidence at what is normal S2000 speeds.

NNY S2k 07-26-2017 03:53 PM

Probably your last guess.
Levi

Emil St-Hilaire 07-26-2017 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by NNY S2k (Post 24292105)
Probably your last guess.
Levi

:iagree: with Levi.:thumbup:

Hfreak 07-26-2017 05:41 PM

What size tyre are you running? Tire rack only lists a 205/45/17 and the next upsize is an 18", they are also a directional tyre. Have a close look at what you have.

Chuck S 07-26-2017 06:19 PM

The 245/40R17s are listed on Tire Rack as Aston Martin tires.

Our cars prefer matched tires in our experience. Even tire pressure affects handling.

-- Chuck

davers 07-26-2017 08:56 PM

Hi

well I have the standard set up of 215/45/17 front and 245/40/17 rear.

So will this go away as they bed in, that initial turn in is horrible, is like over compensating a direction change, or on the motorway just the weight of your hand in either direction on the wheel over bumps and undulations in the road can make it feel like it would break free if you wasn't paying attention. Just feels soft like I have marshmallows for tires.

If this is just how how it will be I'll have to go back to the place because i can't drive the car like this, it's not pleasurable one little bit.

Slowcrash_101 07-27-2017 03:14 AM

Takes about a gas tank worth of driving to break in new tires. They have an oil layer when new to protect them during storage and shipping, once you drive them for a little while the grip will come back.

davers 07-27-2017 03:26 AM

And the wobble?

I hope so anyway, i just never had this when i last had a new set of RE050s.

Would a burnout help? :LOL:

Slowcrash_101 07-27-2017 04:58 AM

Guaranteed, if by wobble you mean vibration, maybe the tire wasn't balanced properly. If by wobble you mean the rear end feels loose then yeah, just gotta break it in. Most tire manufacturers recommend keeping speeds under 70mph for the first couple hundred miles. For the record, I just installed new tires and the rear end feels much more lively than my old worn to almost slicks tires. It's gotten better after 100 or so miles on them, by the time you have to fill up again they should be back to normal.

Car Analogy 07-27-2017 12:24 PM

Make double certain tire pressures are same in back left vs right.

What you are describing sounds to me like way more than tire mold release. Its either tire pressure differences, front vs rear tire differences, or bad tires from the factory.

As in, left tire is not identical in diameter as right tire. That has messed up handling on our cars before with new tires, when they came from different batches or from different factories. Tire Rack has replaced rear tires they have sent to S owners when they were made aware this happened.

Here in the USA, all tires must have stamps to show when and where made. Hopefully Espana tiene lo mismo.

Carefully check both tires, making sure they have same stamps. If necessary, carefully measure tire diameters left vs right. Use a piece of string and carefully mark size, then compare to other side. Make sure to use something that doesn't have any elastic springiness to it.