S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

URGENT HELP REQUESTED!! Soft Top Trim

Old 05-14-2019, 04:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are the pictures.

It looks one of the POs who changed the top before me installed the rain rail a little bit wonky, which creased the seal as you can see in the third photo. Also, the foam is extruding out of the rail on one end as it was stuck to the chassis in one spot when i removed it.

My question is, does this seem worth repairing, or would I be better off purchasing a new one? Looks like they are available for around $290. I think that seems reasonable in order to make the thing water proof, but what do you guys think? Is this trim salvageable?

Also, I want to take the car out for an autoX event this weekend (no rain is predicted). My intention is to replace the soft top frame, and install the roof without the trim and the interior plastics. When my new trim arrives, can I just remove the rain rail bolts and slide the new trim in place, or would I need to remove the top frame again?

Thanks.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:15 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The rubber trim piece in my photo below was located behind the rain rail near the b pillar came off when I pulled the rain rail. I cleaned it all up with alcohol and reattached it with 3m heavy duty double sided trim tape. Is this the same form of the piece that came off the trim piece that's causing you problems? If so, I don't see why the same method wouldn't work. Mine was attached by what looked like a double sided adhesive tape but very thin and I replaced it with this:

3M (38583 1/4" x 15' Exterior Attachment Tape
Amazon Amazon

Not sure about the rest, the pics get blurry when enlarged.

Personally I wouldn't do what you're planning. That will area is a bitch to work in once the top is on unless you have the roll hoops out and an electric or pneumatic ratchet, and even then I'm not sure if you can access 100% of the nuts holding on the trim. Better to leave the whole top off for autoX if no rain is expected.

Old 05-15-2019, 03:04 AM

Yes, that is the same mold of rubber. The foam is also extruding out of the trim in one location. Is that necessary for water proofing? If not, I wont worry about it too much.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:34 AM

Hey guys,

Just wanted to follow up about this. I was able to get the rubber glued back in place and the new soft top installed. Now I just have to get all that plastic trim back in place.... maybe ill just leave it out .

Thank you all for the quick responses and helpful feedback; you saved me 300 bucks!!
Old 05-17-2019, 02:23 PM

Glad to hear! What did you use to attach the rubber?
Old 05-17-2019, 05:01 PM

I just used permatex silicone. let it cure for a night and it definitely wasn't going anywhere. Top is in and seems to be holding up well. It is an OE top, and it definitely fits better than the old one which was some sort of aftermarket replacement.

I think there are two plastic rivets that are suppose to hold the rain rail to the body on the front most part of the rain rail. Do these need to be installed? I dont believe they were when I removed the old top. It seems like they don't do a whole lot because the rail seems to hold its shape without them. Any thoughts?
Old 05-17-2019, 06:26 PM

I was thinking about that with my own install. Personally I like to button everything up so it doesn't make noise or deteriorate over time. It's one center locking push clip and one screw clip per side. The Honda dealers charge rapey prices for clips, maybe try finding them on amazon.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:58 PM

Gotcha. I may also just try taking a clip that fits from my interior plastics. some are in bad shape to begin with so there's no point in polishing that turd.
Old 08-08-2021, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what's part number #25 ?
Old 12-11-2023, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default part 16

I have a new roof, the band (part 16) looks ok, but not new. is it possible to replace 74866-S2A-033 once I have a new roof on the car?

Quick Reply: URGENT HELP REQUESTED!! Soft Top Trim