S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Valve gasket and valve adjustment

Old 10-01-2018, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve gasket and valve adjustment

Hello All,

I have MY02 S2k with ~100k miles. I have never changed the gasket and it needs to be replaced as there is a leak. I have all the parts and I was quoted $215 for labor.

I watched some videos on how to change the gasket and it doesn't seem that difficult. I also wanted to respray my value cover as it's chipping.

My question is do I need to get my values adjusted or can I just change the gasket myself?

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2018, 09:13 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

No reason you HAVE to adjust the valves when removing the valve cover, it's nice to do since you're already in there though, especially at 100k miles. I adjusted mine at ~122k and they were out of tolerance. To give you some piece of mind you should probably check them though since there's nothing really else to disassemble. If you're not comfortable with shims or doing the valve adjustment maybe you should have someone do it if you don't have record of the last time.

After doing this myself recently make sure to be VERY careful when installing the valve cover back on with the new spark plug tube seals. I ruined the first set because I pushed them into the valve cover all of the way and they didn't sit around the tubes correctly. Don't seat them in all the way into the valve cover, maybe take a photo of how far they were installed before replacing the old ones.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:12 AM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

$215 labor just to change the VC gasket, or adjust the valves as well?
Old 10-02-2018, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
$215 labor just to change the VC gasket, or adjust the valves as well?
Yes, for both. I've owned the car for ~13 years and have changed the spark plugs and coil packs to AP2. Other than that no other work as been done.
From watching the YouTube videos I'm able to change the VC gasket. Should I get the valves adjusted too? What other maintenance would you recommend?

Thanks
Old 10-02-2018, 09:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should do the VA at this mileage. Together with the VC gasket, change the spark plug tube seal too, they can be difficult to remove
Old 10-02-2018, 03:32 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

^^^ This is what I would also suggest. Not difficult but certainly tedious.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:40 PM

When replacing the valve cover gasket, do you pre oil it like you do for oil filter? How about using gasket maker like hondabond?

edit: seems like the s2k valve cover is flat and doesn't have the cam humps, so sealant isn't required? but i've heard you should dab a bit to where the timing chain cover meets

@Billman250
Old 12-04-2018, 01:08 PM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

Just buy the proper gasket. Clean the groove where the gasket goes and put it in. The only reason you put oil on the oil filter gasket is so you can turn it tight and let the seal slide around the place it meets the block. Valve cover gasket just plops in there.

There's more than just the main gasket. Each spark plug hole gets one as well as those on the mounting bolts.

Valve adjustment requires a cold engine (under 100°F) and that takes hours to achieve after driving the car. Simple, rewarding, tedious task. Tools are no more than $25.

-- Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S; 12-04-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely adjust the valves. My 02 with 93k needed it when I bought the car.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:18 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KComingSoon
When replacing the valve cover gasket, do you pre oil it like you do for oil filter? How about using gasket maker like hondabond?

edit: seems like the s2k valve cover is flat and doesn't have the cam humps, so sealant isn't required? but i've heard you should dab a bit to where the timing chain cover meets

@Billman250
Remove the gasket. clean the groove. Put the new gasket in the groove. NO SEALANT REQUIRED. I run my finger in a drop of oil and run it over the gasket before reinstallation. This is important- carefully working the spark plug seals over the tubes without tearing them and torque the valve cover in the proper sequence, sequentially increasing to proper torque. I run a little oil on the tube top to make installation easier- I also rest the valve cover on the tube seals then slowly and manually work the seals over the tubes until I can feel the tube thru the seal.

DO a retainer check/valve adjustment while you're in there. I've done over a dozen VA- the first took me like all day (6 hours start to finish). Now, takes about 90 minutes maybe.

darcy

Last edited by darcyw; 12-04-2018 at 06:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Valve gasket and valve adjustment