S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Very Annoying squeak from dashboard? Maybe inside the bonnet?

Old 06-11-2019, 10:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Very Annoying squeak from dashboard? Maybe inside the bonnet?

I have an issue that has been pissing me off since day one and I've done literally everything I can to fix it so far and nothing works, please help.
In the video you can hear a giggly squeak that happens over any small rumble on the road and it's very frustrating and annoying, it sounds like the dash is squeaking??
It's not the suspension and any of the bushings, have sprayed them with silicone spray and swapped out the suspension to ones with lower ks and still the sound is there, what else can it be?
Pleasee help

(sound is present with top down and up)

Here is a video of the sound
https://photos.app.goo.gl/fAPxTaqt2Ynf3YUr9
The following users liked this post:
paS2K (12-05-2023)
Old 06-12-2019, 02:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried cleaning and re-greasing the hood latch? I had a similar squeak and ended up cleaning and greasing all the places that the manual suggests; that was the one that solved it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cubble:
exotiik (06-12-2019), theprophet36 (05-22-2020)
Old 06-12-2019, 02:36 AM

How exactly do I clean and re grease the hood latch, and what other spots does the manual say?
Old 06-13-2019, 05:38 AM

Received 1,305 Likes on 987 Posts

Are in UK? Hood in USA means bonnet. So the hood latch being mentioned is in front of the engine, not above your head.

Clean it with a solvent, then apply grease. Open and close bonnet several times to work it in.

In USA, the cloth thing above your head is the top (unless its metal, then its a roof).
exotiik (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 05:29 PM

Thank You so much, ill give it a shot today, am praying it works
Old 06-15-2019, 09:55 AM

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

@exotiik Are you sure it's coming from the dash and not the soft metal frame contact points just rubbing on each other? If you gently press down on the dash will the noise go away?

It think it's your soft top frame, below are some common noise / rattles and their fixes (to include pics). #2,3,4 below were all problems I had and are now fixed:

1. Rear view mirror is loose, the noise bounces off the dash. Solution: When driving put your hand on the mirror in different places to see if noise goes away.

2. Loose screws on side of dash. Solution: Open both door and note the circle, pop out that grommet and inside is an Allen head, it might need tightening.

3. The three clips holding a wire harness in place are wearing down causing the noise. Solution: Remove the passenger air bag, and remove the three Honda clips, then use a zip tie to secure the harness to the metal bar next to it. I know of this intimately because I've had to remove the air bag three times to find all three clips. What happens is the plastic clip has a hole in it with a piece of loose metal inside that surrounds it, that then mounts onto a metal stud inside the dash. Over many years of driving that plastic hole will wear away by like 2 microns, enough to cause an insanely annoying rattle caused by the now loose metal piece in the hole. Taping it won't work, I've tried.

4. Soft top rattle/squeaks. Solution: Use a small felt pad and place on the 4 contact points. That tiny piece of felt removes all metal on metal contact, is thin enough to not cause any issues with the mechanics, and it makes the top very nice and snug. Costs $1 and 3 minutes of time.

Solution Pics:

Use 1 small circular felt pad at each the 4 contact points. Place the pad inside this hole:

Also place a pad on top of the screw in the middle of the frame.

Here is a pic with the airbag removed, inside the dash facing the steering wheel, you can see the plastic clip, use pliers and then pop it off, and cut the bad off the harness. Zip tie it in place.

exotiik (06-18-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 11:35 AM

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Here's a closeup of the wire harness band clip. Note the metal piece inside, the rubbing of that on the metal stud in the dash causes the rattle/noise. I've tried putting tape inside but eventually the metal on metal wears through and it comes back in a few weeks.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:15 AM

I love you so much omg, thank you for this write up, im going to give everything a thorough walkthrough and try to pin point this and ill update once im able to locate the noise
Old 06-26-2019, 01:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I found this thread and had almost the exact same squeak. Turned out to be the hood latch as mentioned above!

I took it out of the car, took it apart, doused it with brake cleaner and re-greased it and the noise is gone!

Quick Tip: Make sure you re-connect the hood opener cable before you install and close the hood.....
I (very luckily) managed to get it back open by slipping my hand through the grille and being able to fish around for the latch with a flathead...
Old 05-07-2020, 07:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is how I went about diagnosing the squeak:

But even after re-greasing and making sure it was adjusted properly it still came back, so here is my next solution:

Hopefully this helps someone.
paS2K (12-05-2023)

Quick Reply: Very Annoying squeak from dashboard? Maybe inside the bonnet?