S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

VSA after Steering wheel Install

Old 10-30-2018, 01:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default VSA after Steering wheel Install

Hey guys. I recently install my works bell hub and steering wheel. Afterwards my airbag light was on, so I did the 2.2 ohm resistor trick and poof my light was gone. I was happy and went for a drive then about after 5 min of driving my VSA and the triangle light next to it are illuminated! Here I was happy to clear my airbag light and two more popped up. How can I fix this? Any advice?

thanks!
Old 10-30-2018, 06:00 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Maybe the place where you bought the steering wheel or the wheel's manufacturer would know the answer? Prolly worth a call.

Good luck!
Old 10-31-2018, 06:42 AM

Received 1,249 Likes on 760 Posts

Does that he cruise control work? Horn?
Old 10-31-2018, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
Horn works fine, I am using a personal wheel so no cruse control but I can reattach it today to verify if it does
Old 10-31-2018, 02:01 PM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I’m still dealing with this stupid VSA light and it’s kicking my ass. Did a clutch job, car was fine, 350 miles into the break in and the light comes on. I know I didn’t break the sensor because the wheel never moved at all and it was good for 350 miles. What year is your car?
Old 10-31-2018, 04:31 PM

My car is a 2008, I made an apt to have it checked at the dealer as after consulting with a cpurple local shops no one can figure it out
Old 11-01-2018, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250
I reinstalled the factory wheel and horn and Cruse both work. Lights are still on
Old 11-01-2018, 07:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So here's my experience with this. Kinda backwards but applies. I bought a car with a steering wheel installed. Bought a full OEM steering wheel from another car to replace aftermarket set up. Initially /!\ and SRS (airbag) light were illuminated. Installation went smoothly and upon installing, VSA light went on as well, total of 3 lights on at this point. Proceeded to dealer to have them reset the steering angle sensor. Knew this ahead of time. Paid $130 diagnosis fee at dealer to have them reset the steering angle sensor (little green ring on the clockspring) as it was reportedly off by 180 degrees. Steering angle sensor was recalibrated, thus curing the VSA light. Honda Scan Tool also detected an “open” in the SRS system, namely the cable reel, causing the SRS light to remain on. Means the clockspring went bad or was damaged by the previous owner. New clockspring was recommended by dealer quote totaled $560, including diagnosis (308 parts, 140 labor). Purchased one new on Majestic for 200 bucks and installed in myself and cured the problem. All lights went off.

So my thoughts are you probably moved the steering angle position sensor without meaning to or maybe you didn't know you weren't supposed to. Or shoot, maybe you just need to reset it via the dealer anytime the steering wheel comes off. Idk. The tech told me that if the steering angle is off by even a few degrees it will throw the light.

So basically you need to go to the dealer to have them reset it unless you have a honda diag tool that will tell you the position of the steering angle sensor so you can reset it back to zero degrees and reinstall.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jae2K
So here's my experience with this. Kinda backwards but applies. I bought a car with a steering wheel installed. Bought a full OEM steering wheel from another car to replace aftermarket set up. Initially /!\ and SRS (airbag) light were illuminated. Installation went smoothly and upon installing, VSA light went on as well, total of 3 lights on at this point. Proceeded to dealer to have them reset the steering angle sensor. Knew this ahead of time. Paid $130 diagnosis fee at dealer to have them reset the steering angle sensor (little green ring on the clockspring) as it was reportedly off by 180 degrees. Steering angle sensor was recalibrated, thus curing the VSA light. Honda Scan Tool also detected an “open” in the SRS system, namely the cable reel, causing the SRS light to remain on. Means the clockspring went bad or was damaged by the previous owner. New clockspring was recommended by dealer quote totaled $560, including diagnosis (308 parts, 140 labor). Purchased one new on Majestic for 200 bucks and installed in myself and cured the problem. All lights went off.

So my thoughts are you probably moved the steering angle position sensor without meaning to or maybe you didn't know you weren't supposed to. Or shoot, maybe you just need to reset it via the dealer anytime the steering wheel comes off. Idk. The tech told me that if the steering angle is off by even a few degrees it will throw the light.

So basically you need to go to the dealer to have them reset it unless you have a honda diag tool that will tell you the position of the steering angle sensor so you can reset it back to zero degrees and reinstall.
Thank you so much! I will let them know of this tomorrow at the dealer. Quick question, can you physically see the steering angle sensor and is it the small ring around the spline shaft that has two teeth on it? I moved that little ring to line up with the steering works bell hub so potentially that was it?

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2018, 12:05 PM

Update: Well it is the position sensor however it wasn’t able to be reset and needs to be replaced - $600 out the door at Honda - ouch

Quick Reply: VSA after Steering wheel Install