S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Weird braking problem. Pedal jolts as braking.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs up Weird braking problem. Pedal jolts as braking.

Ok well when I brake some what hard(not even close to hard enough to skid or anything) the brake pedal kinda pulsates, but not in a way ABS should. It feels like it slips and grinds kinda as braking hard. When wet at all or like in the snow from last winter, very light pedal pressure and it would give that grinding slipping feel. I am kinda scared if I ever really have to stop fast what it will do. It seems to still stop even when grinding and jerking, but just does not feel right. I have never felt that in any other car before that I have been in. I was at Billman250's getting a once over and and he said the pads looked fine as did the rotors. Maybe the brake fluid has air in it? Could that cause that kind of pedal feel? Any ideas on what could cause that?
Old 05-04-2008, 07:28 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I'd bet its the rotors - maybe slighlty warped, or damaged by something, and that's why you're getting that drumming. Best thing to do imo is take each one off and inspect it off the car.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, when ur rotors are warped u can feel it in the steering wheel not so much the pedal, now when u have air in the line the pedal feels weak and will take more leg to stop the car. u need to look at all four rotors and pads to see if u can see anything grinding. can u hear a grinding? when is the last time u did a brake flush? are there aftermarket pads and rotors on?
Old 05-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Former Sponsor

I cannot actually hear a grinding sound. That is just the best way to describe how the pedal feels. It feels like it is kinda pulsating and slipping when pushing down on it hard. Still has plenty of pressure, but feels like it loses pressure or slips in a pulsating way. Like I said when it was snowy out and I would try to brake it would happen even when lightly pressing the brake pedal.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:34 PM

well if u dont see anything wrong with ur rotors and pads i would'nt hurt to do a brake flush on it. do u have to push any harder on the pedal to stop the car?
Old 05-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Hard to say because when I bought the car it had the same feel. I didn't notice it right away because I never needed to push the brakes hard at all, but once I did, it had this feeling so nothing really to compare to how it felt before. But if I were to guess I would say I do not have to push it any harder than normal as it does not feel hard at all.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:41 PM

I feel something similar... but its not through the pedal i feel it more when i come to a stop i get a slight pulsing feeling at the front..
Old 05-05-2008, 04:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would check your pads and rotors first. If they check out.... then do a brake fluid flush and check your master cylinder.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Alright I know how to check pads but how can I check the rotors to see if they are warped. Would doubt by eye could tell a slight warp. How is that done? I am thinking it is probably the brake fluid. I will have to do a brake fluid flush as soon as I get someone to sit around and pump the pedal.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkbite,May 5 2008, 12:03 AM
ok, when ur rotors are warped u can feel it in the steering wheel not so much the pedal
You can only feel it in the wheel when it is the front rotors. Whenever I have had warped rotors I have been able to feel it in the pedal.

Quick Reply: Weird braking problem. Pedal jolts as braking.