S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Weird noise from Berk HFC

Old 06-20-2019, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird noise from Berk HFC

Hi guys - I recently installed a Berk HFC 63.5mm on my oem exhaust. I’m betting a bit of weird metallic sounding noise - it sounds identical to the metallic sounding rattle in this video at 1:10-1:20 when he steps on the throttle -

Is this normal or is there an issue somewhere?
Old 06-20-2019, 10:31 PM

is your hfc new? usually when you hear some rattling noise it means the packing inside on the muffler, resonator are gone which means either you repack it or get a new one...
Old 06-21-2019, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by gerikivan
is your hfc new? usually when you hear some rattling noise it means the packing inside on the muffler, resonator are gone which means either you repack it or get a new one...
Yes brand new. The guy in that video actually has a test pipe and it’s making the same noise. I’m wondering if this is a normal sound when these pipes are paired with a stock exhaust... did not make this noise when I had the stock cat on.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:25 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Paired new berk hfc with stock exhaust, no odd sounds. Sounded almost exactly like stock, with the very slightest increase in exhaust note which can only be heard from behind car. In cabin no change observable. This from someone highly sensitive to unpleasant sounds.

My bet is there is a loose heat shield somewhere, probably disturbed during hfc install. That or exhaust is hung improperly and its now touching chassis somewhere.

Recommend get under car, carefully observe if exhaust touching anything. Wiggle it around, see if it bangs anything.

Next tap all heat shields, see if they rattle. Thereare shields on header, and on chassis above exhaust in several places, especially above cat.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:50 AM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

if you just installed it and its a little raspy.. give it a couple heat cycles to get some carbon in there and ignite from a long drive.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Paired new berk hfc with stock exhaust, no odd sounds. Sounded almost exactly like stock, with the very slightest increase in exhaust note which can only be heard from behind car. In cabin no change observable. This from someone highly sensitive to unpleasant sounds.

My bet is there is a loose heat shield somewhere, probably disturbed during hfc install. That or exhaust is hung improperly and its now touching chassis somewhere.

Recommend get under car, carefully observe if exhaust touching anything. Wiggle it around, see if it bangs anything.

Next tap all heat shields, see if they rattle. Thereare shields on header, and on chassis above exhaust in several places, especially above cat.

So you don't have the metallic sound like in the video I posted at around 1:10 - 1:15 when he steps on the throttle? Mostly happens around 3k rpm when giving some gas.

Originally Posted by Deckoz
if you just installed it and its a little raspy.. give it a couple heat cycles to get some carbon in there and ignite from a long drive.
It's not really a rapsy sound, more a metallic / rattling sound. Exactly like in the video I posted at 1:10 - 1:15.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:31 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

OP, I initially had an increase in a raspy sound (It did have a slight metallic ring to it) when I installed my berk HFC and it went away after a few heat cycles. If its still around after a couple hundred miles you may have an exhaust leak at the gasket. New gaskets should be used.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:11 AM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by osu1978
OP, I initially had an increase in a raspy sound (It did have a slight metallic ring to it) when I installed my berk HFC and it went away after a few heat cycles. If its still around after a couple hundred miles you may have an exhaust leak at the gasket. New gaskets should be used.

pretty much any new exhaust sounds bad brand new, unless its been heat coated. Coating or a little bit of carbon helps the walls not ring.

my hfc sounded like this the first few heat cycles too.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:30 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-mo...stall-1196035/

In case someone is searching this thread and cannot find mine linked above, I have the same problem in mine and it's coming from the stock resonator. I'm guessing something came loose when I changed exhausts or it was built to a different tolerance and the Berk HFC makes it ring.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:45 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

You mean tbe Helmholtz resonator? Its just a hollow tube (either round tube or oval, depending on year). Are you sure ringing is coming from resonator?

Quick Reply: Weird noise from Berk HFC