S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Where's my oil going?

Old 03-15-2006, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Where's my oil going?

Ok, have an issue here. Changed my oil about 1500 miles ago. NO LEAKS ANYWHERE. I've scoured the underside, top and area around the oil-filter on the engine and found no signs of any seepage. I wear glasses, but I'm damn sure the oil went into the oil filler hole on top of the engine! The dipstick read full when I filled it, and when I checked it the next day after driving vigorously and reading it warm-not hot.
I looked at my oil level about three-four weeks ago, and it was dangerously low. Added around 2 quarts. Checked it again tonight and found that I'm half-way between the indicator marks on my dip-stick. Seems to be a lot of black residue building up on my exhaust tips between washes, too. Furthermore, the oil is slightly darker than when I changed it.

I got the car in August of last year. 12,000 miles on it at that time. I've got about 19,000 on it now.

What could be the problem? Bad rings? Is this common?
Old 03-15-2006, 09:55 PM

All engines burn oil. its just a different amount for each engine. if you rev your s2k up to the 6-9k range they wil burn more oil. so ALWAYS check the oil. A fellow s2k owner I know, has installed "krank" vents on his. and has very little oil use. and this is after a track event. check it out.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the oil at least once a week. If you don't, you'll regret it.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:22 AM

Alot of my friends had a similar problem after oil changes, this may or may not apply to you. After changing your oil you should run the car for a few minutes then check the dipstick and fill up as needed. When you add oil during an oil change there is none in the filter, so running the car for a few minutes will circulate it and fill in all the gaps. You could be losing up to a half quart by not checking the level after the change. Also oil in a street car will get dark very fast, nothing to worry about. Oil burning does seem to be a common occurence with the S2000, and I have only had mine for two months, check weekly or everytime you put gas in it whichever comes first.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Haulin' S,Mar 16 2006, 12:39 AM
I looked at my oil level about three-four weeks ago, and it was dangerously low. Added around 2 quarts. Checked it again tonight and found that I'm half-way between the indicator marks on my dip-stick.
we need to know how many MILES you are driving, not number of weeks. that tells us nothing.

also, it's NORMAL for these cars to burn oil. of course you don't see any leaks. it's oil that is being burned up inside the engine. My car eats about 1 quart every 2000 miles.

if the oil is halfway down the dipstick, you're only about a quart low. however, you never told us what the oil level was at when you added the 2 quarts 3-4 weeks ago. did you fill it to the top? almost to the top? what?

we need more concise details.

even then, i think you're worrying about a "problem" that doesn't exist. sounds like a normal oil burning S2000 to me.

Seems to be a lot of black residue building up on my exhaust tips between washes, too.
has nothing to do with you burning oil. our cars run rich, particularly above 6000rpm. this is perfectly normal.

Furthermore, the oil is slightly darker than when I changed it.
then that means your oil is doing its job. oil is SUPPOSED to get dirty.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,Mar 16 2006, 07:29 AM
if the oil is halfway down the dipstick, you're only about a quart low.
I thought that when the oil level is at the bottom marker on the dipstick you were one quart low. Are you saying that one quart is at the halfway point between the markers?
Old 03-17-2006, 07:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if memory serves me right, yes. if it's all the way down the markers then you are low by 2 quarts.

i fill up my S2000 all the time as it burns a quart about every 2-3000 miles. if it's at the half way point, 1 quart will bring me back to full
Old 03-17-2006, 07:37 AM

The two markers are 1 quart apart.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:04 PM

I only had this problem in my ap1 when I started to use synthetic oil after the car hit the 10,000 mile mark. Once I switched back to the regular non-synthetic oil, I had no oil consumption issues whatsoever. Go figure.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:47 PM

Check your oil daily. Keep the oil level at the high end of the stick(all x's covered)
And drive it like you stole it

Quick Reply: Where's my oil going?