S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Why no oil pressure gauge?

Old 09-13-2003, 01:01 PM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Why no oil pressure gauge?

I know this has probably been hashed out here a 1000 times.....But why would Honda make an engine with a small displacement with that much power and no oil pressure gauge. I have read several post about making sure that the oil level is checked regularly. Im asking this question because (1) mabey there is something else that im missing and the car has fail safe system or just an idiot light or (2) You have to buy an aftermarket gauge....this would seem rather tacky to me. Reguardless of the situation im going to be an owner soon and would like some input on this.

Thanks Bill
Old 09-13-2003, 07:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bill..........I just purchased my spa yellow last month and that was the first thing I noticed too. The only solution I could think of was a pillar mounted (2) gauge mount with oil pressure and water temp...................what do you think?............................................ .....................Bob
Old 09-13-2003, 10:25 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The car does come with an oil pressure (low) idiot light in the intrument cluster. Although you need to keep checking the oil "level", oil "pressure" will not help you to do this. You will still show good oil pressure even if you are down 2-3 quarts. Frightening, isn't it?
As already said, I'm one of those who like to know what it is anyway and I got one of those pillar pod mounts with oil pressure and water temp. I like to see my water temp in numbers, not just "bars".
Old 09-14-2003, 05:02 AM

Guys excellent idea......Viper nicely done.......i wonder if instead of a pillar mount they could be fitted in the dash.
Not necessarily on the gauge cluster but over to the right might be a cleaner install......just my opinion

Bill
Old 09-14-2003, 08:15 AM

Originally posted by FILTHY BEAST
Not necessarily on the gauge cluster but over to the right might be a cleaner install......just my opinion

Bill
This has been done also. If the search wasn't so tough, I'd find it for you. It's posted on the board somewhere. The owner actually cut holes in the passenger side dash and installed the guages just to the right of the heating controls. He made the guages point towards the driver.
Well, it was a little more involved than just drilling holes. I recall he made some sort of molded housing.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:32 AM

Viper.....Many thanks....ill see if i can find it..........Bill
Old 09-14-2003, 09:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
[B]The car does come with an oil pressure (low) idiot light in the intrument cluster.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by Road Rage

Xviper - does your pod water temp gauge creep up linearly as the car sits at idle? I ask because nearly all cars today, and all Hondas I have ever seen, do not have linearly calibrated gauges/indicators. Even though the thermistor in the sendor is constantly lowering the ohmic values it is sending to the gaue or instrument cluster driver module, the gauge sits at one spot. This is done so the gauge does not move up and down and worry idiots. In fact, I have actually removed the sensor and driven the gauge with a variable resistor lashup I use for testing electronics, and the resistance needed for the gauge to move puts in well into the range I consider "hot". Plus, without a gauge that truly reads linearly, one cannot see things like water pump degradation, plugged passages, etc. until it is too late.
Yes, it does move in a linear fashion (as far as I am able to perceive). Of course, after a cold start the needle just sits at the bottom till the temp gets past the minimum reading on the gauge, which is 100. On hot days, I've seen the reading jump from the usual 180 at highway speeds to about 220+ once I hit the city. I can easily bring it back down to a more "comfortable" range by simply turning on the A/C.
Old 09-14-2003, 11:26 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
[B]
Yes, it does move in a linear fashion (as far as I am able to perceive).
Old 09-14-2003, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by FILTHY BEAST

Viper where did you find the gauges ??
They're just ordinary Autometer gauges. Available almost anywhere. I got mine at a local performance shop. You'll need extra fittings for both oil pressure and water temp. Here's what I mean:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...9038#post999038

Quick Reply: Why no oil pressure gauge?