S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Will I be ok with Duralast parts?

Old 02-03-2019, 09:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Will I be ok with Duralast parts?

I ordered a new Timing Chain Tensioner for my car it was $70 from Autozone I just didn't feel like spending $300 for one from Ballade Sports. It comes with a 1yr warranty but I am just checking if anyone else has had any experience with Duralast TCT's.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:19 AM

Received 277 Likes on 200 Posts

If you are lucky, a tensioner manufatured by NTN is in the box. If so, it is the same as OEM Honda.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:28 AM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

Either get billman's tensioner or fix your own, don't waste your money.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Either get billman's tensioner or fix your own, don't waste your money.
I already purchased it, surely it's better than my current broken OEM one.

I couldn't find where to purchase a Billman one online and I'm just going to assume it's as expensive or more than the Ballade one.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:54 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

You don't want the ballade one. It has to be manually adjusted, and readjusted as normal wear occurs, and if its adjusted wrong, it can cause permanent engine damage.

Lets assume the autozone part is an actual oem supplier part (that is, its made by the original honda supplier, but simply lacks any actual Honda labeling.) The ones from Honda have been demonstrated not to last. They go bad after 30k-50k miles. Maybe more, maybe less.

Is this Duralast part lifetime warrantied? If so, and if they honor the warranty (how do you prove its gone bad? A brake pad shows obvious wear. A tct does not. Will they go by appearance and say its still good?), this could be a very good deal, assuming you don't mind replacing the tct every so often.

So if its lifetime warranty, and if its not a constant hassle every time it goes bad, great.

Otherwise get the Billman tct. Lifetime warranty that so far no one has needed to use (not on his latest, final version). A permanent fix.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:55 AM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by czirrfb3
I already purchased it, surely it's better than my current broken OEM one.

I couldn't find where to purchase a Billman one online and I'm just going to assume it's as expensive or more than the Ballade one.
the AutoZone tensioner is a one time Install. The gaskets are cheaply made and prone to leak due to the tolerance of the machining the bore O-Ring will likely leak.

As well like I said, it is a one time Install, The Worm drive gear duralast uses has no internal threading. so once you pull the grenade pin. its done. You cannot open the service plate and use a screw to retract the worm and piston, as the worm has no threads like the OEM. (unless of course you use a press and reinstall the grenade pin...total PITA)

I suggest returning the duralast tct, and going with OEM, or @Billman250

Last edited by Deckoz; 02-04-2019 at 07:00 AM.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Deckoz
the AutoZone tensioner is a one time Install. The gaskets are cheaply made and prone to leak due to the tolerance of the machining the bore O-Ring will likely leak.

As well like I said, it is a one time Install, The Worm drive gear duralast uses has no internal threading. so once you pull the grenade pin. its done. You cannot open the service plate and use a screw to retract the worm and piston, as the worm has no threads like the OEM. (unless of course you use a press and reinstall the grenade pin...total PITA)

I suggest returning the duralast tct, and going with OEM, or @Billman250
well the vehicle has 160k miles and I womt be driving it every day. If the Duralast one fails down the road I could always get a new one I suppose. I kinda just need a fix asap because the stock one is making the chain rattle at high temps.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:27 AM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Since you already have the Duralast, I would give it a try, remember to keep your original OEM one as Billman will need it as core when you order from him.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:30 AM

The one on here looks old and seems to maybe be leaking oil probably bad seals
Old 02-04-2019, 08:31 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by czirrfb3
well the vehicle has 160k miles and I womt be driving it every day. If the Duralast one fails down the road I could always get a new one I suppose. I kinda just need a fix asap because the stock one is making the chain rattle at high temps.

If you don't need to drive it...then why be in a hurry to fix it with an iffy part that could cause issues down the line?

Unless you're saying that its your only car...but you only NEED it once every few days?

Quick Reply: Will I be ok with Duralast parts?