S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   Will I be ok with Duralast parts? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/will-i-ok-duralast-parts-1191584/)

czirrfb3 02-03-2019 09:03 PM

Will I be ok with Duralast parts?

I ordered a new Timing Chain Tensioner for my car it was $70 from Autozone I just didn't feel like spending $300 for one from Ballade Sports. It comes with a 1yr warranty but I am just checking if anyone else has had any experience with Duralast TCT's.

Mr.Matchbox 02-04-2019 12:19 AM

If you are lucky, a tensioner manufatured by NTN is in the box. If so, it is the same as OEM Honda.

Slowcrash_101 02-04-2019 02:28 AM

Either get billman's tensioner or fix your own, don't waste your money.

czirrfb3 02-04-2019 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101 (Post 24561945)
Either get billman's tensioner or fix your own, don't waste your money.

I already purchased it, surely it's better than my current broken OEM one.

I couldn't find where to purchase a Billman one online and I'm just going to assume it's as expensive or more than the Ballade one.

Car Analogy 02-04-2019 06:54 AM

You don't want the ballade one. It has to be manually adjusted, and readjusted as normal wear occurs, and if its adjusted wrong, it can cause permanent engine damage.

Lets assume the autozone part is an actual oem supplier part (that is, its made by the original honda supplier, but simply lacks any actual Honda labeling.) The ones from Honda have been demonstrated not to last. They go bad after 30k-50k miles. Maybe more, maybe less.

Is this Duralast part lifetime warrantied? If so, and if they honor the warranty (how do you prove its gone bad? A brake pad shows obvious wear. A tct does not. Will they go by appearance and say its still good?), this could be a very good deal, assuming you don't mind replacing the tct every so often.

So if its lifetime warranty, and if its not a constant hassle every time it goes bad, great.

Otherwise get the Billman tct. Lifetime warranty that so far no one has needed to use (not on his latest, final version). A permanent fix.

Deckoz 02-04-2019 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by czirrfb3 (Post 24562003)
I already purchased it, surely it's better than my current broken OEM one.

I couldn't find where to purchase a Billman one online and I'm just going to assume it's as expensive or more than the Ballade one.

the AutoZone tensioner is a one time Install. The gaskets are cheaply made and prone to leak due to the tolerance of the machining the bore O-Ring will likely leak.

As well like I said, it is a one time Install, The Worm drive gear duralast uses has no internal threading. so once you pull the grenade pin. its done. You cannot open the service plate and use a screw to retract the worm and piston, as the worm has no threads like the OEM. (unless of course you use a press and reinstall the grenade pin...total PITA)

I suggest returning the duralast tct, and going with OEM, or @Billman250

czirrfb3 02-04-2019 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Deckoz (Post 24562025)
the AutoZone tensioner is a one time Install. The gaskets are cheaply made and prone to leak due to the tolerance of the machining the bore O-Ring will likely leak.

As well like I said, it is a one time Install, The Worm drive gear duralast uses has no internal threading. so once you pull the grenade pin. its done. You cannot open the service plate and use a screw to retract the worm and piston, as the worm has no threads like the OEM. (unless of course you use a press and reinstall the grenade pin...total PITA)

I suggest returning the duralast tct, and going with OEM, or @Billman250

well the vehicle has 160k miles and I womt be driving it every day. If the Duralast one fails down the road I could always get a new one I suppose. I kinda just need a fix asap because the stock one is making the chain rattle at high temps.

vicrc 02-04-2019 08:27 AM

Since you already have the Duralast, I would give it a try, remember to keep your original OEM one as Billman will need it as core when you order from him.

czirrfb3 02-04-2019 08:30 AM

The one on here looks old and seems to maybe be leaking oil probably bad seals
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...b9a34f5dbe.jpg

B serious 02-04-2019 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by czirrfb3 (Post 24562103)
well the vehicle has 160k miles and I womt be driving it every day. If the Duralast one fails down the road I could always get a new one I suppose. I kinda just need a fix asap because the stock one is making the chain rattle at high temps.

If you don't need to drive it...then why be in a hurry to fix it with an iffy part that could cause issues down the line?

Unless you're saying that its your only car...but you only NEED it once every few days?