S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Will I be ok with Duralast parts?

Old 02-04-2019, 03:53 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by czirrfb3
I traded my 2009 civic Si with 138k miles + $2,000 on top.

You guys got me. I will order the Ballade sports one now and return the Duralast one to Autozone.

Now just to clear up. Is the Ballade sports a direct replacement or do I need to fuss around with other things. I'd like a quick easy install. You guys mentioned one of the two recommended TCT's will need extra work other than the nor.al install.
If you want a quick easy install get the Billman one. While the Ballade sports one is good (engineering explained did a video on it), the Billman TCT comes preloaded, is 25$ cheaper and should only be a 10 minute install if you follow Billman's instructions to the letter.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:58 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Maybe I can return it at my local autozone store but I ordered it online and it's already shipped so I dunno.

edit: called my local autozone the guy says I need to speak to the manager about returning online orders to the store. And he disagrees that Duralast parts are bad.
Tell you what, since you seemed set on using this part... why not tell us a year from now, how you like it? Be our test bed. Just tryin' to make a positive spin to this thread.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I emailed MM3Kwolik about ordering his. Is that the user I speak with? He started the thread you guys linked.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:24 PM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckoz

I suggest returning the duralast tct, and going with OEM, or @Billman250

^^
The following users liked this post:
Deckoz (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 04:27 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Second, the Billman tensioner. I put one on, almost three years ago. No problems.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by B serious
^^
Thank you! Message sent.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:23 PM

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Lololollllollllllol
presented in this thread:

i want the cheapest TCT available not the best
if my old motor grenades it's fine because it's old and only a weekend driver
i understand the TCT has design flaws and Oem fails, mine is failing but to save $170 I will leave it in and throw my duralast in a drawer for safe keeping
ive decided to wake up and smell what's cooking, I'll buy the more expensive one (ballade) that has failed in the past and requires maintenance and preloading etc

dude you are stubborn, but hey you got the info you came here for and whatever route you go please keep us all posted!

I traded my 2009 civic Si with 138k miles + $2,000 on top.

You guys got me. I will order the Ballade sports one now and return the Duralast one to Autozone.

Now just to clear up. Is the Ballade sports a direct replacement or do I need to fuss around with other things. I'd like a quick easy install. You guys mentioned one of the two recommended TCT's will need extra work other than the normal install.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tsxtx
Lololollllollllllol
presented in this thread:

i want the cheapest TCT available not the best
if my old motor grenades it's fine because it's old and only a weekend driver
i understand the TCT has design flaws and Oem fails, mine is failing but to save $170 I will leave it in and throw my duralast in a drawer for safe keeping
ive decided to wake up and smell what's cooking, I'll buy the more expensive one (ballade) that has failed in the past and requires maintenance and preloading etc

dude you are stubborn, but hey you got the info you came here for and whatever route you go please keep us all posted!

I am purchasing the one you guys recommended and returning the one I bought. As soon as the guy responds to my message.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:52 PM

Is this a good tutorial for the Billman one? Are there any other ways to purchase it outside private messaging the guy through here?

You would think the best TCT you can buy for the S2000 would be easier to obtain like through Amazon for example.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:21 PM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

PM here is my only form of order.

They are only sold here as they are made to order. I don’t buy them or have someone make them. Each one is machined to application by myself, with the GenX covering 90% of all cars. I also have different units depending on application.

The Duralast tct does not have hardened internals. All you will wind up doing is sending powdered metal into the engine.

The internals and components of your current OEM NTN tct are indestructible, aside from the orings. The problem does not lie within the tensioner. It lies within the chain geometry. This is why many people replace their tct with another oem tct, only to have loose chain noise return days later. The tensioner did not wear out in those few days.
There are over 100 cases of this here to read about.

Just the ACT of removing and installing the tensioner cures the noise temporarily, even putting the old one in with just new o-rings.

Tensioners that come preloaded with a holding bolt cure the noise by adding a large spring, putting 6 times the tension on the chain guide button than the oem unit. In cases where people are instructed to draw the tct in with the bolts, because the spring is so big that the unit does not fit, the pressure is upwards of 10x the oem pressure. The camwheel bushing will slowly, or sometimes quickly, shred itself.

Last edited by Billman250; 02-04-2019 at 06:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Will I be ok with Duralast parts?