S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Won't start - No spark after AP2 retainer install

Old 10-13-2016, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start - No spark after AP2 retainer install

Hi,

I took my s2000 to a local shop for ap2 retainers (intake side) as a preventative measure. After the install the mechanic is telling me that the car has no spark and will not start.

He mentioned that during the install my timing was a little off (I installed Billmans TCT not long ago and not sure if that could have thrown it off as I did not mess with the crank). He said he fixed the timing. He also noted that there was oil around the spark plugs and coil pack as the seals were not doing their job. He replaced the spark plugs with factory ngk.

After finishing the install he couldn't get the car to start up. He said he checked the ground wires and fuses and they seemed fine. He said coil packs were fine. He though it may be the ecu but said the ecu checks out. The immobilizer does not seem to be an issue. He swapped out sensors with another s2k and said the sensors were fine. He said he did a compression test and said all cylinders went up to 260lbs. He said he rechecked the timing 3 times and it is perfect. He said he even tried setting it back to where it was originally with no success.

After speaking with them they said they are stumped and have exhausted Honda's manual for no spark.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

2001 GPW S2000
86XXX miles
K&N FIPK, Ingalls ETD
Old 10-13-2016, 07:05 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

TCT replacement won't affect spark.

did the mechanic replace the valve cover seals- he said there was oil around the plugs so the problem is the rubber valve seals and likely not the plugs. did they torque the spark plugs to 21 ftlbs?

perhaps they've got the cam wheels off the correct timing. It seems the mechanic put the cams in off a few teeth and so had to correct his original mistake. And still didn't get it right and hence why the car won't start.

Just my guess and smarter people can chime in.

darcy
Old 10-14-2016, 05:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the car was running ok... and now the mechanic ''fixed'' your timing; it looks to me that NOW the timing is off

If I had to guess, your sparkplugs will probably spark just fine.

I do hope he installed the sparkplug seals correctly. Because they are sitting upside down. If you install them the way you think you should, they will leak oil onto your sparkplugs. Check the manual.

Other options: Did he double check all the sensors he disconnected? (like the camshaft position sensors)

Any guy who only had to replace some valve spring retainers, then puts it all back together and blames the ecu for not starting, is a bit of a **** if you ask me
Old 10-14-2016, 07:08 AM

They do say when you hear hoofbeats think horses not zebras....

Thanks for the replies I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

immobilizer system problems
Old 10-14-2016, 11:50 AM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

As mentioned, could be the crank sensor but more likely one of the two cam sensors. These sensors will cause a no start situation too.

Good luck!
Old 10-14-2016, 01:18 PM

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Hfreak
As mentioned, could be the crank sensor but more likely one of the two cam sensors. These sensors will cause a no start situation too.

Good luck!
I second this. Have this happen to me personally when I forgot to tighten them down when re install the valve cover.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:59 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaspah

Any guy who only had to replace some valve spring retainers, then puts it all back together and blames the ecu for not starting, is a bit of a **** if you ask me
This. Though I would use the term idiot. Why would it be something you didn't mess with, and that was working fine before? Its something you did, Mr so called mechanic.

Knowing how to take stuff off and put stuff on doesn't make you a mechanic.

And there is an oil leak, so you change plugs???
Old 10-14-2016, 02:22 PM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

Number one cause is cam timing.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250
Number one cause is cam timing.
So I went to the shop today to see what was going on. I asked if he could check the timing again and he let me watch as he removed the valve cover. The timing was off and I mentioned that but he said that they tried the correct timing three times but it didn't work so they reset it to what they thought I came in with. I asked if he could remove the cam covers and try again. He reset the timing for the cam markers to line up and started putting the cam covers back on and it made a weird noise. I noticed that the teeth of the cam gears were not splining in and we were actually on teeth to teeth. Two of the cam covers are now cracked, that was the noise. He then got the cam gears to spline and seat properly although the markers seemed a tiny bit off and replaced all the cam covers.

He tested for spark and VOILA! We have spark! Billman is right it was timing all along.

He didn't want to try to start the car as there is a crack on two cam covers. So issue is solved and the car should be able to start.

He said he will replace the two cam covers from a rebuilt s2000 motor he knows of and it should not be an issue. He said he can not order the cam covers individually as Honda won't sell them individually and you have to buy a complete head.

I'm happy that we at least know the car starts now.

Quick Reply: Won't start - No spark after AP2 retainer install