S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   Wont start. Get one click. All electronics work fine. New battery, new alternator (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/wont-start-get-one-click-all-electronics-work-fine-new-battery-new-alternator-1181926/)

liquid_helix136 02-14-2018 07:17 AM

Wont start. Get one click. All electronics work fine. New battery, new alternator

Ive got a beautiful 07 GPW I've had for a couple years now. I had some starting issues a couple months ago which ended up being a bad alternator, which in turn killed the battery. Replaced both and everything was working great for the next 1-2 months.

Fast forward to today. Zero symptoms prior. Backed the car into the garage like normal. Woke up this morning, go to start the car and get a single CLICK. Nothing else.

I initially think it's the battery. Give it a jump, and same thing. A single CLICK! and it's done. I notice all the electronics are still working fine throughout this. I was even able to lower the soft top down after trying to start the car, no problems. Radio going good etc.

I checked the fuse under the dash, it's reading 11.5v w/ ignition on
I checked the relay under the dash and it's reading fine as well.
I put the battery from this car into my Honda Element, and the Element fired right up. No battery concerns here at all.
I even pushed all the plugs on the starter motor to ensure nothing came undone. Still just get a single CLICK
After attempting to start the car, I do have an audible and repetitive soft "click click click click" coming from what sounds to be the starter area.

The engine doesn't turn over a single time. So I'm guessing its a bad starter?
After searching, I've seen people asking if the car has an aftermarket alarm, which mine DOES have. It's got a Clifford G5. Maybe the alarm is immobilizing the car? I've removed the battery, locked and unlocked the car a couple times and tried starting with no help.

Any help or ideas would be great!
Thanks

EDIT:
I took some videos to help diagnostics.
Video 1
You'll have to turn the volume way up to listen to the 2nd video's "repetitive clicking noise"
Video 2

hoobastnk90 02-14-2018 07:36 AM

Sounds like a starter motor to me, you could try pop starting the car also.

windhund116 02-14-2018 08:16 AM

All high tension lines to starter, alternator, & ground clean and tight?

rpg51 02-14-2018 08:46 AM

Sounds like starter to me too.

liquid_helix136 02-14-2018 12:04 PM

I'm not sure where the ground lines and things run, so I'm not too sure on how to check those

liquid_helix136 02-14-2018 02:25 PM

Checked all grounds including battery and battery voltage. Smacked it with a long screw driver while cranking as well. No luck. WTB starter motor :(

Hfreak 02-14-2018 02:47 PM

I assume you can turn the dampener bolt with a ratchet, hopefully?

Car Analogy 02-15-2018 01:37 PM

11.5v is a dead battery (12.6v is normal). But you didn't measure it AT the battery, and the battery proved itself good by starting another car. So what gives?

Assuming if you measure the battery itself and its something much close to 12.6, yet its only 11.5 at the fuse, it would indicate your issue is a bad connection somewhere between the battery and where you measured it. Most likely the battery terminal itself.

Measure at battery, then keep measuring farther towards the fuse, and see where the voltage drops. That is where your issue is.

afzan 02-15-2018 02:40 PM

It's possible that a bad battery could start another car but not an s2k.. the higher compression on our motors takes more power to start vs lesser 4 bangers