S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

2014 Goals

Old 01-09-2014, 05:46 PM

Received 3,513 Likes on 2,377 Posts

I have a simple goal, be happy and healthy this year.

now if I can actually figure out how to be happy, I'll be all set.
A typical satisfaction window lasts a few hours to days.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:57 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Eat more salted caramel biscotti, drink good wines. Munch on Greek olives. You know, try to live on a meager salary. Get a better paying job. Hope to find a true love, but not rushing it. Clean up the house. Walk the dogs more often. Catch a play or two. Learn the piano. Practice my trumpet daily. Read more books and get off the internet more frequently. Scratch the cats' head. Simple stuff.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:44 PM

Received 1,108 Likes on 988 Posts

2 things- one of which I've done everyday since the Jan 01.

Do something nice for a person I know or a complete stranger every day.
Pay off credit card debt (~10k).
Old 01-10-2014, 12:49 PM

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts

This definitely isn't my entire list (leastwise I don't think it's really complete, is what I mean), but I think this is plenty for me to start with:

Work related:
Increase net profit by 10%
Decrease total expenses by 10%
Add two new maintenance clients
Make a decision regarding the Accent's wrap, etc and do it
Continue improvements towards consistent bookkeeping
Update web site
Update biz entity status
Get on list of "women owned" businesses and see if that makes a rodent's posterior bit of difference

Personal:
Achieve weight of 125 pounds
Complete one car project per month
-- maintenance, improvement, or just general car attention
Complete one "around the house" project per month
-- hang a picture, sort some clutter, shampoo the carpet, gather stuff for donation, etc
Take one spa trip per quarter
-- get a massage, manicure, facial
Take one "away" extended weekend per quarter
-- can be combined with a spa day
Do at least two track/autocross days in 2014
-- one in the S2000 and one in the Lotus, or two in the Lotus
Visit Mom in NC
Get some dental work done
Get to 0 on credit card balance and maintain it
Start a monthly fund for "Let's go to Europe!" trip
** and something I don't want to share publicly but I want as a reminder on the list to do quarterly**
Old 01-10-2014, 01:04 PM

Realistically, it's highly probable that I won't get to some of the things on the list. Heck, life could suddenly throw me an unexpected curveball and I might get NONE of them done. Who knows? If that happens, that happens. But I have found that if I make a Goal list, then I have a *better* chance of doing those things than if I don't make one. Don't take this to mean I think everyone should do this. I'm just saying this is what I like to do. It seems to help me. I am happy if I check off anything on the list because I did *something* productive and that's a plus. And sometimes I come up with a CRAZY goal that everyone says is nuts (including ME!) and then it sneaks up on me and the next thing I know, I own a freaking Lotus... and I gotta tell you, when I spoke that "crazy goal" in a professional/personal development course I took in 2012, I was convinced it was the most insane idea I ever could have had. Even as I shared it with the group I found myself saying, "This is a really dumb idea and I would have no place to keep it and there are so many more 'worthy' goals I 'should' have and...blah blah blah." And a few months later I completely forgot about having spoken that goal, or so I thought. But apparently it hit my subconscious and I started researching and looking around.

Then last Spring I was having drinks with some friends and sharing about the new car and one of the people in the group happened to be the leader of that development course and darned if she didn't remind me, "Hey, Roseanne, wasn't that the totally CRAZY goal you put on your list last year?" And damned if she wasn't right.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:31 PM

Received 1,412 Likes on 766 Posts

Originally Posted by RMurphy
This definitely isn't my entire list (leastwise I don't think it's really complete, is what I mean), but I think this is plenty for me to start with:

Work related:
Increase net profit by 10%
Decrease total expenses by 10%
Add two new maintenance clients
Make a decision regarding the Accent's wrap, etc and do it
Continue improvements towards consistent bookkeeping
Update web site
Update biz entity status
Get on list of "women owned" businesses and see if that makes a rodent's posterior bit of difference

Personal:
Achieve weight of 125 pounds
Complete one car project per month
-- maintenance, improvement, or just general car attention
Complete one "around the house" project per month
-- hang a picture, sort some clutter, shampoo the carpet, gather stuff for donation, etc
Take one spa trip per quarter
-- get a massage, manicure, facial
Take one "away" extended weekend per quarter
-- can be combined with a spa day
Do at least two track/autocross days in 2014
-- one in the S2000 and one in the Lotus, or two in the Lotus
Visit Mom in NC
Get some dental work done
Get to 0 on credit card balance and maintain it
Start a monthly fund for "Let's go to Europe!" trip
** and something I don't want to share publicly but I want as a reminder on the list to do quarterly**
Great list, Roseanne. I surely wish you success in achieving some, if not all, especially the one bracketed by ** , if it fits in this category:
Old 02-02-2014, 01:11 PM

Here is my January 2014 progress report:

Work stuff: Sadly I have increased expenses at work due to a free utility I used to use now going paid. Oh well. No new clients yet. Biz entity status change filed. Can't do woman owned thing until I get confirmation on status change is recorded. Bookkeeping good but needs more improvement still.

Weight loss: Hovering between 8 and 10 pounds to go to hit 125. Need to work harder, but doing pretty well at portion control and eating more steamed vegetables or salads with little dressing (only low cal) instead of having second helpings of the entree. My clothes are starting to feel better a little bit.

Car projects: got PDR work done on the S, did DIY door ding defenders, installed dash cam permanently in the Accent. Ordered parts for the Lotus so, once installed, I can take it to track days. Should be installed this week. Yay. Quite excited.

Around the house projects: shampooed carpet in the living room after the plumber mucked it up working on the gas line in the fireplace. I shouldn't count that though since it's more maintenance and less improvement. :-( Been religiously peppering to repell cats on the balcony and in the parking structure. Took some stuff to donation.

No progress on the travel fund, but making steady progress toward zero balance on the credit card. Only carrying balance on the one with 3.9% interest and I should be able to have that at 0 in six months if I stick to my plan.

Need to schedule spa day. Need to plan extended weekend away trip which, at this rate, will probably happen in March.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:29 PM

Received 3,513 Likes on 2,377 Posts

Still have no idea what makes me happy.

but geez Roseanne your status report makes me feel like I'm at work.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by boltonblue
Still have no idea what makes me happy.

but geez Roseanne your status report makes me feel like I'm at work.
Next you're gonna expect a paycheck. :rollseyes:

This is a way to help keep me on track. Much like the "I'm Fat" thread from last year, it's a good place for attaboys and that's-too-bads as needed for anyone who wants to use it that way. Or just for forcing a little accountability into the mix (my intention for myself).
Old 02-02-2014, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My goals are simple.

Personal health: I lost 45 lbs from my heaviest, so my goal is to maintain that weight or lose more. The most important thing to me as how I look and feel. The weight isn't the biggest factor. It's looking at your body with a mirror and seeing which muscle groups I should work on more. I've also been doing weekly blood pressure and weight measurements to make track my hypertension.

Personal finance: Save for a new roof and new DD. Turns out I'm pretty good at not buying trivial items, but I don't mind spending on a good meal. What kind of Yelper would I be if I did not?

Personal goals: Continue to be a good person. Remain nonchalant (most of the time).

Work: Not get fired or laid off. Not always up to me, but I'll do my best.

Quick Reply: 2014 Goals