S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

2018 Accord Unvailed

Old 07-16-2017, 09:06 AM

Received 1,102 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
I know that. Maybe they plan to attach a walker to the opening in the front.
Kinda like the umbrella in the Rolls Royce doors?
Old 07-16-2017, 06:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

SO glad bought mine in 17. That ugly tacked on iPad on the dash is a no go for me. Also would not want the sedan.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:54 PM

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,105 Posts

If you think the front grill is a problem take a look at the front of the current generation of Lexus. It has to be (the Acura beak notwithstanding) the ugliest front grill that has ever been. Still, the Lexus keeps selling without a problem. I really don't think Honda will have a problem.

I don't think the Accord will suffer greatly from the lack of the 6 cylinder. Have any of you driven the Accord with a 4 cylinder turbo engine? My 2006 Si had a 2.0 litre engine putting out 205 hp, my 2017 Si has a 1.5 litre turbocharged engine putting out 205 horse power. The 2017 is faster and has much more torque. I don't think it's going to be a problem for Honda.

Last edited by ralper; 07-16-2017 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:48 PM

Received 4,926 Likes on 2,987 Posts

The Lexus grill is as ugly as they get but at least it is on an SUV. Mid-size sedans in general are out of fashion. Sales continue to drop across the board, no matter who makes them, in favor of SUV’s and crossovers. Why would you think an ugly grill on a new sedan could even match the sales of an ugly crossover; everything else being equal? Of course, the price, I would think works in Honda's favor having never checked.

I get you have Honda oil running in your veins and I personally wish the company could once again set the standard they use to have.

And right after I posted the above I got this email....

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...utonews-weekly

Last edited by dlq04; 07-16-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:48 PM

In tof's "Show us your ride" thread I mentioned that from the pictures I didn't think the new NSX was much, but after seeing it in person I completely changed my mind. In person the car is absolutely beautiful.

I think the same thing might happen with the Accord. I can't help but think the car will look much better in person than it does in the pictures.

I do agree that the video panel on the dashboard looks like and added on afterthought. I don't like it, I didn't like i in my BMW and I don't like it in the Mercedes Benz model that it comes in. Unfortunately it seems to be a trend. I doubt its a styling issue, it probably a manufacturing issue. It's probably cheaper to do it this way especially since there are variations in sized depending upon what you buy.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire
Dave,a four door Accord is not meant,to be an exiting car.
It' more like a Camry.
Emil,

I sort of disagree with you. The difference in the past, between an Accord and a Camry was that a Camry drove like a Buick whereas an Accord was fun to drive. No, it wasn't a sports car, but it was a fun car to drive. About 5 to 7 years ago that changed. The Accord grew bigger, fatter and heavier and more like the Camry. That's part of the reason that the Civic overtook the Accord as Honda's best selling 4 door. Today's Civic is what the Accord was 15 years ago.

I think Honda is trying to bring the Accord back to where it was. It was never supposed to be just another Camry. It was always supposed to be the more fun alternative 4 door sedan from Japan.

As a matter of fact, at the New York auto show about 4 or 5 years ago one of the Toyota sales people told me about the sport edition of the Camry that they were trying to capture the fun driving experience of the Accord.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:14 PM

By the way, I love your 1979 Accord. Liz and I had an '82 Accord that looked almost the same. We traded our original X-1/9 in for it. What a change. It started every morning and got us home every night. It was a great little car. It was priced at $14,500 but because we were willing to take a brown one with a manual transmission we were able to buy it for $14,000. I don't remember what we got for the X-1/9 but no matter how much, we got the better of the deal.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:51 PM
tof

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Rob, you may be mis-remembering the price of the 82. According to Car Gurus the original base price for an 82 coupe was 7500. Original sticker on my '79 was 6,799 plus whatever the dealer added on for prep, etc. Be that as it may, you probably are dead on about the mark-down and that was quite an accomplishment in those heady days when Honda dealers regularly marked the cars up. I also had a 2nd Gen Accord, my first of many Hondas that I have owned over the years. It was so much better than anything else I test drove that I had to have it. It was dark bronze and had optional alloy wheels, which was a first for me. It was a great car that gave us many miles of happy motoring. The second gen was very much like the first but the interior styling was nicer, as I recall. Also Honda went to rectangle headlamps, all the rage at the time, and the bumpers were more nicely integrated. Size wise it was not much bigger than the original, weighing less than 80 pounds more compared to a first generation coupe.

My most recent experience with an X1/9 involved pulling the engine with a friend onto a big piece of cardboard, jacking up the rear, and dragging the whole thing out from under so he could rebuild it. The rebuild was quite successful as the car is still on the road seven or eight years later. Was yours red? Seems like they all were red.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:26 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper
Emil,

I sort of disagree with you. The difference in the past, between an Accord and a Camry was that a Camry drove like a Buick whereas an Accord was fun to drive. No, it wasn't a sports car, but it was a fun car to drive. About 5 to 7 years ago that changed. The Accord grew bigger, fatter and heavier and more like the Camry. That's part of the reason that the Civic overtook the Accord as Honda's best selling 4 door. Today's Civic is what the Accord was 15 years ago.

I think Honda is trying to bring the Accord back to where it was. It was never supposed to be just another Camry. It was always supposed to be the more fun alternative 4 door sedan from Japan.

As a matter of fact, at the New York auto show about 4 or 5 years ago one of the Toyota sales people told me about the sport edition of the Camry that they were trying to capture the fun driving experience of the Accord.
Rob,I was thinking,more a four door sedan Accord,circa 2000, with a four cylinder,and auto tranny...now,if you give me a two door coupe,with a V-6,6 speed manual,then it's another story.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by tof
Rob, you may be mis-remembering the price of the 82. According to Car Gurus the original base price for an 82 coupe was 7500. Original sticker on my '79 was 6,799 plus whatever the dealer added on for prep, etc. Be that as it may, you probably are dead on about the mark-down and that was quite an accomplishment in those heady days when Honda dealers regularly marked the cars up. I also had a 2nd Gen Accord, my first of many Hondas that I have owned over the years. It was so much better than anything else I test drove that I had to have it. It was dark bronze and had optional alloy wheels, which was a first for me. It was a great car that gave us many miles of happy motoring. The second gen was very much like the first but the interior styling was nicer, as I recall. Also Honda went to rectangle headlamps, all the rage at the time, and the bumpers were more nicely integrated. Size wise it was not much bigger than the original, weighing less than 80 pounds more compared to a first generation coupe.

My most recent experience with an X1/9 involved pulling the engine with a friend onto a big piece of cardboard, jacking up the rear, and dragging the whole thing out from under so he could rebuild it. The rebuild was quite successful as the car is still on the road seven or eight years later. Was yours red? Seems like they all were red.
You are absolutely right. The Accord was priced at $7,500 and we got it for $7,000 because we were willing to take the brown with a manual transmission. The $14,000 was what I paid for a Jeep Wrangler years later. I had a Honda 350 motorcycle in college and it was built like a watch. After two MGs, a TR6 and an X-1/9 I decided it was time to get something that would get me where I was going without a tow truck. The little Accord was a great car. We could almost make it from out loft in the city to my sister-in-law's house in Virginia Beach on one tank of gas. More importantly, we could make it and back without any mechanical problems.

That was the first of about 4 Accords. Everyone was better than the one that came before it.

My X-1/9 was a rust color. That was probably the best part of it. That and my Triumph TR6 were the two worst cars I've ever owned with my Jeep Wrangler a close 3rd.

Last edited by ralper; 07-17-2017 at 02:48 PM.

Quick Reply: 2018 Accord Unvailed