S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Which 5 cars would you own?

Old 02-14-2013, 06:28 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts
Default Which 5 cars would you own?

If you'd have told me 10 years ago that I had a 5 car garage and unlimited funds to spend and asked me which cars I'd buy, I'd fill my garage with old, classic type cars. I'd have bought a 1960s Morgan, an original AC Cobra with a 289 engine, a 1952 MG-TD or a 1948 MG-TC, a 356C Porsche Speedster, and maybe a Mercedes Gullwing.

But, my tastes, wants and desires have changed. For some reason I no longer long for older museum pieces that I'd own to take care of and admire. No, today I want cars that I can jump into and drive, and have fun driving and perhaps get some use out of. So, here is my list as of today, and the reasons behind each car.

1. 2002 Honda S2000-As little as I use it (now less than 2,000 miles per year)I really love owning it. I've thought about selling it but I can't bring myself to sell. It's a very special car, and when I drive it, I love driving it and using it. I never thought I'd feel that way about a car that spends 95% of the year (or more) in the garage, but I do.

2. 2012 BMW 328i-For a daily driver and a four door sedan I'm really enjoying it. Its everything I thought I'd never want, bigger, heavier, turbocharged and expensive, but I have to admit that I really like it. It's comfortable and fun to drive. It's a sporty coupe all grown up and mature. I never thought I'd like it as much as I do, but as I'm getting older I'm more and more beginning to appreciate the comfort and quiet even at the sake of a little sportiness.

3. 2006 (through 2009) Honda Civic Si 2 door coupe-It's bouncy, bumpy and noisy and everything the BMW isn't. It's more fun to drive than any hardtop car I've ever owned. You rev the hell out of it, and all it does is ask for more. Its a time machine, when you get behind the wheel of this car you temporarily get 25 years younger. Its pure boy racer, and one of the most fun cars I've ever owned. Sometimes you just need a little bounce and bump and noise. Sometimes you just need a little silly fun.

4. 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara (2 door only)-Sometimes it snows around here. Sometimes it snows very hard around here and none of my other cars can make it up the driveway. Sometimes during the summer its fun to take the top down, take the doors off and drive with your left foot hanging out resting on the running board. I wouldn't use it often, but boy would it come in handy when I did. I had a 1988 Jeep Wrangler years ago and when it worked it was a lot of fun and full of utility, but it didn't work often and I don't think there was ever a time when everything worked. But that was the last years of AMC and I think a lot of things have changed over the years. While I understand that Jeep's quality and reliability still aren't great, they are much improved from way back when.

5. 1952 MG-TD-This choice makes absolutely no sense, not even to me, but I never should have sold the one I had. I've always loved this car, and would love to have another one. I probably wouldn't use it much, but this is the one car I'd own just to admire and be nostalgic about how things must've been in the "good old days". I'd probably roll it out of the garage every Sunday, wash and wax it, and roll it back in. Even I think that's silly, but this is the one car I've always wanted to own and have always admired, so this is the one museum piece I'd have in my garage. (If not a 1952 MG-TD than a 1048 MG-TC)

So, that's my list. Here's the challenge. If you had a 5 car garage and unlimited funds, which cars would you buy? And if you care to explain why you would own them please do.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:52 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

this is fun. All my cars have to be manual shift...apart from #5

1. my AP1 s2000- its my first and i know it very well. no sense in selling it off to get someone else's pain
2. '08 or '09 CR s2000- I'd like the best iteration of the AP1 (see #1), and the AP2.

3. 2012 BMW 1M- big power. low dollar investment- fun summer daily driver.

4. 2011 Porsche boxster spyder- simple with an annoying top...but fizzy fun, rare, and ubercool.
5. 2013 Nissan GTR- my winter daily driver and one automatic.

I guess this really isn't a very pricey garage-mahal. Hey, i can't help but be a realist and see that this is an attainable goal. I could have filled the garage with an audi R8, porsche GT3rs, Fiat 500 Abarth, bentley continental, and Ferrari F40.

darcy
Old 02-14-2013, 07:04 PM

Received 3,520 Likes on 2,381 Posts

hmmm unlimited funds make it slightly more interesting. I guess that also applies to operating expenses.
It would actually start out looking an awful lot like my garage today just updated.

1.) My daily driver would be either the MB E550 4-matic or the 2014 E63 4-matic.
While not exactly in the land of ice and snow, I do live in the north where it does snow a lot.
( today it's an '01 E430 4-matic)

2.) For the utilitarian side of things the MB GL550 ( the mileage is really crappy but I have an unlimited budget right?)
Of course this assumes that I will actually go skiing again someday.
( today it's an '98 ML320 4-matic unfortunately my garage is only 3 bays and it has to sleep in the driveway)

3.) For the big family car, I'd have a tossup between the Audi S8 and the MB S550 4-matic
( today it's an '03 S430 4-matic)

4.) The toy. I'd probably keep the S2000. the emotional connection is there and see no reason to change it.
Today it's in the garage.

5.) lastly the exotic. since we have the latitude to be silly here. McLaren MP4-12C
forget a current equivalent, I don't even have a 1/18 scale model of this.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:22 AM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts

1.) My daily driver would be either the MB E550 4-matic or the 2014 E63 4-matic Black Edition.

2.) For the utilitarian side of things the MB GL550 AMG

3.) For the big family car, Bentley Continental GT Convertible

4.) The toy. I'd probably keep the S2000. the emotional connection is there and see no reason to change it.

5.) lastly the exotic. since we have the latitude to be silly here. McLaren MP4-12C

I just copied yours and pasted it. except for one car we agree on everything.

fltsfshr
Old 02-15-2013, 04:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ralper
Here's the challenge. If you had a 5 car garage and unlimited funds, which cars would you buy? And if you care to explain why you would own them please do.
I swear I could answer this question every month, and every time I did so, some of the answers would be different
I guess my list of my favorite 5 is just ever changing

1- My '90 CRX-Si - it's my baby, I could never get rid of it
2- My '02 S2000 - same as 1, not going to let it go
3- My '57 MGA - it was my Dad's, someday I'll get it done, I could never get rid of it
So this leaves me with only 2 more to pick
4- '13 Nissan Titan SE 4x4 KingCab - my daily driver has to be a pickup, the 5.6 V8 and manual shift auto 5-speed in this truck could be one of the best drivetrains in a truck ever, and with unlimited cash the 15mpg would not bother my wallet
5- Ferrari - F430 Scuderia, as much as I just love the 458 Italia, I may have to go with an older model because I would prefer to have a manual than flappy paddles

I know many car enthusiasts don't understand my love for pickups, but that's ok, I sometimes don't understand it, but when it comes to a comfy vehicle that can do anything, these big brutes rule for me. I had an '05 Titan for 4-years, so I know 1st hand what this vehicle is like.

This was one of the very last Ferraris with a real manual tranny, and of course, mine would not be in classic red, it would be in Ferrari Yellow.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Come on guys step it up

1. Pagani Huayra
2. Ferrari Enzo
3. BMW M1 (not 1M)
4. Koenigsegg Agera R
5. Mclaren P1

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-15-2013, 08:15 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

Hmm, I have a hard time dealing with the notion 'unlimited funds', but if I'm fantasizing, I'd definitely want to have a P-Car (at least one) in the garage. I like the new Cayman, and the new 911s, but Porsche has started to look more and more like a Corvette wannabe. They're growing the size of their sports cars to resemble their Cayenne, rather than the other way round. They are getting too big for my tastes. So I'd probably have a naturally aspirated 2011 911 in the garage to begin with.

My starting point standard for my five cars regarding size and drivability, would be the authentic small sports cars of yesteryear. Both the muscle cars and super cars are out. And I don't like to drive school busses, no matter how prestigeous or plush they are. So Bentleys and such are out for me. Still I could be happy with a Porsche Panamera alongside the 911.

My small SUV would need to drive a bit like the sports car, so I would stay with the Mercedes ML350 diesel with its comfort and its torque for towing and climbing hills. And it's smaller carbon footprint.

I'd have to have a Jeep. I like the 2013 Rubicon with its traditional off road features, but it has a bit more umpf than the earlier guys.

I'd keep my S2000, because I like the car and the culture and the friends it binds together. It is now configured exactly the way I like it for the way I use the car. The Honda is a car that allows me to use my modest wrenching skills for mods and maintenance. But It is beginning to get a bit long in the tooth, by way of tach mileage, so I might have to replace it down the line, and If so I might have to park a 2013 BMW Z4 M convertible in the garage in its place. But for now I'm hanging on to it. It's yellow, .. it's fun ...and it's quick!!

(Oh and I have left out some less expensive but great cars that I really like, e.g. the Mini Cooper S, and the new Beetle.... Too many choices. If I were buying a really expensive car, I would look for an authentic 1955 Porsche 550 Spyder, or even maybe a replica would do.)
Old 02-15-2013, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by garrett1021
Come on guys step it up
1. Pagani Huayra
2. Ferrari Enzo
3. BMW M1 (not 1M)
4. Koenigsegg Agera R
5. Mclaren P1
Nice list, but FOR ME, I can't help but wonder, which one of those would haul home 4x8 sheets of plywood, sheetrock, 2x4's and cement blocks... Stepping it up is all relative to one's needs and wants

And I would rather have an F430 Scuderia with three pedals on the floor than an Enzo with flappy paddles
Old 02-15-2013, 09:23 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

1. Mercedes 55SL AMG
2. A mustang I saw at the big auto auction in Las Vegas a couple years ago. Looked pretty stock, but it had 650 HP and sold for 350K. Real Sleeper.
3. Toyota pickup truck
4. one of those beautiful Bentleys with the beautiful lines and soft leather (sorry I don't know models)
5. would an airplane fit in the last slot in the garage?
Old 02-15-2013, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Morris
3. Toyota pickup truck
I totally get it

Although the Tacoma and Tundra are not my first choices, I totally understand the desire for a pickup!
My current daily driver is a Frontier KingCab PRO-4X, 4.0 V6 with a 6-speed manual, I just love it
And even if money were unlimited, I would still have a pickup in my fleet, no matter what

Quick Reply: Which 5 cars would you own?