S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

59 murdered, over 500 wounded

Old 10-05-2017, 05:40 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Zippy
So as not to send this to the bin, I will be brief. We are now 4 days in, and we can be sure of at least a couple of things. He was successful in business and was considered wealthy. He was considered rather normal by the people around him. He was able to purchase and maintain an "arsenal" and drew no red flags. He had a psychopathic tendency that led him to believe that he had to kill as many people as humanly possible in the shortest time possible.

Now it is possible to "equate" a reason from what we know, but no one will ever understand why he did it, since apparently only he knows, as he left no message, and any words that are not his are merely speculation. As MsP said he had "probably" targeted an pop music event earlier but couldn't get the right room, so it wasn't an attack on "country music culture". We spend way too much time wondering why and not wondering how we can prevent it in the future, except to change our entire way of life. The question becomes whose way of life needs to change to protect all of us from someone that has fallen off the edge. Someone, that no one knows has slid over the side to a bad place and would like to kill any one of us for no reason.

We can not protect our future and the future of our family, friends, and neighbors, with constant post-mortems on the "whys" when those "whys" are pure speculation at best and simply wrong at their worst.

My advice, stay out of open areas, public areas, restaurants, malls, high school football games, concerts, and elementary schools because you never know whose going to show up, what a sad day for America.
Events like this make me consider paying for a membership so I can discuss the political issues. I agree with everything you have written above.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:23 AM

Received 219 Likes on 162 Posts

I didn't know where else to put this so I will just drop it here. This is probably the saddest story I have read in a long time. This related to the Vegas tragedy:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.e1f780ec1f83
Old 10-05-2017, 08:39 AM

Received 702 Likes on 475 Posts

So as not to send this to the bin, I will be brief. We are now 4 days in, and we can be sure of at least a couple of things. He was successful in business and was considered wealthy. He was considered rather normal by the people around him. He was able to purchase and maintain an "arsenal" and drew no red flags. He had a psychopathic tendency that led him to believe that he had to kill as many people as humanly possible in the shortest time possible.

Now it is possible to "equate" a reason from what we know, but no one will ever understand why he did it, since apparently only he knows, as he left no message, and any words that are not his are merely speculation. As MsP said he had "probably" targeted an pop music event earlier but couldn't get the right room, so it wasn't an attack on "country music culture". We spend way too much time wondering why and not wondering how we can prevent it in the future, except to change our entire way of life. The question becomes whose way of life needs to change to protect all of us from someone that has fallen off the edge. Someone, that no one knows has slid over the side to a bad place and would like to kill any one of us for no reason.

We can not protect our future and the future of our family, friends, and neighbors, with constant post-mortems on the "whys" when those "whys" are pure speculation at best and simply wrong at their worst.

My advice, stay out of open areas, public areas, restaurants, malls, high school football games, concerts, and elementary schools because you never know whose going to show up, what a sad day for America.
Easy to say, hard to do for a lot of us. We all attend these venues and it is so sad we now have to make choices all because of some whacko's who cant deal with life.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:41 PM

Received 4,942 Likes on 2,997 Posts

No way can I agree. That sounds like something Howard Hughes would come up with..... you remember him and his quote "I'm not a paranoid deranged millionaire. Goddamit, I'm a billionaire."
Old 10-06-2017, 12:34 AM

Received 918 Likes on 542 Posts

I am really wondering if you are serious about this.

What...stay isolated inside your own home all of the time, and never go anywhere ever?

Don't ever go to any open and public areas? Don't ever go to restaurants, malls, football games, concerts?

What if you have children...homeschool them?

Don't have a job outside of the home? (I worked at large universities for over 37 years, and there were several incidents of violence where people were killed.)

How about going to churches, synagogues, gyms, grocery stores, colleges, movies, cultural events, etc?

The list is endless where violence has occurred and many people have been killed. To me, it would be impossible to stay away from everywhere that violence might occur.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:45 AM

Received 2,591 Likes on 1,568 Posts

^ Sue - I think Ken was being facetious. Right, Ken? For the record, I'm not staying away from anywhere I want to go. That's why I made my reservation for our trip to Paris in spite of the Bataclan attack. The only country I've written off pretty much that I used to travel to is Mexico. Too much ongoing drug violence there. I remember how much fun my ex and I had in Acapulco at the end of a cruise from San Juan many years ago (through the Panama Canal). Both places now off the list for different reasons. It is very sad.

Last edited by MsPerky; 10-06-2017 at 01:18 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:08 AM

Received 918 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
^ Sue - I think Ken was being facetious. Right, Ken?
That is what I thought, MsPerky, but I wasn't really sure...and that is why I asked if he was serious.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:02 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

The sad truth is that nothing ever changes. For a few days America will grieve, discuss gun control, discuss mental illness, wonder what makes a person do this, and read about the victims. The grieving families will bury their dead and someone might even erect a monument. But than the next story comes along and America shifts its attention to it and all is forgotten. Forgotten until the next mass shooting comes along and we go through the cycle again. But nothing ever changes.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:57 AM

Received 3,507 Likes on 2,373 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Events like this make me consider paying for a membership so I can discuss the political issues. I agree with everything you have written above.
I do wish you would, I'd love to hear some of your opinions on the past 8 1/2 months.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:31 AM

Received 2,591 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Yeah, we kinda miss you in Politics.

Quick Reply: 59 murdered, over 500 wounded