S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

9 11 Always Remember/Never Forget

Old 09-12-2018, 08:34 PM

Received 4,926 Likes on 2,987 Posts

Touching stories
Old 09-14-2018, 07:10 AM

Received 784 Likes on 434 Posts

I worked across the street during summers as a teenager at my uncle's deli (The Signal, 90 Vesey St). It was always a treat to get a delivery ticket that said 2-104- which was one of the AMEX floors at the time. Just walking near the buildings at ground level, which, when looking up were massive was something. I also think that most people who were never there didn't realize the size of the footprint of the buildings. Then to get inside, take the shuttle elevators to 78? to transfer to the higher floors and see forever endlessly. CNNs NY headquarters were there too in the atrium, and I'd often get tickets for Larry King.

My sister was supposed to leave for Ohio that day to visit cousins. He was a fan of one of the local bakery's chocolate bread. My sister was going to pick some up, then head to the airport. She wasn't feeling well so she passed on the bread. Her friend was a chef at Windows on the World. He worked mornings but was asked to help with a party that night so he didn't go in. Both probably were spared for it.

I got the news in the parking lot at work with little details, then like most, got inside, went inside and started to see what really happened.

I don't think I know any casualties of the day directly, but know people who were impacted with friends/family. I also remember seeing just cars at the various park and rides in the area for weeks just sitting in the same spots.

I read recently that the losses from the toxic fumes and repercussions are now higher than the event itself.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:50 PM

Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

FWIIW: To this day, I hate the fact that a hand full of A$$holes have made life so miserable for so many around the world. Let alone the victims of the direct attacks and all of those that have been victims of the aftermath. They have sucked most of the pleasure out of flying. I long for the days when I used to able to upgrade to first or business class using miles on business travel, while enjoying Filet Mignon and Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream for dessert.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:44 AM

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,511 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_in_VA
FWIIW: To this day, I hate the fact that a hand full of A$$holes have made life so miserable for so many around the world. Let alone the victims of the direct attacks and all of those that have been victims of the aftermath. They have sucked most of the pleasure out of flying. I long for the days when I used to able to upgrade to first or business class using miles on business travel, while enjoying Filet Mignon and Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream for dessert.
While the terrorist caused the security to get tighter it is the AIRLINES that sucked the joy out of flying. They nickel and dime us to death then treat us like cattle.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:20 AM

Received 1,553 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
While the terrorist caused the security to get tighter it is the AIRLINES that sucked the joy out of flying. They nickel and dime us to death then treat us like cattle.
Depends on the airline and crew. I, and virtually all the crews I fly with, do our best to treat our customers like they deserve to be. Granted, weather, mechanical difficulties, and ATC can make for a bumpy experience but we do our best. International and domestic flying are really two different airlines and the sheer volume of people flying can dilute experiences. I might add the quality and demeanor of the traveling public seems to have become much more base over the decades. 35 years ago people seemed to dress up more and behave in a civilized manner. I can tell you that the airline business is extremely technical, very complicated and demanding business. Extremely expensive. It is either feast or famine. I have been on strike, gone through bankruptcy, and suffered (financially and professionally) at the hands of corporate raiders as well as assaults by lawmakers. If you think about what you are really getting, as you fly over the north pole on a non stop between continents, it is remarkable. Only a century before this kind of travel would be the stuff of dreams. Welcome onboard.

All in all, I have not forgotten that the customers are the ones who make my profession a reality and help me bring home the bacon and provide a livelihood. Thank you for flying the best airline in the USA.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:35 PM

Received 2,958 Likes on 1,644 Posts

On topic, I remember shock at what I saw on TV. And feeling frightened. Living in soCal it was not as intense for me as those of you who've been there or close.

Airlines aren't all the same. I fly strictly on Southwest. In my experience they treat their customers better than the rest and never charge for seat assignments or luggage. I wasn't happy to have to pay $95 to fly my cat under the seat in front of me, though! My backpack there is free.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:35 PM

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,511 Posts

I would never blame the crew. They get all of my respect for having to put up with us!