S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

About those MGA's

Old 06-03-2017, 12:28 PM
tof

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,306 Posts
Default About those MGA's

Hey, Dave. I have come to believe that the MGA is the loveliest classic one can buy for less than the cost of an E-type. Sweeter even than the beautiful Heal 3000, and that is saying something. I've started looking at them with that "Hmmm...maybe I could afford that one if I sold. my [Miata? Left arm? Soul?]
Old 06-03-2017, 03:40 PM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

Mike, I have to agree. If you are serious I would strongly recommend getting in contact with the closest Regional Chapter as a resource that can steer you toward a really good one or steer you away from one that is not.

This is a link to the national organization: North American MGA Register (NAMGAR) - MGA Classic Car Club

This is a link to the regional chapters: Regional Chapters - North American MGA Register (NAMGAR)

And, I can point you towards a couple car's that I think would be good rides - one in MI and one in FL.

We were at a meet in KY last summer and I had to stop and see my friend Jim.

Last edited by dlq04; 06-03-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:17 PM

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,107 Posts

The TC and TD are the classic MGs.
The B is the modern MG.
The A is the sexy MG. Grab one if you can.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:09 PM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Mike, I have to agree. If you are serious I would strongly recommend getting in contact with the closest Regional Chapter as a resource that can steer you toward a really good one or steer you away from one that is not.

This is a link to the national organization: North American MGA Register (NAMGAR) - MGA Classic Car Club

This is a link to the regional chapters: Regional Chapters - North American MGA Register (NAMGAR)

And, I can point you towards a couple car's that I think would be good rides - one in MI and one in FL.

We were at a meet in KY last summer and I had to stop and see my friend Jim.

Beautiful cars, Dave!
Old 06-03-2017, 09:51 PM

Thanks Rob. Thanks Jim.

Mike, I know that you will probably think I spent to much time with my friend Jim Beam but I would not trade my car for an XKE! Unless I needed the money. Believe me, I know an XKE. I spent many an hour as both passenger and driver at speeds up to 150 mph in France and Germany when they first came out and I was young and fearless with rich friends. The wonderful thing about the MGA is they made so many, so they are not put into a position where they have all become garage queen's due to their so-called-value..... far from it..... they are driver's like they were meant to be and "both" parts and support/advice/etc. are very available. And, what's even more interesting is the one's that are the most valuable per Hagerty Insurance and other resources are the one's to avoid, i.e. Twin Cam. Just some food for thought.

PS - And I have to add I love how down-to-earth 'most' MGA owners are..... just like 'most' S2000 owners are. The nice thing about making 100k of both models.

Last edited by dlq04; 06-03-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:17 AM

Received 696 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Thanks Rob. Thanks Jim.

Mike, I know that you will probably think I spent to much time with my friend Jim Beam but I would not trade my car for an XKE! Unless I needed the money. Believe me, I know an XKE. I spent many an hour as both passenger and driver at speeds up to 150 mph in France and Germany when they first came out and I was young and fearless with rich friends. The wonderful thing about the MGA is they made so many, so they are not put into a position where they have all become garage queen's due to their so-called-value..... far from it..... they are driver's like they were meant to be and "both" parts and support/advice/etc. are very available. And, what's even more interesting is the one's that are the most valuable per Hagerty Insurance and other resources are the one's to avoid, i.e. Twin Cam. Just some food for thought.

PS - And I have to add I love how down-to-earth 'most' MGA owners are..... just like 'most' S2000 owners are. The nice thing about making 100k of both models.
I agree, The only time you see these garage queens are at car shows.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:43 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Dave that is a great photo!

PS I listen to "American Stillhouse radio" on line. I guess that makes me a fan of Jim Beam too?
Old 06-05-2017, 06:25 PM
tof

Thanks for all the info and sage advise, Dave. (But I really wanted a garage queen twin cam. I just want it to always run and always look perfect after a thousand mile road trip )

Sadly missing from the list of states with NAMGAR regional chapters are Mississippi, Louisiana and Alabama. I would be surprised if there is a single decent MGA here on the coast. But it wouldn't be my first swim upstream.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by tof
Thanks for all the info and sage advise, Dave. (But I really wanted a garage queen twin cam. I just want it to always run and always look perfect after a thousand mile road trip )

Sadly missing from the list of states with NAMGAR regional chapters are Mississippi, Louisiana and Alabama. I would be surprised if there is a single decent MGA here on the coast. But it wouldn't be my first swim upstream.
Mike, If you are interested I can put you in touch with some Louisiana members (that's your state, right?). There are MGA owners who have agreed to share their phone numbers and addresses to assist other MGA owners in Baker, Baton Rouge (2), Denham Springs, Lafayette, Madisonville, Mandeville (2), Monroe, New Iberia, and Slidell. Any of these near you? There may be several multiple-British make clubs in Louisiana that would not have been in the original links I shared or the above list but very possible the people in the above list are aware of them.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:02 PM
tof

Alas, no. I live in Mississippi. BUT, Slidell is only about 30 minutes away. And Mandeville is not too much further. Plus Mandeville has the benefit of being close to Abita Springs, home of Abita Brewing Co.

Maybe its time to stop thinking about MGA's and start really learning about them. Time for some research.

Quick Reply: About those MGA's