S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

About those MGA's

Old 06-07-2017, 07:24 AM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

Sorry for the brain fart, especially since your location is right there. In Mississippi members are listed in Bay St. Louis, Crriere, Gulfport, Hattiesburg, Luka, Jackson, Olive Branch, Saucier, and Southaven. Sent me a PM if you ever decide you want to contact anyone.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:41 PM
tof

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Thanks, Dave. If the bug outgains financial caution I will let you know. Glad to hear there are so many members in the area. I will be on the lookout for them going forward. I think I've seen the Bay St. Louis MGA, parked with several other vintage British sports cars (including a lovely E-type) once during the monthly Second Saturday festivities over in the Bay.

Thanks, also, for your sage advice. Rest assured, I won't make a move without getting in touch.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:26 AM
tof

Hey, Dave. There's a twin cam just listed on Bring a Trailer. Should I toss in a bid?

On a more serious note, if you have a chance please check out this completed auction for a pretty Mark II, also on BaT.
38-Years-Owned 1960 MGA Roadster | Bring a Trailer

I am curious to get your take, particularly on possible issues that commentators may have missed, and on price/value.Trying to gauge the market. Not in any investment sense. Just looking to establish a baseline should I go shopping. Right now I have to help Sandy get a compact truck to replace her Camry that was rear-ended yesterday. She's fine. But the Camry is probably totaled as it was a bit of a beater to start with.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:34 PM

Mike, I will give you my assessment in a couple days. I see it was sold. Like you I'm suddenly buried in stuff. My wife was rear-ended on Sunday while stopped at a red light by someone talking on their cell phone. She's ok, thankfully. Tuesday I rebuilt the front end on the MG - new shocks, bushings, seals, etc. Then new brakes, rebound strap, etc. Today was spent painting the four wire wheels..... got'a look good since I made some major improvements in the handling with the new coil shocks. I am busting my butt trying to get the MG done, so I can get a boat ready for a trip up north. You get the idea..
Old 06-09-2017, 07:34 AM

Mike, it is raining so I had a couple minutes to look at the ad.

Looking at the photos the body looks excellent - far and away the most expensive item to repair or replace; these days a decent paint job runs about $5k. The alignments of the hood, doors, and trunk lid look excellent! Very good sign it has not been wrecked. “Assuming” the nice blue paint job isn’t hiding issues or lots of Bondo, I would say in today’s market that was a fair price given the seller has all the paperwork to support when and what’s been done. However, given most of the engine compartment and underside look neglected there could be some rather expensive surprises.

Clearly it needs a new radiator, the wiring looks original and neglected, and clearly the owner was not into detailing anything except the outside.

Legal Bill and other's are welcome to toss in their thoughts as well.

A couple things puzzle me. The car has a Moss Motor’s aftermarket grill that is very common. I’m really surprised given the miles driven the slats have not been turned to allow more air in, as that grill is very restrictive. For decades, until this year, it has been the only one offered, so the poor repo is common but usually opened, by twisting each slat slightly, to allow better flow. Even Oregon has to have hot days. I’m surprised he doesn’t have a functioning top (which are pricy to replace) given the location where there’s has to be lots of chances to encountering rain.

The engine bay, under body, etc. all strongly suggests the owner did not do his own maintenance. It is all pretty nasty but pretty much original; ignoring things like the dryer hose to the heater, poorly place fuel filter, etc. The 1600 is a good engine. I had a slightly modified one I drove for probably 20 years or so. Anyone pulling the engine to replace the clutch would likely have detailed the engine since they have it out; it looks like some painting to block was done but why not paint the fan pulley, etc. as well.

Bottom line, much looks original and untouched – that can be a very good thing since your not dealing with someone else’s fixes. I only learned that lesson after realizing the first MGA I bought was so much better than finding out the next MGA I bought was always giving me surprises - - some times its just small stuff like not staying original with fine thread bolts throughout the car.

Last edited by dlq04; 06-09-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:49 AM

Mike, just for grins I'll show you the Mich car I mentioned since he is asking $18.5k. It's in excellent condition, solid body, new tires, new top, rebuilt MGB 5-main 1800 engine (great engine for a driver car), 5-speed tranny (again, great engine for a driver car), enlarged radiator, new hi-torque starter, etc. and includes the original 1600 engine. It's no trailer queen but it has all the mods that are well received by those who really know these cars and 'drive' them. Note that his doors and trunk could be aligned better. Not the car for anyone into complete 'originality' but one that you could jump right into a drive anywhere.

Last edited by dlq04; 06-09-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:51 PM

BTW Mike I have the perfect car for your wife. Listed today here: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/cars-sal.../#post24223397

My wife's Subie only had $2,400 damage and she likes it for a barn car. We both agree this one is too nice (should be; its been a garage queen for 10 years) and I really hope some who loves and appreciates cars buys it. But, if not, it will be her next barn car!
Old 06-09-2017, 02:17 PM
tof

The A6 is a beauty. But Sandy is absolutely dead set on a compact pickup. She misses the Hardbody she had a few years ago. (The truck...not me...I haven't qualified in years!) Now I, on the other hand, would LOVE to own that A6 and it wouldn't be a bad replacement daily for my 2000 Accoerd V6. However distance and upkeep costs advise me against making an offer. Mainly distance. GLWTS.

The MG is sweet. I like the idea of the B 1.8 swap. And actually that is the kind of driver I would want. But not red. And not from so far away. We'll see. Again thanks so much for sharing your experience and wisdom.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:29 PM

Mike, those are all the decisions you or anyone needs to make considering a vintage car: do you want a car to "show" or to "go". Or, you can kid yourself and say both but in the end you will be afraid to drive it. Last year I hosted a color tour that ended up going down several dirt roads (OMG) because I did not "pre-drive it". All of the car's were covered with dust/dirt and everyone loved it and honestly I was SO glad a good friend could not make the event. We all agreed he would have died that day, since one could eat off the underside of his car - it is always that clean. And of course, the second question is do I want to do all or most of the restoration myself or write a check.

So, what were "your" thoughts on the bring a trailer car? Just wondering.

Last edited by dlq04; 06-09-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:06 AM
tof

On show/go. Well put. Of course those of us who want both just end up with two (or more) cars. In my case the 79 Accord is slowly turning into something more for show. Good thing, too, as 79 family car performance leaves much to be desired. Not just acceleration and braking, either. In the corners the old Accord leans like a drunken Japanese businessman on the kareoke stage. (The handling was exemplary for an economical family coupe in 1979 and it is fun to drive.) The Miata, of course, is no show car. NB's are still way too common to impress onlookers. I do keep it nice but I will drive it anywhere and would love to find a nice twisty dirt road to take it on. Surprising how rare such roads are in south Mississippi.

On the BaT MG, I will try to summarize what I thought before reading your comments.
I love the way it looks. I like that it is a Mark II...a bit more zest with that up-rated 1.6 liter, right? And disk brakes up front are a real plus. I would have completely missed the grill but looking more closely at the picture there is some droop to the gasket that surrounds the grill that I had not previously noticed. Would have overlooked the wiring, too. Compared to the rat's nest under the hood of my 79, it looks ok. And I wouldn't know if it was original, or if it was well maintained. The ugly dryer hose, on the other hand, IS hard to miss. Overall, the engine bay is just ok. You can have a driver and still have a nice engine bay especially when the mechanicals are so simple by modern standards. Doesn't have to be freshly painted, just tidy and clean. Interior seems quite nice. Love the body colored MG dash and the instruments. I prefer French stitching to piping but as the former becomes common in even "economy" cars I am developing a taste for the latter. The rust on the latch doesn't really concern me given it is a place that probably takes a beating and the fact that it looks to be easily fixable. But it would make me look hard for more. Undercarriage is a mystery to me. Is it good or are there danger signs there? I couldn't decide if the deeply pitted cross member and steering rack were signs of neglect or just age. But some components looked wet and that would be a concern to at least be investigated. I know its British and all British cars are supposed to leak various fluids but in fact I have seen and heard of a number of well-tended MGs and Triumphs and MGs where set right in this regard and didn't leak a drop. I would not be overly anal about this kind of leakage but I would want to know what was leaking and why, then decide if it should be fixed or just ignored.

Oh, and the color (colour?) is just beautiful. I don't even care if the upholstery piping doesn't match. Not only does the color suit the car, it also shows those lovely lines to really good effect.

Would I bid on it if it was close by? Probably. But only after a lot of additional research and an in person inspection with someone along who knew what to look for.

(Oh, that twin cam is still available. Not that I could afford it, but I was interested in the comments to the effect that isolating the carbs resolves much of the engine's reliability issues.)

Quick Reply: About those MGA's