S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Aftermarket exhaust issues

Old 09-30-2003, 05:38 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

It seems no matter how carefully I research an issue, I always learn about a new probelm AFTER I buy something.

Today I present the problem of after-market exhausts. After much research, I purchased the Spugen single round canister system. Below is a link to my report on the Spugen system which is excellent, except for one problem. At the end of the first thread is a link to my second thread which describes what I am doing to solve the problem. Anyway, since most of the threads here in vintage are about "favorite things" and what you do for a living, I thought I'd see if I could start something of a technical discussion. If any of you are awake enough, or care about mods, look through these threads and let me know what you think. I'm still working on it.

Bill

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=152636
Old 09-30-2003, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This all convinces me to leave the stock exhaust alone. I'm satisfied enough w. the stock sound and looks, and a fraction of a second here or there isn't important to me. At least it's a sporting sound; the '00 Vette I traded in on the S had pipes that were truly boring, even dorky. They were dual all the way from front to back, but sounded like Aunt Edna's single-pipe Buick.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:19 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Professor
This all convinces me to leave the stock exhaust alone.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:32 AM

Since we're touching on Vettes, how about some driving impressions, if you please?
See, I'm a Vette fan from way back, and even to this day have thoughts about owning one...holding me back are, in no particular order:
1) Money (purchase price, service costs)
2) My love of S2000 ownership
3) My mistrust of GM (owned a Saturn for 10 years, by which time the interior was falling apart)

My one test drive of a '99 6-speed convertible left me unsatisfied. The torque wasn't as neck-snapping as I hoped, the shifter was rubbery, and although the car was plenty fast, it didn't "feel" fast. Altogether too sedate. So Prof, what was it like owning a Vette?

And to stay on topic, I enjoy the stock exhaust. Next mod for me: CAI...or X brace...haven't decided which.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:16 PM

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Bill

That is a great write up. I enjoyed reading such a well written piece, but then, I come to expect that from you.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:39 PM

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

I went with the Comptech cat back and it was well worth the cost. I looks great and has a real nice sound. I debated getting a Borla (SVT has one) but the Comptech seemed the best way to go and did not seem to have some of the problems others found.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:43 PM

Helios-
I bought my C5 new in '00 back in the Midwest before I moved West. Two reasons: 1- No Honda dealer around, and 2- Didn't think I'd want a ragtop. Relocating to AZ changed both perimeters!

The C5, pro & con:
The Good- generally well-made, altho engine did blow at 1500mi., but Goodwrench fixed it w/o complaint. This is the best Vette ever, no doubt. (I had a '78 that was a POS.)
A great cruiser, covers highway miles like a jet plane, in quiet and comfort.
Torque on tap for strong passing moves.
The car is beautifully designed.

The Bad-
It's too big.
The motor is an obsolete OHV, two-valve design. If our Hondamotor was as inefficient, it would only be cranking out 121hp.
The shifter is terrible: long throw, rubbery, with the tranny in back.
The gearing is such that it feels like you're starting out in 2nd. So much for blistering, high-torque starts.(I had a 6-speed manual.)
The drivetrain makes a crappy sound on clutch engagement, like expensive parts are suffering. Normal, says the book.
The exhaust, as mentioned before, is, ah, "uninspiring".

I'm having MUCH more fun owning the S, and it isn't all that much slower a car, unless you are racing it.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard many exhausts other than stock and here are my thoughts
- I have a Borla on my CRX-Si and I love it
- My CRX-Si sounds better to me than my S because the exhaust note is a bit louder
- I want to put an exhaust on the S but I have yet to hear one that does not have a nasty resonance at 65 to 75 mph, as in highway speed
- I must have a dual exhaust
- I prefer an exhaust tip that is doubled walled and chrome so it will not blue
- I really could go for some weight reduction because I have added about 45 pounds to the car
Old 10-01-2003, 03:54 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm choosing the Mugen cat-back this spring after the tax refund. Just in time for the 04 Auto-X season
Old 10-01-2003, 04:15 PM

Thanks for the Vette ownership impressions, Prof!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket exhaust issues