S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

American Airlines

Old 07-24-2018, 12:15 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Unkie, I have taken Horizon Air flying for Alaska several times from Seattle to the Tri-cities where my Mom is. They have a HUGE problem getting pilots because of poor pay, and I have been delayed numerous times, as well as my sister flying the same route. And the bastards lie and blame mechanical issues. Well I have watched a plane sit for 2 hours out in the open, with a "mechanical" issue and nobody came near it. Then the crew appeared, passengers loaded and away it went.
Two notes:
1 have a picture of your luggage on your phone, helps when describing it to Lost & Found
2 if you ever rent a car at Barcelona (or likely many other places in the world) make sure you know exactly where the pickup point is. I reserved a car in Barcelona, to drive all the way across Spain and then up to France. The pickup point was ? I forget, call it Independence Plaza in Barcelona. I checked on the reservations the day before we needed the car (always a good thing to do) and they said there was none for that office. Turns out there was another Independence Plaza outside Barcelona, still referred to as Barcelona though. We had to pay a cab a fortune to get the 30 miles there, although still cheaper than cancelling and redoing the reservation.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:59 PM

Received 1,553 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris
2 if you ever rent a car at Barcelona (or likely many other places in the world) make sure you know exactly where the pickup point is. I reserved a car in Barcelona, to drive all the way across Spain and then up to France. The pickup point was ? I forget, call it Independence Plaza in Barcelona. I checked on the reservations the day before we needed the car (always a good thing to do) and they said there was none for that office. Turns out there was another Independence Plaza outside Barcelona, still referred to as Barcelona though. We had to pay a cab a fortune to get the 30 miles there, although still cheaper than cancelling and redoing the reservation.
Just my 2 cents on renting car in Europe. I have found over many years, from personal experience and that of others I fly with, that good old Hertz is pretty good. They may not be the least expensive but the hassle is non-existent. This includes any disputes on damage or fees. Keep your reservation confirmation and take photos of the car on pick up. I have them note "no damage" on return. I might add that the Gold Member status is terrific because you go straight to the car. Just last month (2 weeks rental out of Milan) I went with Avis because I wanted a specific car not available in the USA. (Hertz did not have it) Never again. What was I thinking? The checkout hassle went on for 1 hour and 20 minutes and the car I wanted that was specifically reserved was "not available". (4 other members of my family renting 4 other cars out of Roma also did not get the specified car)
I saw the nice big "Gold Member" board at the Hertz counter and realized I could have been on the road for over an hour.

In addition, check with your credit cards for insurance info. I have the Costco Visa which has a good coverage but my USAA Visa is superior. I decline all coverage and just pay for the car with the Visa.

Luggage: have 2 sturdy name tags on the piece. Have a sheet of paper with contact information on the inside, first layer. It goes without saying that I or anyone in my family will never, ever, ever, check a bag. We go with a carryon that will fit and one extra "purse" or under seat bag. If you are pushing the 40 lb limit, transfer the heavy stuff into the under seat bag. I have gone > a month with just a roller board.

If you want what the professionals have for luggage, a piece that will outlive you, check this site out. Make sure you get the stainless steel handle version.

https://luggageworks.com/?SID=fc2a26...ao69t6hmhe56l3
The following users liked this post:
poorshoeless (07-24-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 01:02 PM

Received 784 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris
I'll up you one... We went to Ireland a few years ago in late Sept/early Oct. Flew into Shannon, and home from Dublin. We spent 8 days driving the southern shore, the various rings, and then 2 days in Dublin. We only had a reservation the first night, in Clifden (more on this soon), plus the nights in Dublin. Everything else was find a B&B when we were done for the day or where we wanted to start the next day. No issues there.

We land at Shannon around 7 AM, and go immediately to the Cliffs of Moher. We leave there, driving up the coast towards Galway (where we believe Clifden is). We stop at the Doolin Caves, and take a nice scenic drive into town. We get to the center of Galway City and we can't find anything about our destination. The map shows Clifden as a little area of town as I interpret it. We finally give up and call. The innkeeper says ... "Oh, you're in Galway City. We're in Galway County. Find the N59 and head West about 80 kilometers. By this point, it was near dinner time, we've been up since the day before (I don't sleep on planes) and we've got a 50 mile drive on typical Irish roads to get to our destination.

Good news is that the innkeeper talked us out of going to the Aran Islands the next day and suggested we take the Sky Road north, then back along the lakes towards Galway and Ennis heading towards Dingle. Well worth that drive vs the islands.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:14 PM

Received 972 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
There is a good chance that we will be in Barcelona for about three days in December!
You won't want to come home. Just be careful of pickpockets in the touristy areas. There is a opentop tour bus that you can take. There are 3 main tour routes in Barcelona (Red, Yellow, Blue). The bus (from what I remember) was about 20 Euros and you can get on at any of the stops and switch among the 3 routes as much as you want Make sure you see the Gaudi architecture (Casa Basilico has been under construction for ever and may never be finished),it's everywhere, even the street lights were his design.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

AA is such a poorly run airline. I’m near the Scranton area and we’ve got a small airport with only 3 airlines where you’ll always have a transfer. Delta is the best but more expensive than American or United.

Last summer I was going to FL and had a later flight around 5PM getting me into MCO around midnight with a layover in Charlotte where the AA hub is. My mom even surprised me and was able to come for a few days on the same flights sitting together.

So we dropped the dog off at the kennel and made our 1 hr trip to the airport. On the way, my phone notified me that the plane was delayed by 30 mins so I figured no worries. Once we got to the check-in counter the rep said it was now cancelled and no flights were going into Charlotte due to storms. I was bummed but it’s not like I’d have a lot of time in FL the first night anyway. He said no worries I can get you on the first flight out of here at 5:30 tomorrow morning getting me into Orlando at roughly 9am. I took the new flight and instead of driving back home we stayed in a hotel nearby and I called the hotel to bump my date which they were more than happy to do.

The following morning is where the real drama ensues. We checked our bags and went through security but something didn’t look right to me at the gate. People were talking and looking confused. All of a sudden all these phones went off including mine saying our plane was delayed by 2 hours due to more weather issues. I couldn’t believe it because a Delta plane just left. They finally updated the screen and changed the time. The time was 6am and I would definitely be missing my layover. There was not a lot I could do and reps were not even available to book new connecting flights. 2 hours went by and there was no activity. The flight was then bumped another hour to roughly 9:30-10 am. It was then announced that the flight was then cancelled because ithe crew needed rest. What the heck have they been doing the last 4 hours? Meanwhile the plane is sitting there. Everyone scrambled at this point and no one could get through to customer support and it was going on 11 at this point. I was thinking should I just drive to philly? They made another announcement that they were trying to get a new crew to fly the plane. It wasn’t until roughly 1PM that we were finally on the plane.

So so we finally get into philly and even though I lost the entire morning, I was looking forward to finally getting on board and en route to Orlando. We were on the plane for what felt like forever and nothing was happening. All of a sudden the pilot came on board saying they needed a part and it was on the way but the plane needed to shut down so we wouldn’t have AC and rather than everyone getting off and on again they would bring some special machine over to pump AC into the cabin. The AC option failed and another 45 mins went by and men in mechanical uniforms came on board and it just didn’t look good at this point. After about 90 mins the pilot came on and said everyone needed to deplane to be more comfortable but to please leave our belongings as this was only a "short" delay.

So we got off the plane and charged our devices, used restrooms etc. and waited. A good hour went by and we had no updates except that "they were working on it." We then got an official announcement that the flight was now delayed for an additional 2 hours. It was now going on 5PM and I saw people wheeling carts near our gate. They were feeding us! It's never a good thing when they feed you. This is a 4 hour delay now on top of my earlier flight from Scranton that was delayed for 5 hours. A guy got on the loudspeaker as people were getting food and said the flight was now cancelled and there would be no flights to Orlando until tomorrow and people went nuts. I was in shock at this point and could not believe it. The guy also stated that everyone would be getting their money back and booked on new flights for tomorrow and to proceed to the customer service desk. I told my mom we need to get there quickly because 200 people will be going there too but she wanted to get back onto the plane and get her bag. We then had to spend 2 hours waiting in line while 3 reps from AA rebooked each customer. I got some special hotel voucher and was told to keep all receipts to get reimbursed. We stayed at their "recommended hotel"- which was a complete dump reeking of cigarette smoke and not updated since the 90s except for a flat screen tv.

Once we got to the hotel it was already 8PM. Our flight was leaving at 6AM the next morning but we were hungry and just got some burgers at their on-site restaurant. I once again had to call the hotel in Orlando and tell them I would not be staying that night.

The following morning we didn't have any delays and I finally got to Orlando 2 days late. I felt sorry for my mom because she was only planning on staying for 5 days so she already lost 2.

I sent American Airlines a lengthy email with all the details of our trip including flight numbers and receipts. They told me they would not be issuing any refunds but apologized and suggested I purchase trip insurance in the future. YUP..that's how they treat their customers. I plan on cutting up their credit card this year and sending them the copy of the letter but I don't expect a response.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:23 PM

Received 972 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
If you want what the professionals have for luggage, a piece that will outlive you, check this site out. Make sure you get the stainless steel handle version.

https://luggageworks.com/?SID=fc2a26...ao69t6hmhe56l3
I swear by Tumi. Not the stuff they're now having made in China but the luggage they still build in the US. It's expensive but I've carried it all over the world and it looks just like the day I bought it. I usually take only what might be considered a large overnight bag. I learned to pack after about the first month of travel. Takes me 15 minutes to pack and that's enough for at least 2 weeks. Most hotels have laundry service and if they don't, can tell you where to find a laundromat. I've met some great people in foreign country laundromats.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kgf3076
I swear by Tumi. Not the stuff they're now having made in China but the luggage they still build in the US. It's expensive but I've carried it all over the world and it looks just like the day I bought it. I usually take only what might be considered a large overnight bag. I learned to pack after about the first month of travel. Takes me 15 minutes to pack and that's enough for at least 2 weeks. Most hotels have laundry service and if they don't, can tell you where to find a laundromat. I've met some great people in foreign country laundromats.
Tumi or nothing for me.... It's THAT good.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:35 PM

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,107 Posts

Gary,

i understand the problems that weather causes the airlines, but that doesnt explain the delays and missed connections on Wednesday night, the terrible lack of customer support/relations, the nastiness of the counter clerks and the airlines not being prepared to handle these situations.

i'm not big on regulations but i do know that some are necessary. It seems to me that airlines were better and there were less problems before deregulation.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:49 PM

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,107 Posts

Originally Posted by Euro_Ricer

To say companies like this should go away is short sighted.... less competition means more control, less flight options and less reason to try harder.
I don't buy that. When airlines were deregulated we were all told that there would be more competition, but since dergulation airlines have merged and consolidated and there is less competition. Today the service is worse, airplanes are older and less comfortable and our airports are shabby. Before deregulation airlines competed on service not price. Today they only compete on price and most everything else is disrgarded.

if American Airlines were to disappear, and there was a need in the marketplace a more efficient carrier would appear to take its place. If you truly believe in competition and the free marketplace, you have to believe that.

i dont think deregulation of the airline industry was the panacea it was supposed to be. Next time you get on an airplane and your seat is so small that your knees are crammed into the seat in front of you think about deregulation.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:41 PM

Received 2,966 Likes on 1,651 Posts

I just landed at Denver. This rainbow says it all setting on Southwest.

Quick Reply: American Airlines