S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Another school shooting

Old 02-21-2018, 02:37 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
People realize any semi auto hunting rifle is equally as usable as an ar-15 for these things right?

Not really. A hunting style rifle may have a magazine, but it has a bolt which requires a pretty cumbersome step if you want to spray a classroom. But i'm not going to get into the semantic weeds with you. An AR15/10, AK47/74 etc are military guns without the full auto feature. A hunting rifle is a single bolt action shot with or without a low capacity magazine, by my definition if not THE definition. One has a place in a developed society, one does not. Semi auto feature along with high capacity is really what makes the logical distinction between an assault rifle over a hunting rifle. The styling/appearance of the gun is meaningless. However that would change based on if its a bolt action or not.

A 50BMG is technically a military gun as thats what it was developed for, however its gun platform shares the characteristics of a bolt action low capacity hunting rifle. So logically it would not be an effective assault rifle like an AR for quick mass shooting situation. The point being, we need educated common sense ideas and action to navigate what should be acceptable for purchase by the common citizen, not by people or companies with a personal or financial interest in gun legislation one way or another.

I think we just have far too many military style guns in circulation these days, way to easy to get a hold of, and getting them out of mass circulation may not be the sol solution but simply by Murphy's law that would have to reduce the number of mass shootings over time. So why not implement no more future sales? Done with them. We have enough in circulation to last multiple generations. The government could create a money back incentive to turn them in, but not mandate it. So it would be "optional" to keep everyone from freaking out. Whats wrong with that?

Last edited by s2000Junky; 02-21-2018 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:01 PM
Community Organizer

Fellow gun enthusiast.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:12 PM

Received 4,951 Likes on 3,003 Posts

Engifineer, when I grew up . . .
1. Kids most definitely did not rule; just the opposite.
2. Losing a game was a good lesson and was taken for granted.
3. There was no social media, just the boy scouts and the YMCA.
4. It was rare for me to use the telephone; I walked to my girl/boy friend’s houses.
5. Drugs amounted to aspirin, and the like.
6. Games of violence were limited to pin ball machines with violent artwork and playing war with our imagination.
7. I worked after school from 10th grade on and put $ in the bank every pay. I saved for years and paid cash for my first car.

That was 60-years ago and simpler times.

I don’t disagree with any of your suggestions including reforming the way we handle kids with real mental issues. It is too bad we cannot turn back the clock but it will never happen. Somehow, we have to find better solutions but with so many single parents, poor paying jobs, school teachers having their hands tied, technology driving into every aspect of our lives - things get more complicated; not simpler. I sure don't know the answer with today's rush to break down traditional values.

Last edited by dlq04; 02-21-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:58 PM

Received 158 Likes on 143 Posts

How about we take care of the problem....

Help out those that have mental health issues?

I'll be just like every elected official and make up a percentage, so I'll say 95% of these shootings are done by someone who has been diagnosed, or reported to have a mental illness.

You can ban the guns, make the background checks tighter, raise the age to purchase, etc....

But someone who wants to do evil will find a way to do it... gun, car, truck, anthrax, taint goods in stores, etc.

Someone please figure out how to take care of these people who need help!!
Old 02-21-2018, 05:28 PM

Received 3,514 Likes on 2,378 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky

A 50BMG is technically a military gun as thats what it was developed for, however its gun platform shares the characteristics of a bolt action low capacity hunting rifle. So logically it would not be an effective assault rifle like an AR for quick mass shooting situation. The point being, we need educated common sense ideas and action to navigate what should be acceptable for purchase by the common citizen, not by people or companies with a personal or financial interest in gun legislation one way or another.
For about 11 to 13 thousand dollars you and I can legally go buy an Barrett M107a. https://barrett.net/firearms/m107a1/
semi auto, 10 round magazine.long range sight and ranging computer.
Safety distanceBullets fired from this rifle may travel as far as 5 miles. Make certain that you have an adequate backstop.
With an effective range of approximately 2,000 yards ( about a mile and a half) in full semi auto mode you can literally have 5 rounds in the air before the first one hits.
The bolt is only required to load the first round into the chamber.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:59 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by boltonblue
For about 11 to 13 thousand dollars you and I can legally go buy an Barrett M107a. https://barrett.net/firearms/m107a1/
semi auto, 10 round magazine.long range sight and ranging computer.
Safety distanceBullets fired from this rifle may travel as far as 5 miles. Make certain that you have an adequate backstop.

With an effective range of approximately 2,000 yards ( about a mile and a half) in full semi auto mode you can literally have 5 rounds in the air before the first one hits.
The bolt is only required to load the first round into the chamber.
All true, its an impressive and expensive sniper rifle, one that takes a highly skilled person to be effective with one, which is very different then a common $800-$1500 assault rifle depending on caliber, which is whats used in quick mass killings. A Barrett 50 cal or the like is not an effective assault rifle. I'm trying to pick the low hanging fruit here first and foremost when it comes to the gun regulation aspect to this problem.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 02-21-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:07 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000
How about we take care of the problem....

Help out those that have mental health issues?

I'll be just like every elected official and make up a percentage, so I'll say 95% of these shootings are done by someone who has been diagnosed, or reported to have a mental illness.

You can ban the guns, make the background checks tighter, raise the age to purchase, etc....

But someone who wants to do evil will find a way to do it... gun, car, truck, anthrax, taint goods in stores, etc.

Someone please figure out how to take care of these people who need help!!
It all makes a difference, which is the bottom line. Cutting down on the amount of deaths in a single encounter matters to those who have been directly effected, so the rest of us should empathize with that. One aspect of gun control, does not exclude the other measures and vice versa. Thanks for your opinion.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:12 PM

Received 158 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
It all makes a difference, which is the bottom line. Cutting down on the amount of deaths in a single encounter matters to those who have been directly effected, so the rest of us should empathize with that. One aspect of gun control, does not exclude the other measures and vice versa. Thanks for your opinion.
So, take away the rights of others, because we can't figure out a way to help out those who need the help?

Great.... whats next? Take away trucks cause they can be used as weapons to kill lots of people, take away Home Depot rentals, cause someONE drives them on a bike path.

Take care of the problem, mental health, and leave the rest of us with our rights!
Old 02-21-2018, 06:20 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000
So, take away the rights of others, because we can't figure out a way to help out those who need the help?

Great.... whats next? Take away trucks cause they can be used as weapons to kill lots of people, take away Home Depot rentals, cause someONE drives them on a bike path.

Take care of the problem, mental health, and leave the rest of us with our rights!
Excuse me, where in the second amendment does it say you have the right to own a AR/military platform rifle with a 30 round mag? This platform hasn't always been available to purchase, its only been since the Bush administration to present that it been legal to own. Is your feeling of entitlement worth more then someone else life? A truck serves a purpose other then killing people, an assault rifle only has one job.

And again, i'm all for taking care of mental illness in this country, but that is only one aspect to address the problem.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 02-21-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:55 PM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

^^^ ^^^

“Hey, just post away in Politics if you can't resist saying what you legitimately think about the politics of the topic - (including neo-interpretations of the 2nd Ammendment). There ain't no reason to push the limits to circumvent the guidelines in Main Threads.”

Quick Reply: Another school shooting