S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Any bourbon drinkers here?

Old 01-02-2018, 01:08 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Hmm. Gene and Emil are so eager to see d___k pictures that they went a very long way to "misinterpret" my post. Maybe you guys should just send pictures to each other??
I’ll let Gene,answer this one... Gene,your turn...
Old 01-02-2018, 02:15 PM

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
Unkie I've been drinking Macallan since 1981, or a long time you just couldn't find it anywhere.
Around 2000 it became plentiful and then in the last 5-10 yeas has gotten priced out of the market.
please send a link about the marketing.
Well. . . as was stated to us repeatedly on Islay, in the early '80s, everybody (except you) went to clear spirits. Many distilleries shuttered (Port Ellen and Bruichladdich as were the Islay examples) or were acquired.
. . . and then the brown booze sales picked up in the 90s between Bourbon and Scotch, with the Chinese middle and new upper class leading the buying. . . and Macallan struck:
https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/artic...on-tough/67715
And as far as the "tip," it starts in this video at 36 seconds:
Old 01-02-2018, 08:31 PM

Received 4,932 Likes on 2,992 Posts

I have to laugh, I was at relatively new bar in town - a 'smokehouse' that also billed themselves as having 29 bourbons - this past Friday. They handed out this really large bourbon menu that describes in table form all these bourbons -- one box on how they look, another on how they smell, another on how they taste, and whatever. So much BS there I honestly laughed out loud. So, after reading down the list which was decent, they had an option of getting three 4 ounce samplers -- based on a price per bourbon shown. The cheapest would be three $3 samples or $9. Or you could toss in one $5 sample for $11. Nice touch to sample new stuff with individual samples going up to $6 or $7 each. I wasn't in the sampling mood, so I ordered a Bulleit and they didn't have it!! Said they were out. I said the heck with it and ordered a CEO stout from a local brewery.

BTW, I did watch a video from the boys above and got a kick out of it. Especially as they came up with their BS about how they thought each one tasted.

If you don't want to spend the time watching them get buzzed and describing each, here's their list:
Monkey Shoulder,
Highland Park 12,
Glenfiddich 12,
Jameson,
Bulleit Rye,
Elijah Craig Small Batch,
Buffalo Trace,
Macallan 12,
Four Roses Single Barrel,
CaolIla 12,
and finally Japan's Hibiki Harmony.

Last edited by dlq04; 01-03-2018 at 06:43 AM.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:13 PM

"BS" or not, I've gotten some superb recommendations. . . and their beginning whisk(e)y recommendations were way better than anything I would have thought of on first pass; my recommendations for years were the equivalent of driving off a pier to see if you enjoy swimming.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:18 AM

Received 151 Likes on 136 Posts

Always chuckle how these types of reviewers pick out different flavors in different bottles. Their descriptions crack me up.

Yes, I get some different flavors, but I doubt my descriptions would be close to theirs.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:56 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Since nobody seems to care about it, I'll take that bottle of Stagg off the OP's top shelf.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:01 PM

Received 697 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
I was going to suggest Bulleit since I did not see it on the shelf. My old standby is Jim Beam white label. In fact, I am at my son-in-law‘s and have a choice of drinking Jim Beam white label versus Woodford reserve ......... which I probably will be drinking next since I have just about killed 1/2 gallon of JB this week at his house. I have tried lots of high end brands but always come back to JB. JB Black is good too. Never cared for Makers Mark much but beats water.
Not a big bourbon drinker but when I do indulge I like JB. I drank a lot of Jack Daniels in the Navy. I do like Gin, Tanqueray or Bombay.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:35 PM

Received 151 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by V3rtigo
Since nobody seems to care about it, I'll take that bottle of Stagg off the OP's top shelf.
Already 1/2 gone..... so is 1/3rd of the Stagg Jr..

So is 1/2 of the Pappy's....

Been together with family over the holidays!
Old 02-02-2018, 04:53 PM

Picked up a bottle of Black Bottle per our "research" in Scotland. If your area has it (none of our big stores had it, we found it in a random liquor store on Nob Hill, SF), it's another good "bottom shelf" blended Scotch. Easy going, approachable, but doesn't have any "cheap heat" or anything out of whack. Scotch and sodas, or first-time sippin', it's good.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:20 PM

Received 973 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Glenfiddich 12,
Jameson,
Bulleit Rye,
Elijah Craig Small Batch,
Buffalo Trace,
Macallan 12,
Four Roses Single Barrel,
CaolIla 12,and finally Japan's Hibiki Harmony.
Glenfiddich 12 - Way too young. The 25 is good, the 30 year old is excellent (and no, I'm not bringing it to share)
Jameson - Depends.
Bulleit Rye - Good, very smooth and easy to drink
Elijah Craig Small Batch - This.
Buffalo Trace - See above.
Macallan - If you can't afford real Scotch (if it's not even a teenager, it's iffy at best), this is okay.
Four Roses Single Barrel - Excellent old-timer cleaned up and brought back to it's former glory.
Japan's Hibiki Harmony. - Have a bottle sitting in my liquor cabinet. Very smooth for a blend, very drinkable.

All opinions are mine, your mileage may vary, close cover before striking and, last but not least, everybody knows what opinions are like...

Last edited by kgf3076; 02-02-2018 at 05:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Any bourbon drinkers here?