S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Any experience with counterfeit detectors?

Old 11-01-2018, 07:46 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Any experience with counterfeit detectors?

I see that Staples and others sell a reasonably priced pen/light counterfeit bill detection device. Do any you have any experience with such devices and how well they work. No need to do google searches for me or give me a lecture on the light being better than the pen. I already did those searches for myself. I'm looking for first hand experience from people I know. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:04 AM

Received 3,498 Likes on 2,365 Posts

on a somewhat related note;
Bill, did you know that they do all of the development for counterfeit protection at Natick Labs?
There is a lot of stuff done that is never published.
Only gvmt' investigators have it.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:19 AM

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Hmmm are you dealing in cash only these days?

They use those things at the supermarket and other stores. I would think they work pretty well.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:57 AM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts

Hi Bill

I don't come in here often but I have some experience with counterfeits. We have caught few $20's We had the local police dept come in and instruct us. Our cameras caught them and they were picked up down the street in a local bar.
We have quit using the pens. Instead they told us to feel the bill. If you run your fingernail up and down over the right lapel you will feel ridges if it's real no ridges if it's not.
It's a discreet way of doing it and they said it's being taught to a lot of waitresses and bartenders.
fltsfshr
Old 11-02-2018, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by fltsfshr
Hi Bill

I don't come in here often but I have some experience with counterfeits. We have caught few $20's We had the local police dept come in and instruct us. Our cameras caught them and they were picked up down the street in a local bar.
We have quit using the pens. Instead they told us to feel the bill. If you run your fingernail up and down over the right lapel you will feel ridges if it's real no ridges if it's not.
It's a discreet way of doing it and they said it's being taught to a lot of waitresses and bartenders.
fltsfshr

Grant!! How the hell are you??
Old 11-02-2018, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by fltsfshr
Hi Bill

fltsfshr
I feel the ridges on both lapels.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey
Hmmm are you dealing in cash only these days?

They use those things at the supermarket and other stores. I would think they work pretty well.

Well, kinda. Someone is coming down to Falmouth to buy one of my boats and wants to take it away the same time as he buys it. That's fine, but I'm not taking a check and letting the boat go, until it clears. He said "I'll bring cash!"
Old 11-02-2018, 10:24 AM

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Well, kinda. Someone is coming down to Falmouth to buy one of my boats and wants to take it away the same time as he buys it. That's fine, but I'm not taking a check and letting the boat go, until it clears. He said "I'll bring cash!"
Certified check!
Old 11-02-2018, 10:29 AM

Received 1,129 Likes on 992 Posts

Lapel? Where's that?

-- Chuck
Old 11-02-2018, 11:05 AM

Received 1,189 Likes on 923 Posts

Inerested in this lapel thing too! My father has lost money a few times due to counterfeit bills being given to him for work at his shop.

Quick Reply: Any experience with counterfeit detectors?