S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Any iMAC users?

Old 12-16-2007, 01:20 PM

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=Wildncrazy,Dec 15 2007, 04:23 PM]I have had Macs since 1984. I also have had to have some PCs.

YOU WILL LOVE THE iMac!! Finally you will just be able to use your computer and not have to buy all those other little programs to protect it and make it run right.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:35 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I purchased a Macbook in October after being a PC user my whole life. I will not go back for a while.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started on PC's in early 90's and bought my first Mac in 99. Always liked the Mac better but they where too expensive at the time.

My wife needed Windows compatibility for some plugins she wanted in PS which apparently where only available for Windows.

So we were thinking of getting a cheap PC for her work. Since my 17" powerbook is getting old I opted to go with a 20" iMac. Which I'm glad we did.

It's basically 2 machines in 1. She runs here PC software in XP through Bootcamp and I transferred all my files and apps using the Migration Assistant and booting my powerbook as a firewire drive. Worked well except for a few apps I have to re-install.

The screen is gorgeous and makes my Powerbook screen look crappy.

Get the iMac you will be happy.

BTW: I forgot how annoying windows can be, it took about 4 minutes to get the mac running and 3 hours to install Windows. Part of it was my fault because of the stupid message telling me to "press any key to reboot from the CD". Why have this screen come up when you the next step is to boot from the HD?

Old 12-17-2007, 08:43 AM

I used PCs for more than a dozen years before switching in 2004. Won't ever go back. I have to have a PC to test out web sites that I build but I refuse to use it for anything other than that.

I have a PowerBook 15" laptop which never leaves my side (OK except on the track) and has my ENTIRE life on it.

All the office applications cross over to Mac seamlessly, SO much easier to use a Mac. I bought my mom a PC in 1998 and then bought her a Mac last year. After 2 days with the new Mac she asked me why I had not bought her one in the first place because it was so much easier than the PC she had.

I can't say enough good stuff about the Mac - music, picture management, video management, image quality, applications working, no blue screens! There IS a Mac equivalent of "control alt delete" however it is SOOOO rare that you have to use it that I have it written down and have to look it up when I need to. I almost never reboot except for very large system upgrades for new software and very rarely my computer and printer stop talking until both are restarted.

Highly recommend making the switch!
Old 12-17-2007, 08:11 PM

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,107 Posts

If you use specialized software, or or need to exchange files with clients consider not buying a mac.

Most of the specialized software is written for PCs, and even some of the vendors who write for the mac, don't pay as much attention to their mac software as they do to their PC software. Even though its all supposed to run, and everyone claims compatibility, I've had some pretty miserable experiences. I could never use a mac in my practice.

Macs are very stylish and from what I've been told, very well made. Their graphics are outstanding and I understand that they are very easy to use, but if compatibility, specialized software or sharing files is an issue, be very careful.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:43 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I just bought a low-cost Windows lap top for myself. If I bought Barbara a Mac would they network together?
Old 12-18-2007, 06:53 AM

[QUOTE=Legal Bill,Dec 18 2007, 11:43 AM] I just bought a low-cost Windows lap top for myself.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper,Dec 17 2007, 11:11 PM
If you use specialized software, or or need to exchange files with clients consider not buying a mac.

Most of the specialized software is written for PCs, and even some of the vendors who write for the mac, don't pay as much attention to their mac software as they do to their PC software.
If you use CUSTOM software I'd have to agree, BUT if you use any kind of normal type of software you will find the Mac opens it and usually can manipulate it. Mac has always been PC friendly whereas the PC hasn't even been friendly to other PCs.

Keep in mind that if you have the Mac you can run Windoze. With Leopard you can boot either in the Mac or PC mode and for $89 you can get software that lets you run both at the same time. So Ralper you could use a Mac in your practice.

There simply is no downside to getting a Mac.

As far as replacing the computer to upgrade . . . . that's probably the easiest and cheapest way no matter what platform you use. When it comes time to replace the CPU there are just too many calls that are different, bus speeds, etc., etc.c that you are never really happy with a CPU upgrade.

If you mean hard drives, etc., then they are just as replaceable as a PC. I've done it dozens of times. I have even upgraded processors (in both) hence my comments on not really being satisfied.