S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Any one else interested in owning a Civic R?

Old 07-19-2017, 07:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Conedodger
  • Too boy racer for me
  • No interest in a 4 door
  • I prefer my fun cars to be RWD

I agree with these parts. After I bought my '17 Accord, Mrs. GM3 liked the Civic hatch. One showed up in her color and with some special stuff that clicked for her so we bought it. Nice car, but I prefer my Accord for an every day car. I could see how the Type R might be fun on a track, but autoXing it doesn't appeal to me. My guess would be there would be significant on-throttle understeer during corner exit and that frustrates me. Progressive oversteer is much easier to handle on an autoX course for me.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:49 PM

Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

I have unused miles on American Airlines miles from when I used to travel for business. I kept them from expiring by tying them into my Hilton Honors Points program that keeps them alive. So if I get serious about acquiring a Civic Type R I may send out E-mails to Honda dealers in parts of the country, such as the mid-west like dealers in Nebraska, etc. Where people may not have much interest in the car. So, if I send out an E-mail and CC several Honda dealers perhaps I could find one that wants to sell the car at a reasonable price. I could fly to where ever that is and then drive it home.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:53 AM

Received 151 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
You know... maybe a used, low mileage one. In a couple of years. Wonder if the new sporty ones will be as reliable, as the old sporty ones?
My understanding is that Honda actually de-tuned the engine some so that they could make sure the engine holds up.

Tuners are already getting 50-70 hp more out of the engine, with very little work.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:34 AM
tof

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,306 Posts

I doubt I will never own the Type R but I'm happy that it exists.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:45 AM

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,107 Posts

Originally Posted by tof
I feel exactly the same way.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:46 AM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by tof
^I'm in this boat. I'm glad that Honda brought a performance car back into their lineup but it doesn't fit my needs so I wouldn't get one. Also, where I live, the three Honda dealerships all around me have gotten Type-Rs and sold them at MSRP. No markup. The one I use regularly is getting another one soon and they are doing a lottery. Put your name in, and if you get selected, you get to purchase at MSRP. Same with the one they had before.

Markup on cars to me is ridiculous and just taints the dealership experience in my opinion. I want a dealership that I can build a relationship at, not a place that I'll resent.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:24 PM
tof

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Originally Posted by Mocky
Markup on cars to me is ridiculous and just taints the dealership experience in my opinion. I want a dealership that I can build a relationship at, not a place that I'll resent.
I like your optimism but seems like the turnover at the dealership happens way more frequently than my purchases. Now the parts guys I've kind of gotten to know over the years.

But for me, saying something taints the dealership experience is like saying that eating garlic taints the smell of your poo.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:07 PM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

Originally Posted by tof
But for me, saying something taints the dealership experience is like saying that eating garlic taints the smell of your poo.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Things I do not like about the '17 Civic:
1. Having to press a button to change the screen to be able to change the fan speed on the HVAC.

2. No Driver's Memory for the Driver's seat.

3. Throttle pick up with the CVT, but the Type R won't have this issue.

the wife loves it other than the Driver's Memory issue. She still smiles and a little giggle when talking about it.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:47 PM

Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

FWIIW: On a whim. I got on the USPS.com web site and looked up the zip code for Omaha, NB. Then I got on Edmunds.com and asked for a quote from a dealer in that zip code. Edmunds sent me an E-mail with a certificate for a guaranteed price for a Civic Type R for $1 below MSRP. Within minutes that was followed up by E-mails from their Internet person and a call from a sales person that I let to go to voice mail.

I now have some thinking to do.

Quick Reply: Any one else interested in owning a Civic R?