S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Any vinyl listener?

Old 01-03-2010, 08:58 AM

Received 4,929 Likes on 2,989 Posts

I had a very large 45 and 33-1/3 collection at one time. Didn’t we all? At least those who danced through the 50s and 60s. Sometime in the mid-70s I tired of hauling the LP’s around and selected the two dozen I really liked and sold the rest as a group. I still have those remaining LP’s. The last I checked the one’s that were the most valuable were by the Flamingo’s. As I recall I have three, along with Elvis, doo-hop groups, etc.

As for the 45s, I sold all of them in the late 80s as a group but not before recording all the songs I liked to 8-track. I ended up with at least five full 8 tracks even though I only did a snippet of many songs.

A few years ago I bought an Ion conversion turntable for $150 which converts records to CD. There was two software’s that came with it, one easy and one like you were in a sound studio. The easy one worked well except it picked up every flaw, scratch, etc. on the record. There was a time when we were all used to hearing flaws but no more. The other software could remove the flaws if you had an engineering degree mentality to spend a week shooting for perfection. I didn’t. The Ion sits on the shelf but I can play my records through the pc speakers if I wish, since I also sold my turntable a few years back.

My wife still has her 45 collection from the late 60s and 70s. Her’s are mint, still in mint condition individual covers, etc. and stored in 45 storeage boxes from that period. I planned to sell her collection but lost my local source and haven’t looked else where. I always wished we had a basement bar to display the covers since they are perfect but we don’t and won’t.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have about 600 LPs, mostly classical. There are many works on those that I have not duplicated on CDs. I also have at least 600 CDs.

It's much easier to put on a CD, so I don't play the LPs that often, only when I want to hear a particular piece of music.

I have copied quite a few LPs to CD so I can listen to them in the car.

All my LPs are in excellent shape. I've always kept them clean and used top of the line cartridges. For the last 25 years I've used a Denon microprocessor controlled turntable.

I must admit that now that I can listen to internet radio stations on my music system I don't play either the LPs or CDs nearly that often.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:02 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I've got bad news for SOME of you collectors. Unless you have kept your LPs in extremely good condition (clean cover, dust jacket, no writing of any kind), you probably have a "no sale" for most things after 1960. For stuff from the 50s and earlier, there MIGHT be a market.

Here's the reason for my opinion: I have about 150 LPs for which I would like to find a home. Via local CraigsList, I was excited that a collector had a weekly posting to inspect LP collections for possible purchase. He came by in mid-December and found NOTHING worth making an offer Not my Rolling Stones psychadelic almbum....not my Beatles numbered "white album"....nor any of my RCA classical mono albums from my Aunt's 1950s collection.

Sidebar: Apparently, TRUE audiophiles find the original LP records provide the truest and best reproduction of the original music. At least, that's what my non-buying collector told me....

Maybe some of the items of Herman or dlq04 would garner some collector interest. Most of the rest of us are just not sufficiently I'm probably going to keep a couple dozen of mine and donate the rest to a local Thrift Shop; I understand they put 'em on a 50 cent table and hope for the best....

Btw, if you don't believe me, go on Ebay and search for LP records. You'll find lots being offered and few items attracting any bids at all
Old 01-04-2010, 02:37 AM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,565 Posts

^ I probably will be doing the same with mine. Just need to go through the 33s and see which ones I want to keep. Definitely keeping all the 45s.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Starbrd,Jan 3 2010, 04:21 PM
I have about 600 LPs, mostly classical.
Star, do you have anything by Van Cliburn?
Old 01-04-2010, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Grannyrod,Jan 4 2010, 08:58 AM
Star, do you have anything by Van Cliburn?
No, I never considered him a great musician.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Starbrd,Jan 4 2010, 12:55 PM
No, I never considered him a great musician.
That's surprising. His playing touches me. Granted, I haven't studied him in depth, just like his style. Who's your favorite classical pianist? Do you play an instrument? If so, which one?
Old 01-07-2010, 07:30 AM

I still have a Denon turntable and a good cartridge and up until I decided to digitize my LP's would play vinyl every once in awhile. With my setup, a CD just does not capture the warmth of some of the vinyl recordings I have. In the 60's, 70's and early 80's there were some really high quality recordings made on vinyl.

Now that I am digitizing my lp's, I have moved the turntable to the office where the computer is.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:50 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

After trying a yard sale, Craigs List and local thrift shops (yesterday) for a new home for my ~150 LP's, I have started to stick 20-25 in the trash each week. I have saved out about 25 in the R&R and Classical categories.

It makes me sad to do it, but Kathy has said: "They gotta go"
Old 01-07-2010, 07:53 AM

Received 1,402 Likes on 763 Posts

^^^Goodwill won't accept them? I thought they take everything except items with safety issues.

Quick Reply: Any vinyl listener?