S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Any of you guys replaced your windsheilds?

Old 10-01-2003, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any of you guys replaced your windsheilds?

I'm just looking to get as much info. on this as possible. I'm having it done soon through insurance. Is there anything to look out for. Any help would be great!!

Greg
Old 10-01-2003, 04:47 PM

Received 1,412 Likes on 766 Posts

Originally posted by GregC21
I'm just looking to get as much info. on this as possible. I'm having it done soon through insurance. Is there anything to look out for. Any help would be great!!

Greg
Greg,

I had the unfortunate experience of having to do this after owning the car for only 2 weeks!! A truck threw a stone right at my face. Lucky for me the windshield was there to absorb the blow. However, not so good news for the windshield.

I had it replaced (in the parking lot at work) by Safelite (my insurance co. recommended them) They did an excellent job and you can't tell it from the original. No leaks, no issues. The replacement even had the mirror mount already attached.

A reputable glass company, who is experienced in windshield replacement, should do just as good.

Good luck!!
Old 10-01-2003, 04:50 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I haven't although my windshield is starting to get pitted. I have read in the past that many, many people have complained about this.

You might want to post this same question in S2000 Talk. There is more "traffic" there and a better chance of getting more answers and opinions.

You also might want to try doing a search. I know this has been addressed in the past and there is lots of good information available.
Old 10-03-2003, 05:53 AM

Why do our windsheilds catch so many rocks and bugs? Mine started getting pummeled immediately. I have to take a bottle of windex and papertowels everywhere. I guess it's because of the proximity of the windsheild. Lower? Too fast? I have pits in my windsheild and won't replace it until I get a good one but it does bother me. I've never experienced this before on any other of my vehicles. Now I stay way back from traffic. Especially trucks. Bought a bra for my front end because of the same. I don't like the way it looks but while on the Sac 2 days drive, the bra really saved my front end.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:44 AM

I was getting a window ding filled on my Jeep, the other guy in at the same time had a PT cruiser and they were fairly new at the time. We got to talking about the cruiser and he told me he it was the trucking company's that he worked for. Then he said some guy had filed an claim against one of their trucks for a rock into the windshield but there was no way they were paying for it. He went on to say, "Why, if we had to pay for all the windshields our trucks damaged . . ." Then it apparently dawned on him what he was saying because he trailed off and didn't finish.

The Jeep Wrangler I drive has a flat windshield, there is no stone deflected from it, it takes it square on. Get your dings filled right away if it is a starred ding. Many insurance companies will pay for this, no deductible. I avoid getting a windshield replaced if at all possible. So far it's been about a 50/50 success rate on my Jeep.

Only one stone into the s2k so far, (1 month), left a small chip but no cracks.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:10 PM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Had to have mine replaced in the spring of 03 after getting dinged with a rock. Local glass shop replaced it with PPG glass, so far seems to fare better than OEM glass against small pitting, was covered by insurance.
Old 10-03-2003, 02:53 PM

I did a search, and it sounds like lots of people are going with the PPG aftermarket windsheilds. How hard is it to get them to use this brand? I plan on demanding either the PPG or the OEM. Thanks for all the help.

Greg
Old 10-03-2003, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smokee, can you share more info/experience about the filling/fixing process?

I took a big rock to the window within about 2 weeks of owning the car. It hit just above the hood, it is so low that when I look out the window the spot is visible between me and the hood, not up so it would be between me and the sky.

I really do not want to get rid of the OEM glass yet, I had a bad experience with a bad installation on another car a while ago and I'm just gun shy. The water dripping on your legs during a downpour gets old quick, especially when all the electronics in the car start to get funky...
Old 10-03-2003, 06:42 PM

These are the guys I go to.

Novus

It's simple, they drill a tiny hole, then squirt the ding full of goo and dry it with an ultraviolet light. After fixing, some dings are almost invisible, some I see when the light hits it right, and some are still visible all the time but much improved. Getting it fixed as soon as it happens keeps the dirt from getting in too. Mainly it keeps a crack from forming in the windshield. My insurance company waives my deductible for this procedure.

Beware there are lots of fly-by-night guys trying this business. I tried one, never again. I swear the guy showed up in his pajamas. You might check with your insurance for recommendations. I think my Jeep windshield has four or five of these "patches" right now.
Old 10-04-2003, 05:56 AM

Received 4,950 Likes on 3,002 Posts

As many have found out, the very low nose of the car combined with it's more upright than most windshield makes the windshield a target for pitting and breakage. For that reason, I would recommend anyone driving an S2000 set up their insurance policy to cover the windshield replacement with a zero deductable.

I had to replace mine in the first 750 miles. I did a lot of investigating before having it done. At the time there was a lot of hype that aftermarket windows might be a better choice but that's unfounded. In fact, your best bet is to stay with a Honda windshield. Every quality installer I talked to agreed that was the best route. The cost was about $750, as I recall.

To select an installer, I posted a thread asking for recommendations by people who already had it done (in my state) and that were satisfied. From that response I choose one that was highly recommended and they a wonderful job on mine. I had to drive an hour to get there and spent 1/2 day there but for me it was worth it to have an quality experienced shop do it right. I've put 15k on the car since and no problems.

Quick Reply: Any of you guys replaced your windsheilds?