S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Anyone done their taxes, yet?

Old 03-05-2019, 04:05 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by ssbfgc

Aren’t you a tax professional? If so, your data isn’t a good representation. The new legislation favors lower earners i.e. not the ones paying your $150+ hourly rate. Yes, many of YOUR clients will be adversely impacted.

It’s just getting old seeing headlines about refunds being down, but people don’t understand the difference between a refund and tax liability.
I don't know. I've been a CPA for the better part of the last 25 years in a mostly tax driven environment. This is the first time I've ever been told that my data isn't a good representation.

As a matter of fact, my clients represent a cross-section of all incomes from those just getting by to some who are enviable wealthy, and mostly those in the middle. Some are benefitting from the new tax code, most are not.

I stand by my data.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Morris
Yeah, I'm a retired CPA. I know the lingo.
K-1s come from estates, trusts, partnerships and S-corporations, although that last one might have a different number. (Memory getting rusty) The underlying returns can be extended, which would mean you wouldn't get your K-1 until after April 15th, but most accountants hate to do that because they will then get nasty phone calls from all the recipients. I hope all of yours come soon.
Actually, two years ago the deadlines were changed. All entities, except trusts, that give off K-1s now have to file by March 15 (or extend). C Corporations which don't give off K-1 now have to file by April 15. Except for S Corporations, it use to be the other way around. This was done so that the individual taxpayer would have his/her K-1 in time to file the 1040 on time. Today with the dramatic increase of LLCs and people owning positions in Partnerships this became a very big issue.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:32 PM

Received 2,988 Likes on 1,662 Posts

Originally Posted by buckeyesue
In some cases, I think the K-1 can also be related to income from partnerships.
Yes, partnerships in my case.

Last edited by Kyras; 03-05-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:47 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Rob, I was aware of the change in due dates. What I was trying to say was that if the partnership (or trust etc) return were extended, then the K-1 would likely come after April 15th, no matter when the due date was. And extensions are easy to get, automatic even, unless they have changed that.

ssbfgc, I think you have it backwards. The tax legislation favors the wealthy, which you seem to think that all Rob's clients are. In that case his clients would be happy. The people on the bottom of the scale also benefit, but they are in a group that would not see a CPA. But like Rob, many of my clients are (were) middle class, and self employed. And mine had state taxes that now have limits. My clients (if I still were working) would be in the same boat I am, the boat floating on the ocean of more taxes, not less.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:51 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
Yes, partnership in my case.

Mine too.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:55 PM

No, Bill, I meant what I said. The federal income tax I paid for 2018, (the figure "this is your income tax on the return") was 3.6 times as much as the prior year. Having said that, my tax for either year was not a huge number, as I am retired and have a lot of non-taxable income (municipal bonds), but the point I was making is that my tax went up even though my total income went down. Mainly due to a loss of deductions that were disallowed by the new tax law.
I'm surprised that you pay so little but still itemize, but whatever.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:56 PM

Rob, I was aware of the change in due dates. What I was trying to say was that if the partnership (or trust etc) return were extended, then the K-1 would likely come after April 15th, no matter when the due date was. And extensions are easy to get, automatic even, unless they have changed that.

ssbfgc, I think you have it backwards. The tax legislation favors the wealthy, which you seem to think that all Rob's clients are. In that case his clients would be happy. The people on the bottom of the scale also benefit, but they are in a group that would not see a CPA. But like Rob, many of my clients are (were) middle class, and self employed. And mine had state taxes that now have limits. My clients (if I still were working) would be in the same boat I am, the boat floating on the ocean of more taxes, not less.
My K1s often arrive after March 15. But they always arrive in time to file on April 15.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:16 PM

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Clearly there is a gap here. Did I say Rob’s clients were rich? Most likely upper middle class. You have to earn some amount of money to have high itemized deductions that are now limited under the new legislation. After all, it does take income to have high state income taxes, property taxes, etc. People with lesser means don’t have these large expenses. Overall the new tax legislation IS favorable for more people than not. It’s a fact. You can’t apply your facts and those around you as what’s going on on a broader level. There are A LOT more people with less and maybe more who do benefit from this. I’m done here and don’t have the energy to pull together the data.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:51 PM

Probably the worst, least timely K-1s are those involved in Oil and Gas partnerships. For some reason they always seem to come in August.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:59 PM

Dean,

I knew you knew about the changed dates, I just thought I'd mention it.

Your clients were probably very much the same as mine are, and probably very much the same as most of us CPAs have. A few are fabulously wealthy, a few can't make ends meet, but most are scattered through the middle. I tend to agree with you. I too think that the tax code favors the wealthy and those at the bottom. As usual, those in the middle pay the price.

Do you miss tax season? If I'm not mistaken this is the first tax season of your retirement. Don't you miss the 2:00 am tax return reviews and the phone calls from the clients asking why their return isn't done, "you've had the papers for 2 days already"? And "what do you mean I have to pay, if you were a good accountant I'd be getting a refund". Actually, I'm not complaining, It's not a bad way to make a living.

Quick Reply: Anyone done their taxes, yet?