S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Anytime anyone says its not the money, its the money!

Old 05-08-2012, 07:48 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts
Default Anytime anyone says its not the money, its the money!

I almost bought a BMW tonight. I love my Si but it's beginning to give me trouble. I'm afraid if I hold on to it much longer it's going to cost me an awful lot of money. It's prematurely old and tired. It needs to be replaced.

In the old days, I'd have an easy decision to make. I'd probably drive over to my Honda dealer, pick out a new Si and be done with it. But the new Si just isn't what it used to be. Since Honda tinkered with it and put a different engine in it, it's lost some of its excitememt. And, Consumers Reports was right, the Si and the whole Civic line just hasn't kept up with the market. The interior looks and feels cheap, and the cars just don't perform the way Honda's are supposed to. I know this first hand, I drove a 2012 Civic for a month while my Si was in the transmission hospital. It was terrible and I hated every minute of it.

So, I've started to look around. Very few cars excite me today. I would like to buy a Subaru BRZ but it doesn't really suit my needs. Perhaps if I didn't have the S2000 I'd buy it as a fun car, but I do have the S2000, and as a daily driver it just doesn't work for me. I love the Miata and the CR-Z but neither of them work either, both for the same reason as the BRZ. The only car that I really like and suits me is the BMW 328i.

I have some very specific needs (wants). I must have a navi for the places I go and to get home every night. I could buy a portable, but I've found that they don't work as well as the built in units and, they are much more easily stolen. I need a locking trunk for my computer and workpapers and I love having a moonroof. Above all, I must have a manual transmission. I've never really learned how to drive an automatic transmission and anyway every car I've ever owned with one has bored me to the point of selling it. Therein lies my problem. So few cars a being made with manual transmissions these days that it's become very hard to find, and especially if you want a navi. The dealers all tell me that people who buy navi's just don't want to shift gears. I don't believe it, but as they say, the proof of the pudding is in the pie. It's really hard to find a manual transmission with a navi.

Anyway, I started looking at BMWs last week and was astounded by the prices. A new 2012 BMW 3281 equiped the way I want is really expensive, somewhere in the neighborhood of $45,000 to $50,000. Too much for a car. Not to say that it isn't worth it, but it just isn't worth it to me. My heart won't let me spend that kind of money for a car, especially when there are so many better things to do with the money.

I almost gave up when I stumbled upon the website of a BMW dealer a few towns away. This is a very big dealer with quite a number of brands and pretty well known in Northern and Central New Jersey. As I perused his selection of new car inventory I noticed that he had about six or seven brand new leftover 2011 328i. Best of all two of them (both in silver, wouldn't you know) had manual transmissions. I couldn't believe my eyes. I should have known that the fact that they were silver was an omen. Oh, happy day! Upon further reading I saw that one of them had every thing I wanted and much more. Options that I would like but would never spend the money for. Anyway the MSRP was $40,835 but the black button said "Make an Offer". So I did. I clicked on the button and typed in, "If new and unused, $33,000". This was on Sunday night and much to my surprise, on Monday morning the Internet Sales Person called me to tell me that they'd accept my offer if I raised it to $33,500 if I financed the car. Trying to hide my excitement, I said absolutely not, I want to pay cash, take it or leave it. Once again, they accepted. I was floored. She asked me if I wanted the car to which I replied yes. I couldn't go on Monday night, but I told her I'd bet there on Tuesday evening. We made an appointment.

I decided to head home today at 4:00, pick up Adam, who was as excited as I was, and go to the dealer. I transferred the money into my checking account, made sure I had my insurance card with me, and together we headed to the dealer.

We had about 24 miles to go, and traffic was terrible. Did you ever notice that traffic is at it's worst when you're in a hurry to get somewhere? I don't know why that happens, but it does. Not only that, but whenever you're in a hurry you miss every light. Again, I don't know why, but its so. I let Adam drive because I'm sure I'd have gotten a speeding ticket if I drove, and we arrived at the dealer about 40 minutes later.

The receptionist paged the saleswoman and after about 10 minutes (the longest 10 minutes you've ever seen) she appeared. She said the car was right outside and handed me the key. I was sure something would be missing. Maybe no navi or sunroof. Something had to be missing, the deal was just too good to be true. The car was beautiful and as I opened the door I could smell the leather interior. I looked up at the sunroof and then at the navi. Wow, it's all here. I looked down and I put my hand on the shift lever. This must be the wrong car, its an automatic. "Oh no", she said,"its the right car, all of the 2011 leftovers are automatic". No, no it can't be, the internet ad says six speed manual transmission, I even printed it out and showed it to her. It was a mistake she said. All of the 2011s are automatic. According to her, all of the six speeds were long gone. She promptly told me that I could shift it just like a manual in the sport shift mode, but we know better. If theres no clutch it isn't a manual, period, end of story.

We went back into the showroom, Adam and I more than a bit disappointed. I asked about the 2012s, and as I already knew, the cheapest I could get one for was $43,000, much more than I want to spend. We stumbled out of the showroom, by now it was 7:30. We stopped at a diner on the way home, had dinner, and decided to keep the Si for one more year. I'll probably end up regretting that decision, but I just don't want to spend the money on a BMW and can't find any other car that I want.

Anytime anyone says it isn't the money, its the money.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:32 AM

Received 3,518 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Nothing is worse than having a Done Deal and showing up to find you've been jerked around.
Some years ago, I had been talking with a dealer about a Mazda MPV. somehow I was silly enough to let the discussion devolve into monthly payments instead of purchase price. I can do a pretty good job with finance calculations in my head. After I had left the dealer they called me back and relented that they were willing to do the deal for $400 a month. So I packed up the wife and young kids and headed over to pick it up. I'm about to sign the deal and realize they had added a year to the loan.

Needless to say, we left empty handed. and even though I really, really, reallllly wanted to smack him in the mouth, I managed to control my temper and not get arrested.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:43 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Great read Rob, too bad it wasn't the 6 speed you wanted ( I'm another that only has manuals)
Levi
Old 05-09-2012, 03:06 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Wow...what a bummer. Sounds like the old bait and switch. I'd have been pretty mad myself. That being said, the BMW is a nice car. The +1 had the 300 series convertible before he bought his Lexus and he really liked it. I did, too. But it is expensive. Decisions, decisions...

P.S Are you willing to consider a used one with manual? Or is it that it won't have navi? Or you are worried about the condition of the car?
Old 05-09-2012, 03:12 AM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts

For some reason, it tickles me to give money advice to a CPA. It must be because I listen to mine. He's steered me right for a long time.

A year or so ago, he told me to loosen up the strings a bit and enjoy life. That there's a time to have some fun with gotten gains.

Have fun Rob!!!

Do what makes you smile!!!

fltsfshr
Old 05-09-2012, 05:19 AM

Received 709 Likes on 434 Posts

I think what the dealer did to you was disgusting. Sorry. Best wishes.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That stinks! Oh you wanted a manual, come inside we can build one for you for $10M more. I would have lost it, good job keeping everything in perspective.
BTW - I drive a paddle shifter and it's nothing like a manual shift.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:16 AM

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I can understand the frustration. I have been looking at BMW's for 3 or 4 years now and just can't pull the trigger. The closest I came was last fall when they had a used 2010 335 with a six speed and low mileage at the local dealer. I bailed out when I saw that there had been problems with the HP fuel pump. There was a SB out on it, but what if it fails after the extended warranty? The cost of replacement was something like $5K. I've been told by many never buy a used BMW, too many potential problems that are extremely expensive to repair. I did look at the the 328 with the 4 cylinder turbo. I actually have an invite to test drive on an autoX track next week. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:30 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Well, I guess that clarifies why you probably don't want a used one...too bad.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:01 AM

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Speaking about manual gb's. I told the local Infiniti dealer that I wanted a MT and they said that nobody want's a manual. They did say, however, that everytime that they get a MT in, it's sold on the day it arrives. Go figure?

Quick Reply: Anytime anyone says its not the money, its the money!